PDA

View Full Version : Stringing without a "starting pin" (version Klippermate)

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Ok, I got the klipper 2 point. I have a starting pin which I use in conjunction with the directions.

My buddy has a stringer without that pin and without a manual. How do you even start (don't know what to do at all)?

PBODY99
02-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok, I got the klipper 2 point. I have a starting pin which I use in conjunction with the directions.

My buddy has a stringer without that pin and without a manual. How do you even start (don't know what to do at all)?

You have to back up the 1st clamp with the second, pull tension on the unclamped string , clamp with the back up clamp< the one away from the frame> then tension the other side . Continue to work your across the string bed alternating left to right.:cool:

SteveI
02-04-2006, 10:34 AM
You have to back up the 1st clamp with the second, pull tension on the unclamped string , clamp with the back up clamp< the one away from the frame> then tension the other side . Continue to work your across the string bed alternating left to right.:cool:

Hi,

There is a great explanation and pics in the "Stringers Guide" that shows just what PBODY99 is talking about. You will lose some tension of the 1st two mains.. you may need to slightly over tension to compensate for that tension loss.. or use a starting clamp.

Regards,
Steve

Gaines Hillix
02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I believe ATX is referring to the starting procedure on a machine that uses flying clamps. The other two posters seem to be talking about the fixed clamp starting procedure. The Klippermate is the only machine that I know of that uses a starting pin. Take a look at the stringing videos on the Silent Partner website. The e.stringer uses the same procedure as other flying clamp machines. Click on the stringing machine section and then scroll down to the e.stringer article and there's a link to the video there.

dancraig
02-04-2006, 06:47 PM

SteveI
02-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I believe ATX is referring to the starting procedure on a machine that uses flying clamps. The other two posters seem to be talking about the fixed clamp starting procedure. The Klippermate is the only machine that I know of that uses a starting pin. Take a look at the stringing videos on the Silent Partner website. The e.stringer uses the same procedure as other flying clamp machines. Click on the stringing machine section and then scroll down to the e.stringer article and there's a link to the video there.

Hi Gaines,

In the Stringers Guide there is a section in the back that shows (pics) and describes how to start a string job with either flying clamps.. or fixed. I moved from a Klippermate to an Alpha 6-point with flying clamps and was somewhat confused when presented with no starting pin to begin the starting procedure. I referred to my Stringers Guide and there it was, step by step the procedure for each. I did much better with the printed material then the video. In any event, here is a question for you.. if it possible to use a Klippermate Starting Pin on a Non-Klippermate machine with Flying clamps?
I can't see why it would not work.. and would it help remove some of the tension loss on the 1st two mains when using only the flying clamps?

Regards,
Steve

ATXtennisaddict
02-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Gaines,

In the Stringers Guide there is a section in the back that shows (pics) and describes how to start a string job with either flying clamps.. or fixed. I moved from a Klippermate to an Alpha 6-point with flying clamps and was somewhat confused when presented with no starting pin to begin the starting procedure. I referred to my Stringers Guide and there it was, step by step the procedure for each. I did much better with the printed material then the video. In any event, here is a question for you.. if it possible to use a Klippermate Starting Pin on a Non-Klippermate machine with Flying clamps?
I can't see why it would not work.. and would it help remove some of the tension loss on the 1st two mains when using only the flying clamps?

Regards,
Steve

In the section in the back of what manual? The klipper 2point stringer manual? I didn't see it...

Gaines Hillix
02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi Gaines,

Regards,
Steve

Yes and yes. I seem to recall reading about someone who didn't have a starting pin(didn't own a Kilppermate), but made their own because it helped reduce tension loss on the center mains.

ATXtennisaddict
02-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes and yes. I seem to recall reading about someone who didn't have a starting pin(didn't own a Kilppermate), but made their own because it helped reduce tension loss on the center mains.

Gaines, I assume the starting pin can be used with any stringer, not just the klipper right?

Gaines Hillix
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Gaines, I assume the starting pin can be used with any stringer, not just the klipper right?

Right...you don't need it with a machine with fixed clamps, but you can use it with any machine with flying clamps.

ccelis
07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Right...you don't need it with a machine with fixed clamps, but you can use it with any machine with flying clamps.

Are these starting pins safe to use, or is there any chance it would damage aracquet?

Thanks

CheapStrings
07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Are these starting pins safe to use, or is there any chance it would damage aracquet?

Thanks
There is no way the use of a starting pin would damage a racquet. It just allows you to individually tension the first 2 mains which is what is done on all fixed clamp machines.