PDA

View Full Version : stringing loose 40-50 lbs to get more feel?

pham4313
02-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi guys,
I have been wondering if you string loose on your racket, do you get more feel as dwell time is a tad longer? I know you ll get more power for sure vs. crisp response and control from high tension stringing. But i have been playing at 52-54 lbs range and it feels just right. My current rackets are ncode 90 and nsixone 95. i know as you go low in tension, your angle or drop volleys could suffer. Let me know you guys experience. thanks:)

bridge
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Your post raises some questions, pham. If your current set-up feels just right, why change? It's hard for us to predict how things will work with you and your setup. Heck, you didn't even say what strings you use and in which racket. Are you "just curious" or ready to invest in a change; fruitful experimenting requires tools; do you have a stringer? I use low tensions with lots of spin, control, no string movement, and long string life. I got there by experimenting with my stringer; and no one on this board could have helped me get there. Hope this helps your thinking.

dancraig
02-03-2006, 12:01 AM
I have a stringing customer who has me string his ncode at 35 pounds. He says this is why he has never had any arm problems.

chess9
02-03-2006, 12:50 AM
This is definitely a personal preference issue. I tried the lower tension with some gut strings, but I felt the ball was all over the court. Small changes in ball angle caused by the softer string pocketing the ball translates into substantial changes in accuracy, IMHO. Most players would probably be better off with lower tensions to avoid the overuse injuries so characteristic of tennis. I don't have elbow problems, and have tried the lower tension as I said, so I'm sticking with my higher tension range (depending on string choice). I like being able to stick the ball where I point the stick (or close).

A great book on these issues is Brody's "Tennis Science For Tennis Players".

-Robert
________
Toyota ad engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_AD_engine)

Pomeranian
02-03-2006, 05:42 AM
I've tried a very low tension before, it actually felt really good but I wasn't too happy with the results of my shots. :(

darkblue
02-03-2006, 05:50 AM
i think it depends...

in your case (nCode Tour 90), 50lbs is probably not "loose"... racquets over 100sq in. or/and wider racquests @ 50 and below are likely to be uncontrollable...(but what do i know? there were some posts here saying that some pros do play @ 40-50 on 95-100 sq inch racquets)

i string my nCode Tour90 around the 50 range, and the angles don't suffer at all... spin allows for sharp angles off the strokes. angles volleys work ok for me - i don't often come to a situation where i need to volley from one net post to another though... for regular stabs/drop volleys, i feel that this setup is ok

Kevo
02-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a theory about this. It may be utter bunk, but in my experience it seems correct. My theory is that the best dwell time is achieved by a string with mid to high tension that is more dynamically elastic. The goal is to achieve a good level of pocketing of the ball in the strings, but no so much that the ball doesn't deform. So, too loose and you get very little ball deformation, too tight and very little string deformation.

The strings that I have used that gave the best feel for the ball (meaning that you could sense exactly where on the strings the ball had impacted, and could feel it leave the string bed as well) were:
Natural Gut strung tightly. Higher than 60lbs.
Babolat Powergy strung at 60lbs.
Ashaway Dynamite strung at 62lbs.

All of these stung lower don't have the same feel for me. Too much power and not enough dwell. Strung higher they might be too stiff. But the common element is that these strings all have a higher dynamic elasticity than standard nylon strings. There are probably many others that would work well also given the right string tension, but it will almost certainly vary to some degree depending on the player and fame.

DXS
02-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I string my PD+'s very light. Many of you know that this stick is an elbow eater, but with the light tension, it's still very soft and not uncontrolable.

I think lower tension really lend themselves to volleys. I have a much better feel at the net.

CheapStrings
02-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,
I have been wondering if you string loose on your racket, do you get more feel as dwell time is a tad longer? I know you ll get more power for sure vs. crisp response and control from high tension stringing. But i have been playing at 52-54 lbs range and it feels just right. My current rackets are ncode 90 and nsixone 95. i know as you go low in tension, your angle or drop volleys could suffer. Let me know you guys experience. thanks:)
Pham,
The impact on your game may not be immediately apparent. I use poly strings and dropped my tension from 62 to 50 lbs. due to a minor case of tennis elbow. I liked the feel and my elbow pain disappeared after several weeks.

However, now after a number of months I believe my groundstrokes have suffered (volleys are OK). I'm not swinging as hard therefore I have less topspin. Also I'm not making some shots as consistently (less control), e.g. angles and down the line.

Of course it may be that my game has gone downhill. Anyway, the next time I restring I'm going to raise the tensions again to see if I can get my old baseline game back without the TE.