PDA

View Full Version : nPro-What should I string it with?

b-dizzle
02-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm getting a Wilson nPro- what strings would you suggest, and at what tension should I have it strung? Please excuse the n00bness, I just don't know much about the stringing aspect of a racket.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 11:54 AM
i'm not familiar with that frame. but you should post your style of game
and level of play and someone will offer you a great suggestion.
and also how often you break strings would be useful.
best of luck in your decision.

Ben42
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
If you're talking about the 98, not the Surge then it's not very string sensitive to me. I like Lightning-XX 17 in it the best. Sensation was good also. So was Reaction.

The only string I really didn't like in it was E-Matrix 17. It played fairly well, but my wrist and arm feel sore. I don't know why, it's supposed to be pretty soft.

b-dizzle
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Sorry bout that. The n-Pro is here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WNPRO.html
I am going to demo the nPro Surge X and just demoed the nPro 98 so I have yet to decide which I'm getting for sure. I also am going to try the Dunlop mFil 300 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300.html). I'm a 3.0 player who uses a western forehand and a 2-handed backhand- I use spin a little, but it's not a big issue for me. I have been using a US Open up until now (a dense, cheap graphite-titanium Wilson). It was prestrung, which is why I don't know much about the string aspect. I havn't broken the strings on it ever.

So, what would be the best strings and tension for the nPro 98, nPro Surge X, or Dunlop mFil 300? Perhaps it is different for everyone, I just want a suggestion.

vinnier6
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
i demoed that racquet and surge and the surge x...i liked the npro surge the best, but i ended up with the fxp radical tour...anyway, the all of thoes green wilsons are stiff and need to be softend up with a nice soft multi stirng...i was using nxt tour in the surge and really like the feel that it gave it...

PBODY99
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Sorry bout that. The n-Pro is here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WNPRO.html
I am going to demo the nPro Surge X and just demoed the nPro 98 so I have yet to decide which I'm getting for sure. I also am going to try the Dunlop mFil 300 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300.html). I'm a 3.0 player who uses a western forehand and a 2-handed backhand- I use spin a little, but it's not a big issue for me. I have been using a US Open up until now (a dense, cheap graphite-titanium Wilson). It was prestrung, which is why I don't know much about the string aspect. I havn't broken the strings on it ever.

So, what would be the best strings and tension for the nPro 98, nPro Surge X, or Dunlop mFil 300? Perhaps it is different for everyone, I just want a suggestion.

Going to a tournament level" frame from a prestrung is the start of a new journey. Just string the frame close to the tension that the demo was, and start your record keeping. In this great game everybody is an artist, so you will have to take some time to get your tools just right.
Good Luck.:cool:

matchpoint54
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
If you could afford it, I would suggest a hybrid of gut and a different string.

ong1
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
im suggesting a poly like babolat pro hurricane 16/17, i strung it two days ago and hit with it as well...it was the best string i have ever used, the good thing is that they don't really move and provides a good feel, its got lots of pop and control on serves and groundstrokes as well
my serves were way more consistent and literally bombarded my opponent, i don't know how many times i aced him with this string...it was just so good
i used to use prince lightning xx on one of my shark and PSGD on the other shark, i thought both strings were too hard and harsh on the arm cuz i was getting pains from my shoulder and forearm, the strings didn't provide feel and they were really hard to play with although i found it quite durable but decided i had to sacrifice some durability for playability
i would also recommend a hybrid of babolat pro hurricane and babolat excel premium

Stan
02-03-2006, 05:02 AM
My friend strings his with Laserfibre Laser Supreme and swears by it.

vinnier6
02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
my guess is that this frame is going to be too stiff to use a poly and not have some arm problems...

tennis_nerd22
02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
dude, im almost the same as you, except my ntrp is higher a bit (4) and i have a semi-western fh. i love going to the net and making my oppenent run around the baseline (looking really funny :D ah the joys of tennis...). anyways, im gonna try the dunlop m-fil 500 with hurricane mains and superfine play crosses. im a junior (15 yrs old) so i need a tweener. since your 3.0, you might also want to consider this tweener, unless of course you dont like light rackets, its all personality. just thought id make a suggestion

b-dizzle
02-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I saw your thread on the rackets section. I'm fifteen too. I generally prefer something a little closer to 11 g (like the 300). I'm demoing the 300 and the surge X on wednesday, and then i'll make my decision.

I'm looking for string $15 or under: Ben mentioned Sensation, and I found that the place I'm getting the frame from has a sale on Sensation Duo: a hybrid of Sensation 16 and Enduro Pro 17. How would this be?

tennis_nerd22
02-06-2006, 06:25 PM
dizzle, im getting an m-fil 300, much better on the arm supposedly. and my hybrid is gonna be hurricane 16 mains and luxilon BB alu ace 18 crosses. i know the ace is a poly and 2 poly's arent good, but apparently, from what people said, it plays as soft as a multi. if you want, you can pm me and ill tell you how it goes, never know, it could work for you too :cool: only problem is i wont be getting it for 2 weeks so you'll have to wait a bit. this is just if you want to of course. i dont mind if you do want to or not. gl

vinnier6
02-07-2006, 05:38 AM
dude, im almost the same as you, except my ntrp is higher a bit (4) and i have a semi-western fh. i love going to the net and making my oppenent run around the baseline (looking really funny :D ah the joys of tennis...). anyways, im gonna try the dunlop m-fil 500 with hurricane mains and superfine play crosses. im a junior (15 yrs old) so i need a tweener. since your 3.0, you might also want to consider this tweener, unless of course you dont like light rackets, its all personality. just thought id make a suggestion

dude, if your a 15 yrs old jr playing at a 4.0, you need to get yourself off the tweener and into a heavier stick...then you will start hitting a heavy ball and have some nice touch at the net...not to mention the bombs you will start serving...i would demo something heavier and you will see what i am talking about...if you really like dunlops try the 200

KFwinds
02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
I play the M-Fil 300 with Wilson NXT 17g, strung at 59lbs. Feels very sweet.

b-dizzle
02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
OK, so after some research, Sensation sucks and Reaction or NXT is the way to go, if I want Wilson string. A few other people have also suggested the Lightning XX in the nPro. Now, I'm gonna be playing matches every weekend and practicing during the week too, so I need something pretty durable. Any more suggestions?

buder
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
stiffffff powerfull light frame. I would suggest something soft and somewhat low powered, like an iso speed or head perfect control

tennis_nerd22
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
dude, if your a 15 yrs old jr playing at a 4.0, you need to get yourself off the tweener and into a heavier stick...then you will start hitting a heavy ball and have some nice touch at the net...not to mention the bombs you will start serving...i would demo something heavier and you will see what i am talking about...if you really like dunlops try the 200

well, im getting the m-fil 300, because most people told me the 200 would be too heavy for me, so for now, ill stick to the 300 (if you read my last post, lol ;) )

b-dizzle
02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
First off, tennis_nerd, have you demoed any of these, or are you just going off of what people told you? Cuz lots of people told me to get the LM Radical, but I didn't really like that frame. I suggest finding someplace, online or brick&mortar, and trying them out if you havn't. There's a kid at my club who's about a 4.0 or 4.5 who plays with the 200 and seems to do fine with it.
Anyway, this is a strings and stringing thread and I shouldn't really be talking about this here. I'll go post in your thread on the racket section now, nerd. Here's mine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83930&page=2)

Back on topic, everyone is telling me to get a nice soft string. Can someone give me a specific suggestion, preferably fairly durable and under $15?

tennis_nerd22
02-07-2006, 03:45 PM
well in terms of strings, apparently the luxilon BB Ace is a soft string, kind of like a multi (even though its polyester), but i havent tried it, im ordering it though (for the m-fil 300). Also, im taking a risk with the rackets, if you read my thread and stuff, cuz there arent any good tennis stores near where i live. the one im getting it from is an hour and a half away, so if anything, i can always return it. im hoping it will be good though :D

b-dizzle
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
OK, the mFil 300 is out of the picture, and my here are my final string/racket choices:

nPro 98 strung with Lightning XX 16G at 55 lbs
or
nPro Surge X strung with Reaction 16G at 58 lbs

Sound good? I will decide between the two after I demo the two frames together one last time.
Thanks again for all your help.

b-dizzle
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm goin with the Surge X. Might possibly have to use Sensation instead of Reaction, depending on what my local store has. I havn't bought it and ordered the string yet, so if you have any more suggestions, this would be the time. Thanks everyone for your help.

Midlife crisis
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
There's also going to be an nPro Open that's coming out in less than a month. I've been testing this racquet for the past week and it's a nice hit, if you're thinking of staying with a racquet of around 11 ounces. I prefer it over a Bab Pure Drive Team, which I'm also testing at this time and is the same weight.

The nPro Open is a 16X19 pattern, so it's a slightly more open pattern than the Wilson racquet that was referenced earlier.

b-dizzle
02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I looked into the Open. Unfortunately my tennis season starts before it comes out and I'm gonna need a racket and time to get used to it before it's slated to be released (and my source said the nBlade was supposed to be out 8 days ago, so I don't know how accurate they are). I'm not too heart broken though, cuz I don't really like the Open PJ that much (well, I don't like the surge PJ that much, either, but I'm getting used to it :) ) and the Surge X is 16x19 too, isn't it? Anyway if the Open is much better maybe I'll pick one up for cheap at the end of it's lifespan.