PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classic, how long will it last??

FireSon
02-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Triggered by some discussions on this board, I started searching for a new raquet.

With the help of raquet finder I tried to find the raquets which would give me a "best fit":
Swing weight: 320
Weight: 340 Gram (12 Once)
Headsize 90 - 98
Length 27"

The one that kept popping up was the Head Prestige Classic Mid, so finally I bought one from an auction site and man did I have a hard time adjusting to it!! The raquet I was using was a Tour90 & nTour 6.1 90 which are heavy sticks, both weigh 372 grams 13,1 Once including overgrip, so the weight difference is approx. 25 gram 0.9 Once). This weight difference was basically the whole idea for changing a raquete in the first place and was rather easy to adjust to. I got a lot of maneuverability at the net! which was exactly the thing I needed. The groundstrokes suffered the first week or so but once you get used to it, no problem.

The thing which was the hardest to adjust to was the shape of the handle! I have played with a Wilson raquet for more than 6 years and you never know how much you are accustomed to something like that until you switch! Especially on the "quick reaction" shots on the backhand side I had a lot of trouble often holding the racquet totally wrong!! On the other hand it seemed that my volleys and service improved due to the hande shape. I noticed that the "default position" of the racquet head in the continental grip was different compared to my previous racquets. And maybe I could "feel" the position of the racquet head better due to the more rectangular shape.

I also struggled with in the power in the beginning but when I tuned down the string tension to 25 kg (55 lbs) no problem at all!

An other thing I noticed that the "feel" of this racquet is better compared to the Tour 90 and the n6.1 90. In my opinion is it a compination of the maneuverablity and racquet response. This works for me very well on volleys and dropshots!

Probably also related to the weight of the racquet and swing weight (and handle shape??) I was able to improve my service as well. This also has to do with the paradigma that you have to swing harder on a second serve in order to generate enough spin. Because the specs of this racquet are more in my "comfort zone", I could improve the consistency and with improved consistency and confidence, improve the first serve as well. The topspeed I had with the Tour90 I still can not reach but it is happyly sacrificed to consistency!

Well I have played with the PC600 for more than 3 months now and I like it very much! The question which pops up now is how long will it last? Last in the sence of me being happy with racquet is something only time will tell, but more with regards to the racquet itself...

The racquet I have is a Prestige Classic 600 designed in Austria, from info I got from other posts on this board I think it is probably 8 years old(?) How long would I be able to play with it? The only thing I hit with the racquets are tennis balls, so I am not throwing it around...
I read somewhere that over the years a racquet can "go dead", how can you tell that? I have owned this racquet for 3 months now, so what happened to it before that I do not know...

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 05:17 AM
I am using 54lbs on PC600, nat gut, and it seems to work well for me (64lbs NXT Tour killed my elbow). Added lead: 12g total at 3 and 9 for more power and stability.

I am also using some racquet head protector tape over the CAPS grommets, just in case.

No problems with the handle/grip for me, even if I am using Wilsons on a regular basis.

christo
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes it would be nice if we could have our own custom pallet made like AA for instance, you could write a book on grip shape, Fischer being my all time worst. I kind like the Head, probably because i use Eastern FH, which then screws up my Eastern BH ( trying to get my index knuckle on th top bevel is harder) You DO eventually get used to whatever you use thank God.

Brad Smith
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Rackets go dead primarily through restringing. The act of stringing a racket puts a lot of stress on a frame, particularly if strung on lower end machines with less support. So the best thing you can do is find a string you like that lasts for a long time.

For the grip shape I have built up the narrow sides to make the grip more of a square. I think it helps out on my backhand which tends to get a little wristy with the regular Head grip shape. I used the stuff that you can use for building up a grip cut into strips.

Loud
02-02-2006, 04:58 PM
C'mon TW...bring em back...

Brad Smith
02-02-2006, 05:02 PM
TW *is* bringing them back.

Loud
02-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Excellent...what was the price the last time they had em?

backhand_finish
02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
PC 600 is a relly bad racket! Sell yours to me in a real cut down price! ;)

jackson vile
02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
PC 600 is a relly bad racket! Sell yours to me in a real cut down price! ;)

LOL ROFL:mrgreen:

Ronaldo
02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Jackson, sold a dozen for like $35 each including 3-PC600 XL. Duh!!!!!!