PDA

View Full Version : I demoed the ROK, Tour 95 and the Volkl 10 V-engine today...

edge
02-28-2004, 07:48 PM
I normally play with the Zone 7.1 I played an hour today with the three racquets hitting groundies, volleys and serves. The Tour 95 was my least favorite. It is stiffer than my Zone 7.1 and has less feel and touch. It is also less stable on off center hits. The ROK is a control racquet. It is marginally less powered than the Tour 95 but is much more stable and solid. I liked the Volkl 10V the best out of the three. It was less stiff than the other two and had the best feel and touch. It felt the most solid all-around and more powerful than the other two. The dwell time seemed the longest on this racquet. This may be the keeper for my 13 year old tournament playing son. I also want to demo the Tour 90 and the Volkl Tour 9V before maling a decision.

cgreenlee88
02-28-2004, 10:28 PM
when i use to demo rackets(for example: A racket, B racket, C racket) id notice one day i'd play good with the A racket, and play terrible with the B racket. The next day i'd play great with the b racket, and bad with the A racket.
Always demo each racket for a minimum of 3 days.....and make sure that u rotate each day on the racket u use first.....(for example: on monday first use racket a, then b, then c......on tuesday use racket b then c then a....and on wednesday use racket c then a then b, etc)
hope this helps.....it's more of a double check i always do when i demo rackets

-chris

edge
02-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Well, I tried them all again today with my son. We both didin't like the Tour 95 again. We both liked the Rok as a control racquet. We both liked the Volkl 10 the best. Now we have to try the Volkl Tour 9 V and maybe the LM Prestige when they come out. Why is it so hard to pick a player's racquet these days? Most of them either too stiff with little control and feel or good feel with no power like the old Pro Staff 6.5.

Michael Musok
03-01-2004, 06:35 AM
edge - If you get to demo the Tour 9 V, please post a comparison between it and the Tour 10 V. Would like to know if the Tour 9 is a little stiffer or a lot stiffer. Thanks

edge
03-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Michael, I got to play with the Tour 9V today. This is a sweet lively racquet. It swings lighter than the 10V and is just a tad stiffer. You can just rip the ball, it has a large comfortable sweet spot. What is surprising is that you do not sacrifice much in control in moving from the 10V to the 9V. The beam is 22mm or a bit on the tweener side but has much more control than any other tweener racquet, using a 18 X 20 string pattern. I would add a bit of lead tape at 3 and 9 to give it a more solid feel at ball strike. The 10 V felt a litte floppier on off center hits.

Michael Musok
03-04-2004, 05:40 AM
edge - It is so hard to get a feel for the Tour 9 V based on feedback, some saying they love it and some don't like it at all. Some saying it's too stiff and some saying it's comfortable. I guess Volkl racquets have always impressed everone differently. Just curious, did you ultimately like the the 10V or the 9V better? It sounded as though you didn't think there was a lot of difference between the two.

edge
03-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Michael, I was expecting the 9V to be more tweener-ish and it wasn't, it was very solid. I did not find it too stiff, in fact, I found the 10V maybe a bit too flexible. They both swing lighter than they weigh. The surprising thing is the amount of control the 9V has. Think of it as a Pure Drive with much more control and feel. You expect control with the 10V. My 13 year son is going with the 9V (from the zone 7.1). We are going to add lead tape at 3 and 9 to give it more heft and a more solid feel. You should demo them both, you won't be dissapointed in either one. BTW, I hit with the NXG MP yesterday and it had a smooth muted feel, very nice.

BreakPoint
03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
edge,
Could you please refresh my memory as to why your son needs to transistion away from the Wilson Zone 7.1? If it's because it's discontinued, wouldn't 8 racquets still last him quite a while? It's just because it seems most new racquets today get discontinued very quickly anyway, so that he may have to go through this whole thing again very soon. For example, the first Volkl Tour 9 was discontinued in less than 2 years (or was it only about a year?). Anyway, it seems he really likes the Zone 7.1 so I was just wondering why switch if he has enough racquets to last him a while? But if he likes the Tour 9V Engine just as much and decides to go with it, best of luck. I'm thinking of demo-ing that racquet myself based on your's and other's recent comments. :)

edge
03-04-2004, 06:40 PM
BPoint, he doesn't need to transition to a new racquet immediately. He has been using the Zone 7.1 for the last 2 years which has been perfect for him as it's a flexible lighter player's racquet. Now he has grown from 4'7" to 5'2' and added 25 lbs in the last 2 years (he's turned 13) and all his strokes are technically sound and grooved. At this juncture he can add more pop to his game and as he generates more power, I want him to add a liitle more control. Also at the turn of the new year, all the racquet mfg's offer their packages to highly ranked juniors for free or at bargain prices so the impetus was now to try all the new interesting racquets coming out. He has 2 older brothers who use the same Zone 7.1 so he actually uses 3 but have 8 available to him. His 17 year old brother likes the Tour 90 but that racquet is too heavy and he is not strong enough to generate enough power with it. If he had not found anything he liked, he would have stayed with the Zone 7.1 However, the Tour 9V adds more pop to his game while maintaing control in a 18 x 20 patttern. Ironically Wilson's new line has nothing like that Zone 7.1. He didn't like the Tour 95 (nor did I).

BreakPoint
03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
edge - I have to be honest and say that I tried the Zone 7.1 for about 5 minutes last year and I disliked it immediately. It was just too light and flexible at the same time which, for me, made it feel like a coat hanger and I could barely get the ball over the net. It was like trying to hit baseballs with a wiffle ball bat. Anyway, I ended up switching to the PS 6.0 95, which I still use and like a lot (except the lack of power sometimes on certain shots). I also demo-ed the Tour 90 last year and found it just a tad too heavy to swing on groundstrokes, loved it for volleys though.

I'm waiting for my demo order for the Tour 95 and Tour 9V Engine from TW. I'm dying to try the Tour 95, but based on your comments perhaps I'm getting my hopes up a bit too high.
:wink:

NoBadMojo
03-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi..I've a V9 for sale that is still perfect if anyone is interested..its a 1/2 but we could locate a pallet for it if someone needs another size. strung at 58 w. bow brand17 mains and og sheep micro18 x's. thanks. Ed

D. Nelson
03-06-2004, 05:27 PM
"Mojo"...send me your email address....

NoBadMojo
03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
D..i would except it says private messaging has been disabled and your email addy doesnt seem to be available to me. i'm not so familiar with this board. i am reticent about posting mine on here because i have be stalked and sent viruses by someone from this board before. if you wish to post your email addy here, i am happy to respond. also, i think there is a prob w. the for sale part of the board or i would just post there. thanks. Ed

D. Nelson
03-08-2004, 01:29 PM
imouch@bellsouth.net

larrhall
03-08-2004, 02:34 PM
It would be interesting to know how many of us have been sent viruses as a result of posting here. I realize it's an impossible thing to know, and that we can all mistake sources of viruses, but it would be interesting.

Also curious to know what legal options exist if, for instance, several people have been 'virused' by the same source and that source can be verified.

NoBadMojo
03-08-2004, 03:22 PM
i dont think there is a way to prove w. 100% certainty if the virus attacker has half a brain. all i know is i was getting hit w. viruses at the same time some creep was following me around the board w. insulting comments. i registered on this board w. a never used email address and that's where the viruses were coming from. i am double reduntantly protected, but it was a nuisance because it was a steady stream of viruses i was being sent. there are some mean spirited people on this board. it's a shame, but i guess this sort of stuff happens on other boards too. Ed

larrhall
03-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I think he has half a brain and probably works in the computer biz; and probably can't be traced except by some hacker like Robert DeNiro's character used in that film set in...Montreal....you know, the film where Bobby breaks into the Customs Authority House and grabs this Russian sword or something.

I think it's just best that the non-half-brained assh*le knows he's under suspicion.

larrhall
03-08-2004, 04:10 PM
the Montreal/Canada reference being non-accidental, meant to add.

Loud
03-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I only use one particular addy for TW and lately I've been getting hit with quite a few emails with attachments that appear to be viruses. I just delete them all as they come.

@wright
03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
I've been getting those e-mails too, a steady stream lately...Ed, it's a shame that someone would even do that to you, it's not like you get on here and argue with people or act offensive in any way...Oh well, I guess you have to chalk it up to the nutcases out there!

NoBadMojo
03-08-2004, 09:02 PM
yea..its pretty pathetic @wright. i try and be a gentleman and think i know tennis pretty well after all these years of being involved at a bunch of different levels, but i gotta tell you that the energy of this board is draining at times. not many give you props about anything around here, and lots of people feel the need to be heard and think they have infinite wisdom...it's bad mojo. like not bragging i had the pleasure of playing ball w. carlos goffi last week who was a long time coach for both of the macs. it wasnt a clinic or anything..it was just the two of us playing ball because we both love to play ball. he was using pmacs frame and i hit w. it. he was a great guy and shared so many great tennis stories and we even hoisted a few later that evening and he gave me a copy of his book. he also played wimbledon one year. anyway, i thought it was worthwhile to post and nobody but shaolin/michael had anything to say about it. not that my experience was so important, but i thought it was a pretty special experience for those having an appreciation of tennis. it;s a tough crowd around here and i really dont feel so much like being a part of it. it just isnt so important....like anything, most of the people are nice, a few seem special, but there are always a certain few that will try and suck the good juju right out of you..when that happens i just go away..it just aint worth it. ed

larrhall
03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
I enjoy your stories, Ed. Great stuff, and your passion for the game comes through. I have had a few hitting partners in the past where it worked like that, at least for a while. One of us would get injured or burned out, but there are always those around who love the game. Anyway, all of your posts are helpful and informative. I used to believe that there was some reason to read carefully and so on. Now I'll just look for names and subjects, and then get out.

Since I once took a four-day clinic in Florida, I can picture the old teaching pros out there, sunburned and enjoying just hitting while that sun just blazes away. Good stories...

NoBadMojo
03-09-2004, 07:12 AM
thanks larrhall..best to you..ed

larrhall
03-09-2004, 07:25 AM
You too. P.S. P-Mac, as a player, was always someone I watched and rooted for. Always played smart and determined tennis.