PDA

View Full Version : What level to make it worth giving BB/Timo a try?

RichardMiller
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm a 3.0-3.5 player currently using a n6.1 95 strung at 60lbs with PSG. Just curious about whether it's worth my while trying out BB or Timo at my ability level? i.e. is there only a benefit to these kind of strings when you're a lot better than a 3.0? would using them stop me from developing the correct stroke mechanics in any way? - know that I've got loads more to learn so don't wan't equipment to get in the way of that. Would I have to restring very often (heard about them going mushy after a couple of weeks).

Anyway, just tempted by giving a Timo 17 with PSG (cross) hybrid setup a go (not a big string breaker so can't see the benefit of BB)
Cheers,
Richard.

Ripper
02-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Interesting question. Let's see. The two principle reasons to use polys are to keep your strings from breaking too fast and/or to lower the power of your raquet. So, I'd say you could start experimenting with them when either, you've started to snap your strings at a fast rate and/or you've started to experiment with faster swings and you're spraying balls around. One word of caution on this last part, though. Some (large headed) people who want to start swinging fast and long, buy low powered (small headed... lol) raquets and strings, BEFORE they learn the right technique for doing these swings. This, IMHO, is stupid. 1st, you learn the technique and, THEN, you should figure out what's the right raquet/string setup for you.

Edit/Disclaimer: The previous comments on large/small heads are JOKES.

Rabbit
02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
My advice is to use a good multi

goober
02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Since you say you are not a big string breaker, I would use regular syn gut. It will not hold you back from being a 4.0+ I can assure you :)

RichardMiller
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll be sticking with PSG for now.

Cruzer
02-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm a 3.0-3.5 player currently using a n6.1 95 strung at 60lbs with PSG. Just curious about whether it's worth my while trying out BB or Timo at my ability level? i.e. is there only a benefit to these kind of strings when you're a lot better than a 3.0? would using them stop me from developing the correct stroke mechanics in any way? - know that I've got loads more to learn so don't wan't equipment to get in the way of that. Would I have to restring very often (heard about them going mushy after a couple of weeks).

Anyway, just tempted by giving a Timo 17 with PSG (cross) hybrid setup a go (not a big string breaker so can't see the benefit of BB)
Cheers,
Richard.

My advice is don't get caught up in the hype and popularity of using a Luxilon polyester. The primary benefit of using a string like BB is the duarability. If you don't break strings quickly then you are not likely going to observe any positive effect from a Luxilon polyester. You increase the risk of developing arm pain since polyester strings are comparitively very stiff. I am a 3.5 player and have tried a couple of the Luxilon strings, BB Original 16 and Timo 18 and found they did nothing for me. I continue to use either gut or a good quality multifilament and I find that they are far better than any Luxilon string both in terms of overall playability and cost.

DXS
02-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I would still give the poly's a try. You will find that if you string them low enough they are still relativley comfortable plus I notice a great deal more spin as I can feel the strings bite into the ball. I've used full nat. gut and I miss the biting feel from the poly.

-ds