PDA

View Full Version : Federer confirms Davis Cup withdrawal

8PAQ
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060203:MTFH56 725_2006-02-03_16-02-35_B740994:1

Also, he will not play Rotterdam on Feb 20. Very smart move. This is what other players should do instead of complaining about long season.

Moose Malloy
02-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Very disappointing that he's not interested in representing his country. Especially since the Swiss have another top 50 player, so its not all up to Fed.
I thought Davis Cup was supposed to be a big deal in Europe. Guess Americans aren't the only players apathetic towards it. Just read that Spain is fielding the B team for their first round tie.

urban
02-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes, Moose, i thought the same. I don't fully understand Federer's DC ambitions. Why he has played the tie in Britain? Now with Wawrinka as second player, the Swiss would have a good chance to advance. But obviously the money at Dubai is more attractive.

Moose Malloy
02-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes, it's a shame. davis cup seemed very important to him a few years ago. I thought he would make a strong attempt to get the cup, since it's one of the few trophies he doesn't have. Wonder what the Swiss press think of this.

Missing it in order to play Dubai is lame.

Marius_Hancu
02-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Fed would've taken part had Hew been in, I'm sure.
Let the other Swiss to grow up.

tennisjunkiela
02-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Very disappointing that he's not interested in representing his country. Especially since the Swiss have another top 50 player, so its not all up to Fed.
I thought Davis Cup was supposed to be a big deal in Europe. Guess Americans aren't the only players apathetic towards it. Just read that Spain is fielding the B team for their first round tie.

I don't think Federer is "not interested in representing his country". i just think that his priorities have shifted for this year, now that he's won australian open.

with the way he is playing, he has a historic chance to complete the grand slam this year so, it sounds like to me that he's trying to pace himself for the year. he's a very smart man and sounds like he doing the right thing. we all know that the hardest GS to win for him to win will be the french open. if he can accomplish that, watch out!

Moose Malloy
02-03-2006, 11:30 AM
He didn't win the Australian Open last year & still skipped the 1st Round. Yet he played Dubai the following week. He's playing not just for history, but for big cash guarantees as well it seems.

The French Open is in May. Davis Cup 1st Round is one weekend in February(on clay) Not sure how playing Davis Cup will hurt his chances at the French.

vllockhart
02-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe he needs/wants an extra week off having come off an emotional time in Australia. Maybe the guy just doesn't want to play Davis Cup. Is it a crime? Do his motives have to agree with what we armchair critics think they should be? I think not.

AAAA
02-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Roger is doing the right thing by looking after his own health. He didn't even look totally match fit at the Aus Open, he needs a rest and should do everything required to maximise his chances at the FO. I have no doubt this year's FO will generate enormous interest amongst tennis fans especially if Federer is playing great tennis in the warm-up events.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Just heard McEnroe said that Federer should be “raked over the coals” for not playing the Australia tie.

Grimjack
02-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Just heard McEnroe said that Federer should be “raked over the coals” for not playing the Australia tie.

Looking at the history of the game, I feel far more cheated as a fan because Mac opted out of the Aussie Open so many times than I do because Fed is skipping the DC. The results of the DC are relevant to a couple fanatics for a couple weeks, and Fed's place (or lack thereof) in its history is meaningless. The results are swept into the dustbin of history within months. If Mac had hoisted a handful of AO trophies, he might be on the GOAT shortlist.

This idea of nationalism being a meaningful thing disgusts me. That your mom squirted you out in one place instead of another is no reason to go about waving a flag all your life. God bless the EU for slowly eradicating this archaic notion and hopefully bringing mankind into the next century. Nationality is a meaningless attribute, and patriotism is a sad way to take the measure of a man.

Max G.
02-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Also, he will not play Rotterdam on Feb 20. Very smart move. This is what other players should do instead of complaining about long season.

Instead of complaining about the long season, play fewer tournaments?

...Fed is about the only player out there that can do that without having it affect his ranking...

Max G.
02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Looking at the history of the game, I feel far more cheated as a fan because Mac opted out of the Aussie Open so many times than I do because Fed is skipping the DC. The results of the DC are relevant to a couple fanatics for a couple weeks, and Fed's place (or lack thereof) in its history is meaningless. The results are swept into the dustbin of history within months. If Mac had hoisted a handful of AO trophies, he might be on the GOAT shortlist.

Which just show how priorities change - in the 80s, Grand Slam count was just one of many things that determined your "greatness", and it seemed perfectly legitimate at the time to skip the Australian Open, just as it was perfectly legitimate to skip plenty of other tournaments. Whereas Davis Cup was important for him.

This idea of nationalism being a meaningful thing disgusts me.

Well then, that's your problem... if Davis Cup was a competition between some other arbitrary groupings of players, would you like it more?

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 09:51 AM

This idea of nationalism being a meaningful thing disgusts me. That your mom squirted you out in one place instead of another is no reason to go about waving a flag all your life. God bless the EU for slowly eradicating this archaic notion and hopefully bringing mankind into the next century. Nationality is a meaningless attribute, and patriotism is a sad way to take the measure of a man.

Yeah Laver, Budge, Rosewall,Gonzalez etc were just a bunch of nationalistic fools for holding Davis Cup in such high regard. The Australian Open was a joke for many years. While Davis Cup has always been very relevant in tennis history.
Watching McEnroe beat Wilander in a 6 hour DC match, then break down in tears(the only time I ever saw him cry on court) is much more impressive to me than see Fed win some random masters series event or Dubai.

opiate
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't think a withdrawal from DC means that Fed has failed to represent his country.

He is actually already representing his country by being the number one male tennis player on the planet at the moment. Everytime you see:
(1) R. Federer (SUI), that's him, representing his country, not Russia, not Australia.

Granted that it's not the whole altruistic, nationalistic *team* spirit, but in its own convoluted way, have no doubt that he is carrying the Swiss flag. And I'm sure he's every bit proud of it as his countryfellows are.

And I'm trying hard to look at the bright side of things, Fed not playing allows his teammates to play. Wawrinka is coming into his own, and who knows there are some others joining the ranks. To be honest, some big name pullouts really give the perfect chance for those oft-overlooked players (who are as brilliant as their big name friends) to really show the world what they can do.

Fedubai
02-15-2006, 10:47 AM
The guy's played every tie but TWO. That's 14 out of 16.

I think he deserves a little break. If he was opting out of Davis Cup to play in some other tournament, that's one thing. He's not playing for another 12 days.

Switzerland has been a one man team for years, only now are they beginning to make a name for themselves without Federer there to win everything. That's good. If Federer didn't think Switzerland was capable of winning the two ties, he probably wouldn't have pulled out.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Switzerland has been a one man team for years, only now are they beginning to make a name for themselves without Federer there to win everything. That's good. If Federer didn't think Switzerland was capable of winning the two ties, he probably wouldn't have pulled out.

I can (sort of) understand why he didn't play 1st round last year. At that point the Swiss really sucked & Fed had to do everything. Now Wawrinka is a top 50 player, they had homecourt(so no inconvenient travelling for Fed), & were playing a joke of a team in Australia(with 2 singles guys out of the the top 100) Wawrinka did win his 2 singles this time. And the Swiss still lost the tie. Because Fed didn't play.
If Fed committed to the team this year they would have been a threat to win it all(look at what Croatia & Slovakia did last year) And look at the draw, the would have played Belarus next.
If Fed wants to give up playing Davis Cup, fine. But why did he play the relegation match last September? It was like a tease-"I don't want to help you guys win the DC, but I'll make sure you aren't demoted to zonal qualifying."

If Fed led his team to a DC title he would have gone way up on the historic meter in my book. Mac & Becker did this multiple times & I'm still amazed at how much heart & soul they put into it. Heck, even Sampras singehandlely won the final in '95(on clay!)
Mac might have won more majors if not because of the toil of DC. I remember him playing in Argentina on clay one year. He had to play singles & doubles on clay with very heavy ball. I think he lost all 3 points(all in 5 sets) & experienced chronic shoulder problems because of those conditions for a few months. That's how much pride he had in representing the US, he put his career at risk for DC.
I was rooting for Fed to win the French, but I have lost a bit of respect for him. Even he equals Laver's slam, he's not in Laver's league IMO.

Fedubai
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
That's just the point: Australia was a joke of a team on paper. If Hewitt had played, I bet Federer would have played, because then Switzerland wouldn't have much chance without him.

Switzerland could have won that tie. If Federer thought they had no chance, he probably would have played.

It's cool to say that Mac risked his career to play DC, but shoulder problems for a few months is different than an ankle injury which seems to have not fully healed and could be reinjured if he plays too much. If he reinjured that ankle, who knows what's next. He can't just throw everything to the wind. No one would be calling Federer heroic if that happened. He deserves a break.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 03:19 PM
That's just the point: Australia was a joke of a team on paper. If Hewitt had played, I bet Federer would have played, because then Switzerland wouldn't have much chance without him.

Switzerland could have won that tie. If Federer thought they had no chance, he probably would have played.

It's cool to say that Mac risked his career to play DC, but shoulder problems for a few months is different than an ankle injury which seems to have not fully healed and could be reinjured if he plays too much. If he reinjured that ankle, who knows what's next. He can't just throw everything to the wind. No one would be calling Federer heroic if that happened. He deserves a break.

That's a very strange rationization. After Wawrinka, the Swiss team is a joke. To expect Wawrinka to win both singles & a doubles is a but unfair. Switzerland were not some heavy favorite to beat Australia without Federer. He left them out to dry(& will probably throw them a bone in September in for the relegation match. I think they should tell him to **** off, you are either with the team or not)

Re Mac: I know you've only been following the game for a few years, but for a S&V player to have shoulder problems, it's a very serious injury. They have no chance to win without their serve, it sets everything else up.

I can't believe you think Federer's ankle hasn't fully healed. He just won the Australian Open(and did so primarily from the baseline)
I guess Fed can never do wrong in your book. Even when he plays Dubai for six figure guarantees while turning down the chance to play for his country(no money in it, though) the 2nd year in a row.

Fedubai
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't recall saying Switzerland was a heavy favorite. But they had a good chance, I think.

Even when he plays Dubai for six figure guarantees while turning down the chance to play for his country(no money in it, though) the 2nd year in a row.

He's not playing anything. He isn't turning down a chance to play for Switzerland to play in Dubai for a few hundred k. Dubai isn't for another 12 days.

I don't see the point in criticising Federer for the sake of criticising.

jings
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
If you want a balanced view on Davis Cup don't ask Mac. He's almost psychotic when it comes to this one. He was forever beating up Sampras for not playing enough. I'll take my cue from the Swiss team on this one. I think it was Wawrinka that said something along the lines of you can't blame the loss on federer not being here and it's pretty small minded to complain about him not playing given how much he's done for Switzerland already ... or words to that effect. He cares about Davis Cup, even to the point of getting Rosset moved on as coach because he thought he wasn't doing a good enough job. No question Fed has different priorities this year after AO, and we have no idea how fit he really is - he looked a half yard off his normal pace in Melbourne imo. If a strong argument for playing Davis Cup is the history of the event then what's wrong with the history of 4 or maybe 6 slams in a row if he can pull that off this year. Together with Hingis Switzerland would then stand higher than most in the pantheon of the sport.

tangerine
02-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Disappointing. Roger doesn't seem to be very patriotic.

I'm glad our American boys love Davis Cup and compete with each other to get on the team. :D

http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com/