PDA

View Full Version : "Why I play 10 ft behind the baseline - I'm a big Guga fan", by Andy Roodick.

Mr Topspin
02-02-2006, 06:27 AM
lol

Sorry folks i couldn't resist after watching some old tennis matches from the very reliable and proffesional Tennis Nexus! Plug!! Keep up the good work.

I was watching some old Kuerten matches and noticed that he used to stand 10 ft behind the base line. Whilst he was playing Sampras and Agassi in the TMC in Lisbon the commentators were suggesting that he defied conventional wisdom but still beat both players back to back being so far back.

It's amusing that that style worked for Kuerten who was able to totally outplay Agassi in the final in 2000 and outplay AA being so far back. Today we tend to agree that being so far back is detrimental to Roddick's game and is the reason why so many players are controlling the rally when they play him. However, it seemed to work for kuerten and enabled him to put a lot of returns back into play and most surprisingly he was able to dictate the tempo of the majority of base line rally's against one of the strongest baseliners of our time, Andre Agassi. Furthermore he was able to beat Sampras and break his serve despite Pete's attempt's to serve out wide and volley on every point.

Therefore, perhaps there is hope for Roddick as he adopts the same principle and although it may not be working for him now it may lead to long term success when he develops his skills further.

Babblelot
02-02-2006, 06:37 AM
1. most surprisingly he was able to dictate the tempo of the majority of base line rally's against one of the strongest baseliners of our time, Andre Agassi.

2. Furthermore he was able to beat Sampras and break his serve despite Pete's attempt's to serve out wide and volley on every point.Two things not evident in Roddick's game.

Noelle
02-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Andy is NOT a good returner or defensive player; being 10 feet behind the baseline often results in him losing the point.

SteveI
02-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Andy is NOT a good returner or defensive player; being 10 feet behind the baseline often results in him losing the point.

Hi,

Andy plays "Brain-dead" tennis.. and his coach is clueless. He needs to bring Brad back but his oversized ego will never allow that.. so he is going to lose ground each year until he makes a move to play smarter tennis.

Steve

Noelle
02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Actually I think Brad won't allow it either, nor will ESPN (you guys are stuck with his commentating for the next few years); "that ship has sailed," says Jon Wertheim.

I do agree with you about the smarter tennis part, though.

SteveI
02-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Actually I think Brad won't allow it either, nor will ESPN (you guys are stuck with his commentating for the next few years); "that ship has sailed," says Jon Wertheim.

I do agree with you about the smarter tennis part, though.

Hi,

Ok.. any good coach that is a not an Andy "Yes Man" as his current coach is. I love to see Brad in the booth at ESPN.. great stuff.

Steve

bc-05
02-02-2006, 07:05 AM
good coach for him would b todd woodbridge.. talkin about smartness

vllockhart
02-02-2006, 08:14 AM
lol

Sorry folks i couldn't resist after watching some old tennis matches from the very reliable and proffesional Tennis Nexus! Plug!! Keep up the good work.

I was watching some old Kuerten matches and noticed that he used to stand 10 ft behind the base line. Whilst he was playing Sampras and Agassi in the TMC in Lisbon the commentators were suggesting that he defied conventional wisdom but still beat both players back to back being so far back.

It's amusing that that style worked for Kuerten who was able to totally outplay Agassi in the final in 2000 and outplay AA being so far back. Today we tend to agree that being so far back is detrimental to Roddick's game and is the reason why so many players are controlling the rally when they play him. However, it seemed to work for kuerten and enabled him to put a lot of returns back into play and most surprisingly he was able to dictate the tempo of the majority of base line rally's against one of the strongest baseliners of our time, Andre Agassi. Furthermore he was able to beat Sampras and break his serve despite Pete's attempt's to serve out wide and volley on every point.

Therefore, perhaps there is hope for Roddick as he adopts the same principle and although it may not be working for him now it may lead to long term success when he develops his skills further.

Andy's game is nowhere near as complete as Guga's is. Andy doesn't have the variety of shots. I do like that Andy is starting to utilize the slice backhand more, but he has a long way to go.

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Just to make things clear, if there was a need for it (:-)): ARod isn't moving the way Guga was.

Guga was the man on springs, ever on his toes, bouncing from one position to another, not running.

The tennis guy
02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
What's record of Kuerten vs Agassi, Kuerten vs Sampras? Success in one match doesn't mean continued success.

devila
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
4-7
2002 Los Angeles, Hard, Q
CA, U.S.A. Hard Q Agassi 6 7 6 3 4 6

2001 Los Angeles, Hard, S
CA, U.S.A. Hard S Agassi 7 6 3 6 3 6

2000 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, F
Lisbon, Portugal Hard F Kuerten 6 4 6 4 6 4

2000 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, RR
Lisbon, Portugal Hard RR Agassi 6 4 4 6 3 6

2000 Miami, Hard, S
FL, U.S.A. Hard S Kuerten 6 1 6 4

1999 Singles Championship, Hard, RR
Germany Hard RR Agassi 4 6 5 7

1999 Cincinnati, Hard, Q
OH, U.S.A. Hard Q Agassi 2 6 6 7

1999 Wimbledon, Grass, Q
England Grass Q Agassi 3 6 4 6 4 6

1998 San Jose, Hard, R16
CA, U.S.A. Hard R16 Agassi 3 6 1 6

1997 Cincinnati, Hard, R64
OH, U.S.A. Hard R64 Kuerten 6 3 6 1

1997 Memphis, Hard, R32
TN, U.S.A. Hard R32 Kuerten 6 2 6 4

1-2
2000 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, S
Lisbon, Portugal Hard S Kuerten 6 7 6 3 6 4

2000 Miami, Hard, F
FL, U.S.A. Hard F Sampras 1 6 7 6 6 7 6 7

1999 Singles Championship, Hard, RR
Germany Hard RR Sampras 2 6 3 6

jgunnink
02-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I love Guga, but as he only ever won the French, you would probably have to view this strategy as working best on clay.

byealmeens
02-03-2006, 06:06 AM
I love Guga, but as he only ever won the French, you would probably have to view this strategy as working best on clay.
I'm no fan of this strategy by any means, but when you consider the fact that a well-known clay-courter - Conchita Martinez - beat the queen of grass - Martina Navratilova - at Wimbledon standing back that far, there must be something to it. I remember watching that final and could not believe how often Martinez could hit good backhand returns off of Martina's lefty slice out wide - not to mention the fact that Martina was serving-and-volleying on almost every serve. Crazy. Seems if you're athletic enough, you can get away with it....

legolas
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
yeah

GrandSlam Legend
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
andy roddick needs to hit flat if he stands 10 feet behind the baseline... too much topspin

Gugafan_Redux
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
What? Roddick was asking about me?
;)

I think maybe Guga's height and wingspan helped him hit returns out wide from far back. Andy's lunging two-hander swat just isn't cutting it.

How about a pic of our dearly missed monkey boy?

http://www.sixmeatbuffet.com/images/tennis/2001/guga2_big.jpg