PDA

View Full Version : I strung my very first racket last night!!!!

ATXtennisaddict
02-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Took out my klipper which I haven't used since I bought 3-4 months ago. I sat down with the manual,time,and more importantly,patience!

Instead of reading too much, I mixed reading + LOOKING AT PICS. Got stuck initially (bad picture) but wound up figuring it out and after everything...took about 2.5 hours. Sure, there's a need for improvement but with practice,I'll be saving me a lot of money!!!!! :D

p/s: The stringing guide didn't have a Ncode 6.1 95. So I followed the stringing specs for the PS 6.1 95 classic. They said to start the cross at the top. I had to start at the bottom. I guess I'm ok though...just wondering if anyone else had same thing. I mean, they are both 16x19 I believe.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
congrats, you beat me! my first frame took a little over three hours on a
klipper. i got my time down to 45 min for my frame. a little more practice
and you will get there also. your ncode is probably a 16x18, although they
also make a 18x20.
i think you will find it better for the frame to start your crosses at the top
and string to the throat.

reason for edit: mistyped 18x20, typo 16x20 duh!

devilish_duke
02-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Congrats, any suggestions or tips for someone who's looking to start stringing his own racquets as well?

ATXtennisaddict
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
congrats, you beat me! my first frame took a little over three hours on a
klipper. i got my time down to 45 min for my frame. a little more practice
and you will get there also. your ncode is probably a 16x18, although they
also make a 16x20.
i think you will find it better for the frame to start your crosses at the top
and string to the throat.

It's a one-piece string job. The string, before the crossing began, was at the bottom.

I guess if it were 2 piece though, then I would start on top as well.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 11:48 AM
you would need to skip the last main and bring that string back to the top
after stringing the crosses. you are a brave man, one piece for a first job
on a klipper.

ATXtennisaddict
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
you would need to skip the last main and bring that string back to the top
after stringing the crosses. you are a brave man, one piece for a first job
on a klipper.

Oh, skip the last main? Hmm...gotta think about that one.

Brave man, one piece on klipper... wha...??~!!

ATXtennisaddict
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Congrats, any suggestions or tips for someone who's looking to start stringing his own racquets as well?

I can just tell you it was a very satisfying feeling to do it.

Masamusou
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
yourserve is referring to the ATW pattern. Search it and you will find some instructions on how to do it. It's a way to string the crosses from the head down with one-piece on a racquet where the mains tie off at the throat.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Oh, skip the last main? Hmm...gotta think about that one.

Brave man, one piece on klipper... wha...??~!!

i started on a klipper. so for me to think that your first job was a one
piece on a klipper is very impressive. i was trying to compliment you.
sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

dancraig
02-02-2006, 12:24 PM
i started on a klipper. so for me to think that your first job was a one
piece on a klipper is very impressive. i was trying to compliment you.
sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

Yeah, you need a little bravery to start out one piece on a Klippermate. If that floating clamp pops off, near the end of the job, you have lost all your work and would have to start all over. If you were doing it two piece, you would only have to do the crosses over.

Kevo
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
My first stringing machine was a Klipper as well. I did one piece on mine too. Didn't really know any different just followed the pattern in the book. I also remember having a bit of difficulty with starting off as well. It may have been the same picture. :-)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure mine paid for itself in less than a year. So it was certainly worth the money.

CheapStrings
02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
ATX, keep reading this board. You'll get a lot of good info (and maybe a little bad). Be sure to do a search on ATW to learn how to do it and especially WHY. It's pretty important. I used a Klipper for 3 years and was very satisfied with the string jobs.

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 05:36 AM
ATX, keep reading this board. You'll get a lot of good info (and maybe a little bad). Be sure to do a search on ATW to learn how to do it and especially WHY. It's pretty important. I used a Klipper for 3 years and was very satisfied with the string jobs.

Isn't ATW the same as the one-piece mentioned in the klipper manual? Tie off at throat? I didn't do that....tied off at bottom but at the THROAT?

Masamusou
02-03-2006, 05:53 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84554

DXS
02-03-2006, 05:56 AM
You might want to start doing a ATW or two piece starting the crosses at the top and working your way back down to the throat. Doing crosses starting at the botom adds a great deal of stress to the frame and can cause the frame to crack.

Good job though. I think I finsihed my first at around 3 hours, but that was 20 years ago. I love to string. For some reason it very relaxing to me.

-ds

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 07:06 AM
You might want to start doing a ATW or two piece starting the crosses at the top and working your way back down to the throat. Doing crosses starting at the botom adds a great deal of stress to the frame and can cause the frame to crack.

Good job though. I think I finsihed my first at around 3 hours, but that was 20 years ago. I love to string. For some reason it very relaxing to me.

-ds

Yowzers, I think I'll go home and cut out my strings and do it ATW! I started from bottom up cuz I saw my friend do it that way. Now I know better thanks to you folks!

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 07:07 AM
If I do it 2 piece though...tie off the mains at bottom and start the crosses from top too as well right?

CheapStrings
02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Isn't ATW the same as the one-piece mentioned in the klipper manual? Tie off at throat? I didn't do that....tied off at bottom but at the THROAT?
ATX,
The throat and bottom are the same. Many rqts. stipulate to string them from the top to the bottom. This puts less stress on the racquet. Wilson and a few other rqts. allow doing crosses from bottom to the top.

When doing 1 piece there is no problem if the last main ends at the top. In this case the crosses can "naturally" be done top to bottom. Many times however, the last main ends at the bottom.

The various ATW patterns allow stringing crosses top down with 1 piece when the mains end at the bottom. In the simplest pattern for an even number of crosses leave the last main undone and start doing the crosses at the top. The last cross at the bottom ends up on the same side as that last undone main so weave it and tie off at the top. There are many other variations.

yourserve
02-03-2006, 10:41 AM
If I do it 2 piece though...tie off the mains at bottom and start the crosses from top too as well right?
you are correct

quest01
02-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Do you need a string machine to string your own racquet?

CheapStrings
02-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Yes, they hold the racquet secure and have mechanisms that allow tensioning the strings.

dancraig
02-03-2006, 05:46 PM

I have heard that in the days of wooden racquets there were guys who could string without a machine. They would hold the racquet, maybe between their knees, and pull each string. The string was wrapped around a piece of wood. Then they would cram an awl in the hole to hold the tension while pulling the next string. I heard about one guy that took tension requests like medium, tight and extra tight. They said he was incredibly accurate at reproducing a consistent stringbed.

dmastous
02-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I have heard that in the days of wooden racquets there were guys who could string without a machine. They would hold the racquet, maybe between their knees, and pull each string. The string was wrapped around a piece of wood. Then they would cram an awl in the hole to hold the tension while pulling the next string. I heard about one guy that took tension requests like medium, tight and extra tight. They said he was incredibly accurate at reproducing a consistent stringbed.

I just talked with a guy said he's been stringing for 60 years. He said you gauged the tension by plucking the string and listening to the ping.

dmastous
02-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Have you ever tried to pull a string, any string, to 60 lbs? Can you pull a string to that tension and can you tell when you've got it???
I can't. :mrgreen:

dancraig
02-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I just talked with a guy said he's been stringing for 60 years. He said you gauged the tension by plucking the string and listening to the ping.

Yeah, sometimes I pluck the mains, before I start the crosses, to see if corresponding mains have nearly the same pitch. I've even pulled them out and started over if I wasn't satisfied with the pitch results.

rfprse
02-03-2006, 11:11 PM
p/s: The stringing guide didn't have a Ncode 6.1 95. So I followed the stringing specs for the PS 6.1 95 classic. They said to start the cross at the top. I had to start at the bottom. I guess I'm ok though...just wondering if anyone else had same thing. I mean, they are both 16x19 I believe.
You can find the instruction on Wilson site.

ATXtennisaddict
02-04-2006, 10:34 AM
oh man, trouble. Saw some hairline cracks on the throat of the racket. I stopped using it during my match, cut out the strings later. Gonna restring it the new way.

samster
02-04-2006, 10:51 AM
May be you strung it too tight? What tension did you use?

Gaines Hillix
02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
oh man, trouble. Saw some hairline cracks on the throat of the racket. I stopped using it during my match, cut out the strings later. Gonna restring it the new way.

Although it's best to string all frames from the top down, Wilson o.k.'s stringing bottom up on most of their frames whose mains end at the throat, including the nSixOne 95. This is true on the 16X18 or 18X20 version of this frame. Here's a simple ATW pattern if you want to continue to do this frame one piece with the crosses top down;

Leave the last short side main off, tying off the short side at the head. Then string the long side mains as usual, and then string your first cross at the throat. From there, continue up to install the last main on the short side (from bottom to top), and then fill in the crosses from the head. When you use this technique, none of the outer mains or crosses end up losing tension from the untensioned string going to a tie-off knot. This means you won't have customers complaining about how easy it is to move the last main on one side of the racquet. The downside to this one is that every other cross weave is a semi-hard weave.

rfprse
02-04-2006, 04:27 PM
You can try to return it to Wilson if it's under warranty. I think their racquets are under warranty for 1 year after the purchase.

ShooterMcMarco
02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
i strung poly for the first time today, wow it sucked.

ATXtennisaddict
02-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I restrung my racket using 2-piece system. Worked just fine. :) But I'll try to learn the ATW method Gaines mentioned.

Newberry
02-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Congrats! I'm on my 6th racquet and have been through pretty much the same things you've encountered. 2-piece jobs have been much easier for me.
Let us know how that ATW job goes. I'm going to give it a go in the future.
I found this link to be helpful in understanding ATW:
http://students.washington.edu/~jdeng/ATW/index.html