PDA

View Full Version : Hingis/Dementieva Final

superman1
02-04-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm thinking Hingis is getting her first singles title of the year, but I have doubts. Ordinarily I'd be completely confident about this match because Hingis will probably break Dementieva's serve 15 times, but they have a 2-2 record and Dementieva won the last 2. How is that?

vllockhart
02-04-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm thinking Hingis is getting her first singles title of the year, but I have doubts. Ordinarily I'd be completely confident about this match because Hingis will probably break Dementieva's serve 15 times, but they have a 2-2 record and Dementieva won the last 2. How is that?

Dementiava, like many others probably beat Hingis when her confidence was waning. Venus and Serena were pushing her out of the game. Worse, the younger players were learning the power game too.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty confident that Hingis will beat Dementiava. She'll come up against more resistance than she did from Sharapova, but will prevail with her all-court style.

As much as I can't stand Hingis, I felt bad that she retired at 22. I think the game needs her.

bigserving
02-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Hold on to your hats, there will be some huge serving in the this one. They better give a helmet and faceshiel to the linesman calling center service line.

Rickson
02-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Hold on to your hats, there will be some huge serving in the this one. They better give a helmet and faceshiel to the linesman calling center service line.
Nice joke there. I can serve faster than either player and I'm definitely not joking.

Kaptain Karl
02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
bigserving - Don't worry. Some of us "got it."

- KK

janipyt05
02-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Lets hope dementieva's serve hold up, i have a feeling it wont and martina will take advantage of that sloppy serve. I'm not saying that Elena is easy to beat. Should be ineteresting

SteveI
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice joke there. I can serve faster than either player and I'm definitely not joking.

Hi,

I know I can.. I have seen both serve in person.. and was sitting court side.. and thinking.. man I could get that serve back with little problem. Of course the next ground stroke would kick my assssssssssssss. :-)

Regards,
Steve

samster
02-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Is this going to be on TV? What channel and what time, please?

Michael Haller
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Is this going to be on TV? What channel and what time, please?

Eurosport 8.30 a.m.

chess9
02-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Dementieva will be toast unless she shows up with a serve. I didn't see her match yesterday but the last one I saw she was throwing the ball up to her belly button, bending down low and hitting a Western forehand. Er, well, AlMOST. :) When her serve is bad, it is really really horrid. Too bad because she has a very nice game.

I'm guessing 6-4, 6-3.

-Robert
________
FAT GIRL LIVE (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/bbw/)

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Dementieva beat Hingis twice in 2001 and 2002 when Hingis just came back from ankle surgeries. Dementieva is tough off ground. If her serve holds up, she has a good chance against anyone on tour.

Shabazza
02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
If Hingis plays like she did against Sharapova - I don't see Dementieva winning this one!

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
If Hingis plays like she did against Sharapova - I don't see Dementieva winning this one!

That argument doesn't fly, if she plays as well as she did against Sharapova. The match up is completely different.

I certainly give Hingis edge against Dementieva because you never know what Dementieva's serve would be. But it won't be easy.

arnz
02-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Is this match available at all in the US?

Shabazza
02-04-2006, 01:00 PM
That argument doesn't fly, if she plays as well as she did against Sharapova. The match up is completely different.

I certainly give Hingis edge against Dementieva because you never know what Dementieva's serve would be. But it won't be easy.
I never said it would be easy.
I know Dementieva is a way better mover than Sharapova, but her ground strokes aren't that different imo and without her first serve Sharapova would have been anihilated. With the way Dementieva serves, she will be constantly under pressure...and I don't see her comming through this. She isn't the thoughest mentally either!

simi
02-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure about Sharapova's state of mind these days, but the following quote tells me that Martina can hang with the today's "hard hitters" and have some success.

- - - - - By JIM ARMSTRONG, AP Sports Writer, February 4, 2006 - - - - -
- - - - - as reported on sports.yahoo.com/ten - - - - -

"She was picking the ball up early," said Sharapova. "She used my pace and the quickness of the court to her advantage and came up with some very good shots."

Andres
02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
"She was picking the ball up early," said Sharapova. "She used my pace and the quickness of the court to her advantage and came up with some very good shots."

That's what tennis is, lady Maria ;)

legolas
02-04-2006, 07:30 PM
i like both, but i like elena better, i think she'll win

tennissavy
02-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I never said it would be easy.
I know Dementieva is a way better mover than Sharapova, but her ground strokes aren't that different imo and without her first serve Sharapova would have been anihilated. With the way Dementieva serves, she will be constantly under pressure...and I don't see her comming through this. She isn't the thoughest mentally either!
Dementieva has beaten so many top players, even when losing a set, so many times. I have never seen anyone shrug off a bad set, like 0-6, to then win like Elena. I think this will be a big test for Martina. BTW, Elena has the variety in her game which Maria is trying to master and her groundstrokes are usually hit with more topspin than Maria so she won't make as many errors. Hingis is really going to have to earn this win. I give the edge to Elena but with the depth of the women's game, it's hard to predict the winner.

Kaptain Karl
02-06-2006, 06:34 AM
... with the depth of the women's game ...Funny. You keep repeating it. Maybe somebody will "buy it."

- KK

Pancho
02-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Dementieva gives all top players a hard time. She mixes her famous slow 60 mph serves and fast 105 mph serves, slive serves out wide to her advantage. Her opponets beat thems to death that they can't return her serves. On top of that Dementieva returns are hard and fast - one the the best in today's women's game. I'm happy for Dementieva for her performance as the media keeps making fun of her horrible serves and I think Dementieva all along has more crediblity.

Applez
02-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Martina put so much importance on the Maria Sharapova match

This match is tough to follow up a day later with the same level of adrenalin and focus