PDA

View Full Version : will Hewitt ever win another slam

TheNatural
02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I just came across this interesting article about Hewitt. I predict he'll win at least another slam. What do you think.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18031221%255E2722,00.html

Jack Romeo
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
maybe if federer gets injured or something...

DaveGrable
02-03-2006, 09:27 PM
No, he's lost it. The only thing he had going for him was youth. Now he's old and slow. Bye bye Leyton... welcome to the obscure world of the Quarterfinalist.

AJK1
02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
No, he's got better things on his mind like raising children.

RiosTheGenius
02-03-2006, 09:53 PM
of course australian press predicts that....... just like argentinian press says Nalby will win a slam, like Thai press says P-Dorn will win one, chilean press says Gonzo will, american press says Blake's got a shot, ... even freaking armenian press on about Sargis winning one...... c'mon now.

but aside joking, yes... Hewitt will win at least one more US Open as long as he doesn't have to face Federer at some point.... wait, that's not quite possible for the next 5 yrs is it.

wildbill88AA
02-03-2006, 09:59 PM
doubt it. money, success has spoiled him. he's content.

VictorS.
02-03-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't think Hewitt is old. It's just that he's probably a bit fatigued mentally. Let's not forget how good this guy was playing last yr right around this time. Hewitt is a fighter at heart....I wouldn't doubt him.

vllockhart
02-04-2006, 05:48 AM
The ugly, nasty little troll called Hewitt is too good to right off. He'll click at one of the majors again. He's got it in him.

Grimjack
02-04-2006, 07:20 AM
He had the misfortune of coming into his athletic prime at the same time as the best tennis player in history.

If Lleyton had been born ten years sooner, Federer would be chasing his records, and Sampras would be an afterthought.

As it happens, he wasn't born then. So no more slams for him.

BabolatFan
02-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Seems as though he's been distracted by other stuff like family life. I doubt he will win a slam this year. He will eventually fall out of top 20 by year end.

Kobble
02-04-2006, 09:03 AM
With Federer around the only person guaranteed another or a first slam is Nadal.

Would rank them as follows:

1. Nadal
2. Safin
3. Nalbandian
4. Agassi
5. Hewitt

If you can't beat Federer, you don't get a major.

Rickson
02-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I just came across this interesting article about Hewitt. I predict he'll win at least another slam. What do you think.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18031221%255E2722,00.html
Not until Federer retires.

Matthew
02-04-2006, 09:17 AM
He has lost to the eventual champion in what like, the last 7 of 8 majors? That guy is usually Federer, so yeah...

I think that Hewitt is too consistent for him not to win another major.

Surecatch
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
yea, he'll win again. He's just got his head up his butt right now because he's immersed in babydom. It happens and is understandable. Fed's gonna have to fall off a bit too probably.

Count Grishnackh
02-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I dunno, it seems as if losing to Fed the last 9 times or something has taken the air out of his sails. He's got a kid now as well and everyone hates his guts. Plus many others can outplay him if he's not at his highest level physically and mentally, just ask Chela. Really I see a repeat of 2003 this year with Hewitt. I think his best chances to win that 3rd slam was when he lost to Fed at the USO final in 2004 and Safin at Aussie in 2005. Those chances come and go, very hard for someone with his style to get more oppotunities. He doesn't have any weapons to get out of that grinding style.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 05:44 PM
No, he's got better things on his mind like raising children.

You are an unpatriotic Aussie! :p

legolas
02-04-2006, 06:34 PM
i dunno, i think he can, but hes gotten soft lately

ssuHeartsRivald
02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Hopeless, if he still plays like the way he plays nowadays.
Maybe his focus and concentration is parted to tennis and his daughter, maybe better he is waiting until 30 to have a son/daughter.

kabob
02-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Did you guys see how frickin' skinny he was going into this year's Aussie Open? What a step backwards! He needs to maintain that bulk to keep that wonderful stamina of his going for the long haul. You could definitely see softness in his shots, as well, when he played and lost to Chela in the 3rd round.

VolklVenom
02-05-2006, 01:55 AM
No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

equinox
02-05-2006, 03:22 AM
hewys finished.

VolklVenom
02-05-2006, 11:39 AM
time for the fat lady to sing on this sad chapter.

alienhamster
02-05-2006, 12:47 PM
With Federer around the only person guaranteed another or a first slam is Nadal.

Would rank them as follows:

1. Nadal
2. Safin
3. Nalbandian
4. Agassi
5. Hewitt

If you can't beat Federer, you don't get a major. Umm, how 'bout Roddick, especially since grass is still a slam surface (last I checked)?

I really can't tell with Hewitt, honestly. I always thought he and Roddick were due for one or two more slams each. Federer's run at the Aussie was impressive this year, but he did look vulnerable for the first time in a *long* time. There's always a chance for a rock-paper-scissors effect: Haas takes out Federer in a semis, Roddick takes out Haas in a final, etc.

But Hewitt may in fact be slowing down a step. He didn't play enough for me to get a good look, but it's bound to happen at some point. If his speed goes, he will become like Chang.

counterpunch
02-05-2006, 01:47 PM
people forget things all too easily. everyone just looks at his last GS and that is all. As was mentioned, hes lost to the eventual champion 7 out of 8, everyone has an off tournament. You certainly cant write him off cuz of this one poor performance. Yes he dropped out of the top ten, but you should also remember that he has little to defend before wimbledon as he missed the FO and the clay events. He will return to the top 5 by years end IMO. Then its only a matter of time before he gets a good draw and wins one.

Andy Hewitt
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I say 1 more, 2 if he plays as long (or longer) than Agassi.

VolklVenom
02-06-2006, 12:26 AM
that's 1 or 2 he has to take away from Federer!

bc-05
02-06-2006, 06:02 AM
hey come on now.. i sure hope he will and if he was playing like last yr.. im pretty sure he will.. well he was this close | | of winning the aussie open last yr.. and he wasn't even playing federer.. and even if he does play federer.. remember the davis cup match in 2004?? federer just won his master series in houston and he was in his best form.. leading 2 sets hewitt gotback into the match.. who knows one day he'll be able to pull of the same miracle.. like how nalbandian did at the master final last yr.. and nalby was on the same streak as hewitt i think!

federerhoogenbandfan
02-06-2006, 09:45 AM
hey come on now.. i sure hope he will and if he was playing like last yr.. im pretty sure he will.. well he was this close | | of winning the aussie open last yr.. and he wasn't even playing federer.. and even if he does play federer.. remember the davis cup match in 2004?? federer just won his master series in houston and he was in his best form.. leading 2 sets hewitt gotback into the match.. who knows one day he'll be able to pull of the same miracle.. like how nalbandian did at the master final last yr.. and nalby was on the same streak as hewitt i think!

Actually that match you are referring to, in the Davis Cup semis between Australia and Switzerland, was in 2003, not 2004. Also wasnt it before the Masters Cup that year?

I was surprised how unmotivated he looked in Australia. He looked like he had clouds in his eyes.

VolklVenom
02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
yes the Davis Cup was in 2003.
Leyton has NEVER beaten Federer at a time when Federer was "recognized".

jings
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Very interesting article from Wilander, and echoes much of what I've been thinking about Hewitt's game for a while. It's not that he has lost the ability to go deep in a draw, but it's when he gets deep that he runs into trouble. The quality of ground strokes now means that the top players, or those in form, can hit with pace to extreme corners time and again with good accuracy - thus negating his counter punching style as he is robbed of the necessary time. I honestly believe that the quality of tennis overall has improved a great deal in the last 5 years - a good example is Bagdhatis who clearly has a ground game with pace and accuracy. Ljubicic is another good example ... In a nutshell the problem that Hewitt has now is that his best isn't a match now for a number of other players best. He needs to do something with his game to try and take it up again. The counter punching style is akin to serve and volley a bit I think. Todays top players hit with such spin and power that both styles are in danger of being passed (literally) by.

equinox
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
These days Hewit is spending more of his time IN the courtroom than ON the tennis court!

http://www.smh.com.au.nyud.net:8090/ffximage/2006/02/06/lleyton_wideweb__470x329,0.jpg

Aussie Baseliner
02-07-2006, 01:30 AM
I agree with you equinox I hope Hewitt can regain some focus and determination , I don't think we should write him off just yet. I believe he can become the player of his past with the right attitude again.

go_nadal
02-07-2006, 01:47 AM
I agree with you equinox I hope Hewitt can regain some focus and determination , I don't think we should write him off just yet. I believe he can become the player of his past with the right attitude again.
I disagree to Aussie Baseliner. I think Hewitt is past it, he doesnt have that fire in his eyes any more and is being outclassed by players such as Safin, Nadal and Federer.
He wont win another slam

pero
02-07-2006, 02:52 AM
hewitt might win another slam, but at the moment he isn't in tennis... he has just got a baby, he's injured so the thinh that hapened to him at ao is quite understanding

Turning Pro
02-07-2006, 03:25 AM

Federer was recgonised after he just won his first grand slam is dramatic fashion,Federer was playing great in that match,but the mentality flared.Clowns these days

equinox
02-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Taken from the Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18076756%255E1702,00.html

Hewitt snubs charity event

February 07, 2006

LLEYTON Hewitt has snubbed a fundraiser for intellectually disabled athletes that was organised in his honour.

The tennis champ, who is an ambassador for the Special Olympics, failed to turn up for the charity harbour cruise last Friday, The Daily Telegraph reports.

He was supposed to host the event to raise funds for people with intellectual disabilities to get to the Special Olympics World Games in China next year.

But the athlete pulled out 24 hours before the event citing a sore foot, the paper said.

-----

Maybe hewitt skipped out because he was scared someone would take another ******** photograph of him and attempt to profit from it. Greedy little *******.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-07-2006, 06:15 AM

The problem though is everybody around him is getting significantly better recently. First it was mainly just Roger and Andy upping their games, but now we have all these young upstarts crowding the scene near the top. If Hewitt wants to have any chance to regain his 01-02 success, in fact if he even wants to stay as a perennial top 3-4 player like he was in 04-05 he probably has to become an even "better" player than of his glorious past, not just as good of one.

theace21
02-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Hewitt will stay in the top ten, but his grand slam days are over.

bc-05
02-07-2006, 10:15 AM

yes true that.. but same happened to nalbandian.. he didn't win since the 2003 us open.. thats even b4 hewitt's davis cup win.. well nalby beat feds last yr.. so it may happen to hewitt that he'll pull out a heroic match like in his daviscup match

VolklVenom
02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Leyton Hewitt: Ranking 59 (Jan 2007)

Prediction!!

superman1
02-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Federer would have to be injured and Hewitt would have go back to his best form. And he'd have to be lucky and have a lot of crowd support.

So no, I don't think it'll ever happen.