PDA

View Full Version : Tour O3 95" review continued -

bluegrasser
02-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Played my second match with the tour and played fairly well with it, the serve was ok, but not the weight of the prestige, it feels more head light. The one thing that bugs me is the muted feel, it has the sensation ( best analogy ) of ten string dampers, but otherwise a nice stick, more power than the mp, which doesn't make sense.

moist
02-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Stiffer and heavier explains the power I think. Same situation with the Diablos.

bluegrasser
02-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Does anyone have the specs on the mid? flex, weight, etc..

THE ANIMAL
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Its writen on the throat of the racket.

bluegrasser
02-02-2006, 08:39 AM
animal- this is the mid 95" - anyway i was hoping for something like ( specs ) TW puts out. It feels more firm than the MP.

emerckx53
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM
animal- this is the mid 95" - anyway i was hoping for something like ( specs ) TW puts out. It feels more firm than the MP.

Hey Bluegrasser,

Thanks for the beer............I am still trying to decide between the 03 tour mid and the Volkl T10 ve93. I did hit the 03 mid.....I know what you mean about the muted feel...I happen to like it because it feels very damped and comfortable. You probably wish you had more feedback...It is soooo solid however...no vibration no nothing! It's a pretty light racquet and light swingweight BUT it is not short on power at all. I am still torn. I will have to hit them at the same time...does Kevin have them in stock now?

Michael

moist
02-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I was torn pretty hard between the very different n61 95 and the o3 tour midplus. I absolutely loved some things about the o3(liked the damped feel too), but overall I liked the rock solid feel of the n61 for most shots. Especially serves and vollies, where the n61 was the clear winner. I can't wait to try the o3 mid.

devilish_duke
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Is the O3 tour mid supposed to be the O3 version of the POG mid? Or is that one still in development?

THE ANIMAL
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM

If youv hit with it the you should have looked into the throat. There is no difference the mid still has it written in the throat area. Do a search the specs have been posted earlier.

legolas
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
i cant wait to try them

mark1
02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
does anyone know the easiest way to modify the prince grip shape to one more like a volkl? is it possible? has it been done?

jackson vile
02-02-2006, 07:38 PM
yes is a bit of work but IMO easy will post demostration on this at some point:rolleyes:

bluegrasser
02-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Mike - I have the demo, also Prince has a replacement damper that goes in the throat area if you don't like the dampened feel.

Jalapeno2006
02-03-2006, 05:38 AM
If you have the demo... please tell us the specs on the throat. It is impossible to decifer the specs on prince racquets as long as they keep on doing their testing without strings. Is there anything exciting spec wise you have to share. Also, how does the odd 16 x 20 pattern play. Something tells me that it would be a nice equilibrium. I'm still afraid to go below a 18 x 19. When are they going to be available on TW? Lastly... where can we demo one? Do i need to know a shop?

THE ANIMAL
02-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Specs on frame:

power level: 750
swing weight: 300
lenght: 27 in
unstrung weight: 325 gm or 11.5 oz (strung up around 12.05oz 340 grams)
unstrung balance: 30.5cm or 12.0 in.
head size: 95 sq in
rec tension: 56 +- 5
string pattern: 16x20S

Marius_Hancu
02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Played my second match with the tour and played fairly well with it, the serve was ok, but not the weight of the prestige, it feels more head light. The one thing that bugs me is the muted feel, it has the sensation ( best analogy ) of ten string dampers, but otherwise a nice stick, more power than the mp, which doesn't make sense.

is this a similar muted feel to the ncodes?

Jalapeno2006
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
RAR!!! i understand i can go to the Prince Homepage and check their specs... but it is without strings... the swingweight is not 300 unless it is one mile head light... does anyone know of a source that has done testing on this stick?

bluegrasser
02-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Marius: the Tour has a more muted feel the the Ncode by far, it's hard to articulate, but almost zero vibration.

THE ANIMAL
02-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Its not hard to understand why they have such low swing weights as there is so much racket missing in the head area ie all the O3 holes to get mine with a swing weight of 327 i had to put in 11 grams of lead in the head.

byteme45
02-04-2006, 06:42 AM
According to the USRSA racquettech web site the listed specs for the O3 MS are

Company -Prince
Racquet - O3 Tour MS
Len. - 27
Wt. - 338
Bal. cm - 31.75
Swgwt - 315
Headsize - 95
Flex - 65

Anyone know how 31.75 balance point equates to "point head light"?

Note: All specs are taken from actual racquets, which are represented to us as being samples of production racquets. They are typically size 3 grips (4 3/8"), and each racquet is measured strung.

I've got one on order from my guy and am looking forward to hitting with it. I've been swinging an n-Code 6.1 95 16x18 for over 1.5 years and really like it. However, I hit with the O3 Tour 100 and I really liked parts of it and am hoping the MS brings it all home.

Also, does it come with the "less damped" damper or is that a special order item?

bluegrasser
02-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I warmed up today with the tour mid, but it felt too light even though it's 12 + oz's, so I brought the Prestige out of the bag, and it felt more solid, more weight going through the ball. I agree with 'animal' in that the head is so light.

mark1
02-04-2006, 07:53 AM
why in gods name does everything have to be so stiff nowadays! where are the 60ra and less frames????????

emerckx53
02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
why in gods name does everything have to be so stiff nowadays! where are the 60ra and less frames????????

Find us a stack of C10 Pro Tours and the search is over!

Jalapeno2006
02-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks Byteme45 for that satisfying post. A swingweight of 317 is still low, but it is believable at least.

On that balance issue... they are just using metric... here's how to find the balance...

Note: One inch equals 2.54 centimeters.

Balance point of 31.75 / 2.54 = 12.5

Mid point of a standard length racquet is 13.5 inches

13.5-12.5 = 1

1 x 8 = 8 points head light...

Thought it would have been around 11 pts.

To settle the thing about swingweight... i ran a thread on whether or not there is a precise formula to calculate it... considering there are strange instances such as this in which it doesn't exactly make sense... and the conslusion was that there are too many factors - such as weight distrubution which would not be noticed by a simple balance test - to calculate swingweight. The only reason why i protested is because 300 is REALLY low. I appologize if i was short with you "animal".

One last thing... seriously... does anyone have an idea of when this stick will be available. The more i think about it, the more i think i would love it.

southpaw
02-04-2006, 11:35 PM

Probably because it is difficult to market and sell low power frames.

I am actually surprised and impressed at the high count of recently released frames with low flex numbers. The mspeed, redondo, tfight325, flexpoint radical, tour 10ve, and rdx are all good modern frames with flex measurements at or below 60.

It's even more striking when you realize that those modern frames are actually softer than the 20 year old icons - ps85(66), and pog(66mid, 63os).

THE ANIMAL
02-05-2006, 01:57 AM
To settle the thing about swingweight... i ran a thread on whether or not there is a precise formula to calculate it... considering there are strange instances such as this in which it doesn't exactly make sense... and the conslusion was that there are too many factors - such as weight distrubution which would not be noticed by a simple balance test - to calculate swingweight. The only reason why i protested is because 300 is REALLY low. I appologize if i was short with you "animal".

One last thing... seriously... does anyone have an idea of when this stick will be available. The more i think about it, the more i think i would love it.

No probs man you got to remember that the 300 sw measurement was in unstrung form thatís what Princes specs are all given at also when strung up it will be around 12 to 17 higher i.e. anything between 312 to 317.

byteme45
02-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks Byteme45 for that satisfying post. A swingweight of 317 is still low, but it is believable at least.

Not a problem, glad I could help.

My guy has told me that the O3 MS is gonna be released on the 10th so I should expect it early next week. He's a Prince rep and got this directly from Prince. We'll have to just wait and see! But, I'll definately post impressions.

I did hit with the O3 Tour 100 over a month ago for just one set. I liked it and liked the feel but too much power. It was great for lobs and I really felt like I hit the sweetspot a lot, but I string my 6.1 95's at 65 or so to take power out of them - the O3 was strung at the club, mid to low 50's and was on the verge of breaking so I'm thinking that had plenty to do with the power impression.

mark1
02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
bytyme....in terms of stiffness, please compare the O3 mid to the Midplus.

Thanks

DANMAN
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM
The mid easily feels stiffer than the midplus by a few points. I have played with both quite a bit.