PDA

View Full Version : About Luxilon Polys, Low Tensions and String Movement.

Ripper
02-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I used to not be bothered by string movement, but, recently, I tried poly (Prince) for the first time and just fell in love with how the strings would be so straight all the time. Furthermore, I'm about to try Luxilon polys for the first time and need to ask something related to this subject. I know Luxilon polys are famous, in between many other things, for keeping straight. However, am I correct in assuming that, with Luxilon, you'll still need to align a string or two, from time to time, just that a lot less??? And will this need increase, even if ever so slightly, the lower the reference tension is set???

smittysan89
02-02-2006, 02:30 PM
seriously dude who cares, you probably will have to move a string every once in a while but barely any, is it that big a deal? It takes 2 seconds.

Midlife crisis
02-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I've only used Signum poly strings, but they stay straight no matter how I hit, and I can hit with about as wild of a topspin swing as anyone. The string is very stiff so the weaving keeps it in place. They also indent a little bit as they are pressed against each other at the crosses so that also helps them stay in place.

Bottle Rocket
02-02-2006, 08:50 PM
My experience has been that they never move until they are "dead". After about 15 hours the whole feel changes. They begin to move and feel a little "loose". Performance still seems to be fairly good, just a totally different feel. Besides the outer most strings that I only move on a total mis-hit, I have never adjusted them.

The way I understand it, most all Poly's "die" after a while. It may just be tension loss, but I don't really know. Apparently Luxilon is one of the better ones, if not the best at retaining tension.

I know a lot of people can't understand the people that get bothered by the string movement, but I am on the other side of that... I just can't deal with it.

diredesire
02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I used to not be bothered by string movement, but, recently, I tried poly (Prince) for the first time and just fell in love with how the strings would be so straight all the time. Furthermore, I'm about to try Luxilon polys for the first time and need to ask something related to this subject. I know Luxilon polys are famous, in between many other things, for keeping straight. However, am I correct in assuming that, with Luxilon, you'll still need to align a string or two, from time to time, just that a lot less??? And will this need increase, even if ever so slightly, the lower the reference tension is set???

If you're talking about the NEWer prince poly, the luxilon should be very similar to it. The movement is near zero on the luxilon strings, they indent/slightly groove a little bit and stay locked in place. It's a rare occurence to see one misaligned. Hope this is what you're looking for.

I imagine the strings would move a little more with a lower reference tension, but i think it would depend more on your string pattern.

chess9
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
I have had zero string movement from Ace, Timo, and PPP. I string around 60 reference tension, not 10% lower. So far, I've gotten about 20 hours on Ace, 15 hours on Timo, and 5 hours on PPP and no movement. My Wilson Fed stick is strung at 54 with Bow Brand 18 gauge gut and it moves around a LOT. That's very irritating and one of the reasons I detest low string tensions. Of course, I'm neurotic....

-Robert
________
Suzuki splash history (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_Splash)

Ripper
02-03-2006, 08:04 AM
seriously dude who cares, you probably will have to move a string every once in a while but barely any, is it that big a deal? It takes 2 seconds.

I know. I'm nuts.

Edit: You know what I hate more than strings that move? Strings that move and that are hard to put back in place!

Ripper
02-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Of course, I'm neurotic....

Me too :cool: