PDA

View Full Version : Hingis beats #13 player in world!!

tennisjunkiela
02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Martina Hingis continues her charge back to the top of women's tennis!

She just defeated another top wta player - #13 ranked Natalie Dechy 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.

Hingis is proving each day that, even with her perceived "lack of power", she can still compete with the best. as much as i like sharapova and the williams sisters, they could learn a lesson or two from watching how smartly hingis plays, insteading of just bashing all the time.

i love her "brain over brawn" style of play!

BreakPoint
02-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I agree. Hingis is great for the women's game and I'm very glad to see her back on the WTA Tour. :D

Brigitte_B
02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I think Hingis will win at least one more Grand Slam,
and she behaves like a queen!

Martina Hingis continues her charge back to the top of women's tennis!

She just defeated another top wta player - #13 ranked Natalie Dechy 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.

Hingis is proving each day that, even with her perceived "lack of power", she can still compete with the best. as much as i like sharapova and the williams sisters, they could learn a lesson or two from watching how smartly hingis plays, insteading of just bashing all the time.

i love her "brain over brawn" style of play!

Applez
02-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Great job

Keep it going Martina

Hoping you will WIN the tournament

rfprse
02-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Um...now there's a forum for match results. Please check the sticky. :)

bismark
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
This year's French Open may be Hingis chance of a slam. The slow clay may cancel out the advantage big hitters have. But she needs to work on her fitness though.

Applez
02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
This year's French Open may be Hingis chance of a slam. The slow clay may cancel out the advantage big hitters have. But she needs to work on her fitness though.

I hope she wins it

Go Martina

Shabazza
02-02-2006, 02:05 AM
way to go Martina :D Who's she playing next?

Noelle
02-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Kirilenko's up next.

Is anyone getting this tournament on TV?

janipyt05
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
power really is everything if u don't use it right, its obvious that if u dont use power properly then it doesnt matter. Martina may not have as much power but what she lacks for she makes up in great placement and tennis smarts which i believe is far better than power.

Shabazza
02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Kirilenko's up next.

Is anyone getting this tournament on TV?
Not me. :( the next tournament they'll show here is Amsterdam...better than nothing I think.

Sixpointone
02-02-2006, 04:09 AM
I continue to be pleased and impressed with the comeback of Martina Hingis. Anytime that I can see someone play with that amount of Court sense and shot variety is a great thing.

Alexandros
02-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Natalie Dechy is hardly what I would call a power hitter. I still don't think Martina can compete with the top 5 or 6 elites in the women's game. If she's happy sitting around the bottom ten and going regularly deep in grand slams, good for her.

bluegrasser
02-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Not Compete ! she did pretty good against Clisters - yea, she was injured a little, but still took it to three sets.

bc-05
02-02-2006, 04:44 AM
can someone tape me the kirilenko match? they dont have any here

federerhoogenbandfan
02-02-2006, 05:46 AM
So this is the grand win of her comeback so far? :rolleyes: Dechy is a very good player but definitely no power player, nor a real contender for slams. Hingis`s best showing so far was taking Kim to 3, but Kim would have won 6-3, 6-2 or easier had she made the easy swing volley she blew at 6-3, 2-0, 0-40 on Hingis`s serve. Plus she had about 3 different injuries.

Noelle
02-02-2006, 05:56 AM
So this is the grand win of her comeback so far? :rolleyes: Dechy is a very good player but definitely no power player, nor a real contender for slams. Hingis`s best showing so far was taking Kim to 3, but Kim would have won 6-3, 6-2 or easier had she made the easy swing volley she blew at 6-3, 2-0, 0-40 on Hingis`s serve. Plus she had about 3 different injuries.Yes, but the point is that Kim still had trouble with her.

Besides, Hingis was gone for three years then shows up and starts competing at this level. I wish people could stop naysaying what she's accomplished right now before we really see what she's capable of at this stage. :roll:

By the way, janipyt05, your post below did not make sense.power really is everything if u don't use it right, its obvious that if u dont use power properly then it doesnt matter. Martina may not have as much power but what she lacks for she makes up in great placement and tennis smarts which i believe is far better than power.:confused:

Ash Doyle
02-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Hingis competed well with Clijsters and that match could have gone either way. Clijsters may be injured now, but I really don't think she was injured at the time of their match. She likes to say she is injured, but come on...Once she hit the court she showed nothing of the sorts. You can parrot what others said before Hingis's comeback began and think the women's game has made great advancement since Hingis's time, but sooner or later you're going to have to wake up and face reality.

...and I don't mean that as a dig against the women's game.

Carley1986
02-02-2006, 06:29 AM
power really is everything if u don't use it right, its obvious that if u dont use power properly then it doesnt matter. Martina may not have as much power but what she lacks for she makes up in great placement and tennis smarts which i believe is far better than power.

Do you mean

Power isn't everything if you don't use it right. It is obvious that if you don't use your power properly it doesn't matter how much power you have. Martina may not have as much power as the other girls, but she makes this up by using great placements and smart tennis, which I believe is far better than power alone.

Is it right?? :D

Babblelot
02-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Kirilenko's up next.

Is anyone getting this tournament on TV?Ah, a much better test, IMO. Go Martina!

Donnie Darko
02-02-2006, 06:49 AM

Thank you, Mr. Hall Monitor.

rfprse
02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Mr. Hall Monitor.
You're quite welcome. :)

The tennis guy
02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
So this is the grand win of her comeback so far? :rolleyes: Dechy is a very good player but definitely no power player, nor a real contender for slams. Hingis`s best showing so far was taking Kim to 3, but Kim would have won 6-3, 6-2 or easier had she made the easy swing volley she blew at 6-3, 2-0, 0-40 on Hingis`s serve. Plus she had about 3 different injuries.

Typical posting where if a player doesn't miss then she would have won easily. That's not the point. The point is she missed. The current top 5 players can pile up unforced errors often and easily.

Dechy was one or two points away from getting to the final of Australia Open last year.

By the way, Dechy is not currently ranked #13.

Michael Haller
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Ah, a much better test, IMO. Go Martina!

If you beat Dechy you should not have any trouble against Kirilenko types.

Serena2
02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Did Kirilenko play well in her last match? She beat Ivanovic, but she seems to loose strange matches anyway....Kirilenko could be a tougher opponent for Hingis especially if she plays like she did against Davenport at the Aus open.

Anyway....good luck Hingis! I wanna see the Hingis v Sharapova 1/2 showdown.

legolas
02-02-2006, 12:23 PM
so happy she is back, she is hotter too

MonkeyPox
02-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Maria K. is playing much better than Dechy at the moment. If she wasn't a choker/headcase I would like her chances against Hingis. If she can hold her nerve she can hit Martina off the court. I watched her completely melt down at the U.S. Open and couldn't believe how she played so great and then worse than a park player. And she didn't seem to care either way. Maria is extremely attractive however, if that counts for anything.
I'll go with Hingis in this one.

DaveGrable
02-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Not to mention she's one fabulous babe. Eye candy is good.

Deuce
02-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Kirilenko won't overpower anyone.

Her game is quite similar to that of Hingis.

arosen
02-02-2006, 09:48 PM
If Hingis gets to beat Sharapova, THEN Martina is defininitely in for another slam title. Kirilenko? No way.

Michael Haller
02-03-2006, 08:07 AM
If Hingis gets to beat Sharapova, THEN Martina is defininitely in for another slam title. Kirilenko? No way.

We must not go over the top too early. Beating Sharapova wouldn't mean that much. Don't forget that Sharapova didn't make the finals in the last SIX slams!

Rabbit
02-03-2006, 10:24 AM
We must not go over the top too early. Beating Sharapova wouldn't mean that much. Don't forget that Sharapova didn't make the finals in the last SIX slams!

I do wish that you would stop denigrating Sharapova simply because she's of Russian descent and has lived in America. Sound familiar? It should....that's what you sound like when speaking of American fans.

Gugafan_Redux
02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I continue to be pleased and impressed with the comeback of Martina Hingis. Anytime that I can see someone play with that amount of Court sense and shot variety is a great thing.

Every smart, thoughtful, terse post typed correctly makes up for 3 idiotic ones.

tennisjunkiela
02-03-2006, 11:28 AM

considering that this match nor tournament isn't on tv, i'm not sure that it is necessary to put a spoiler notice on this post or put in the match result forum

tennisjunkiela
02-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Dechy was one or two points away from getting to the final of Australia Open last year.

By the way, Dechy is not currently ranked #13.

my mistake - last week, dechy was ranked #13.

on this week, she is ranked #21 because she didn't defend her points from reaching the semis of last year's australian open; however, the point is that hingis is beating top pros as if she never left the game. props to hingis!

Michael Haller
02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I do wish that you would stop denigrating Sharapova simply because she's of Russian descent and has lived in America. Sound familiar? It should....that's what you sound like when speaking of American fans.

I don't denigrate Sharapova. But I don't take part in the Shara-hype. That girl has won a slam 1.5 years ago and has not backed it up with another slam final appearance. Although she is the best teen-age player by far that doesn't mean a lot as the oldies (Davenport, Mauresmo, Schnyder, Pierce) - who have seen better times some 5 or so years ago - still dominate today's game.

opiate
02-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't denigrate Sharapova. But I don't take part in the Shara-hype. That girl has won a slam 1.5 years ago and has not backed it up with another slam final appearance. Although she is the best teen-age player by far that doesn't mean a lot as the oldies (Davenport, Mauresmo, Schnyder, Pierce) - who have seen better times some 5 or so years ago - still dominate today's game.

I continue to not get any of your posts.