PDA

View Full Version : gut hybrid or babolat x-cell?

Matt H.
06-10-2004, 10:48 AM
if you were inclined to try one first, which would it be:

gut hybrid consisting of Babolat gut (VS or tonic) in the mains, and either some super fine play or OG micro in the crosses?

or

all Babolat x-cell premium? All string would be 17g.

mileslong
06-10-2004, 01:01 PM
i ahve only played the xcel premium of the two set ups you mentioned. the excel feels awesome at first, very soft and arm friendly but it loses it fast! it just wears out so fast that i cant justify staying with it.

Craig Sheppard
06-10-2004, 06:08 PM
To pick the *best* combo, go with the gut hybrid. Doesn't matter how good all Xcel feels, you'll notice the how much better the gut is right away. I've tried both, hands down no contest.

BUT--to answer your question, I'd probably hit w/ all-Xcel first to see how that feels, and then move onto the gut hybrid to feel just how much better that is. Xcel will feel nice depending on what you play now, but the gut is further ahead.

The best feature of gut is how well it keeps its feel. Xcel's feel will change after a couple of sets, but gut just keeps on being gut almost until you break it. Great stuff.

Craig

Matt H.
06-10-2004, 07:46 PM
well, i've played with gut (babolt vs 17)1 time.....using a wilson hps 5.0. You wanna talk about power? :lol:

Now i'm using a Dunlop MW 200g. I have my own stringing machine, so the durability isn't *as* much of an importance....but with lack of durability comes price, obviously.

jings
06-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Played excel for a long time, now with gut / lux hybrid. No comparison, hybrid wins hands down.

TwistServe
06-11-2004, 03:04 PM
I used XCell once. It felt good for the first few days. After that, it suxed. I wouldnt use it again.