PDA

View Full Version : Will Hingis Win Another Slam or become #1 again?

Pancho
02-04-2006, 05:50 AM
So, now they you all have seen the latest news on Hingis wins. What do you all think? Do you think Hingis win another slam or become #1 again?

vllockhart
02-04-2006, 05:56 AM
So, now they you all have seen the latest news on Hingis wins. What do you all think? Do you think Hingis win another slam or become #1 again?

Let's not get carried away. Happen, ain't gonna.

Michael Haller
02-04-2006, 06:18 AM

Yes, most probably.
There are only 2 players who could prevent that - Henin and Clijsters.
But they are injured very often.
Who else could stop Hingis?

crazylevity
02-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I dare say Hingis is not at her best yet. With a few more tournaments she could improve her match fitness and sharpness. If the draw is favourable and things go her way, I believe it's possible.

laurie
02-04-2006, 06:28 AM
After just watching Hingis dismantle Sharapova, why not?

oscar_2424
02-04-2006, 06:39 AM
anything can happen

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 07:01 AM
I dont think so, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin, Davenport, and the Williams(if they got fitter and dedicated again)can all stop her. Sharapova is a good matchup for Hingis, she is a one-dimensional power player, with very good power but not enough power to overwhelm Hingis and take her out of her game. Clijsters has too much combined power, athleticsm, and consistency on a normal day for Hingis, Henin is a Hingis-like player with much more power and toughness, Mauresmo`s spins and craftiness would outdo Hingis, Davenport and Williams(if fit)would hit her off the court.

BabolatFan
02-04-2006, 08:14 AM

No doubt in my mind that Hingis will be #1 as swiftly as humanly possible. She has a very very good chance of winning a slam this year. I wouldn't be surprised if she won the 2006 wimby. Savvy?

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Mauresmo`s spins and craftiness would outdo Hingis

Hingis had great record against Mauresmo. Spin and change of pace never bothered Hingis. Hingis takes the ball early that doesn't give Mauresmo enough time for her big swing. No one currently on tour can out-manueve Hingis, you have to power through her, and don't let her play her game.

She has a good chance to win slam again, at least at Aussie and French. But being No. 1, no one knows. I tend to agree with one poster that Cljisters and Henin are the biggest obstacles. However, both of them are injured so often lately, and they are lethal injuries as well.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Hingis had great record against Mauresmo. Spin and change of pace never bothered Hingis. Hingis takes the ball early that doesn't give Mauresmo enough time for her big swing. No one currently on tour can out-manueve Hingis, you have to power through her, and don't let her play her game.

She has a good chance to win slam again, at least at Aussie and French. But being No. 1, no one knows. I tend to agree with one poster that Cljisters and Henin are the biggest obstacles. However, both of them are injured so often lately, and they are lethal injuries as well.

I totally disagree. The overall head to head between Hingis and Maursmo is 7-4 Hingis, hardly a blowout to begin with. Secondly Mauresmo won their last two meetings in 2001. Hingis's head to head with alot of players is misleading since players like Henin, Clijsters, and Mauresmo, were developing as players while Hingis was at her peak when they initialy played. Mauresmo was only starting to move into the top 10 by 2001 for example, not a regular in the top ten, or a potential top 5 player, like she was by 2002-2005, and just watching her play compared to then her game has come a long way too, in 2000=before when Hingis had all of her wins she was not even a top 10 player yet. Yet her head to head with those players is brought up as reference that she should do well against them, but it is flawed, since alot of those players were not the same players they have become and Hingis began her prime at a very early age. Since Mauresmo won her last two meetings with Hingis back in 2001, and has come a long way since then I would see nothing in their head to head that is negative towards Mauresmo's chances at all, it may not be foolproof in Mauresmo's favor but it is no way slants things towards Hingis either.

Mauresmo could not outmaneuver Hingis? I think you will be proven wrong when they next play, and she has more power than Hingis as well.

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Mauresmo could not outmaneuver Hingis? I think you will be proven wrong when they next play, and she has more power than Hingis as well.

We'll see. You certainly changed your opinion on Hingis already. You didn't think she had any chance against top 5 before. Now Sharapova is the easiest after Hingis won.

Mauresmo is more than a year older than Hingis. I like Hingis chance agaist Maureso any time and any where except on clay where her spins work.

Mauresmo has marginal more power than Hingis. However, Hingis can offset that by taking the ball early, which is what bothered Sharapova the most. The key is Mauresmo give Hingis time to play her game.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 11:34 AM
We'll see. You certainly changed your opinion on Hingis already. You didn't think she had any chance against top 5 before. Now Sharapova is the easist after Hingis won.

Mauresmo is more than a year older than Hingis. I like Hingis chance agaist Maureso any time and any where except on clay where her spins work.

Well how do you think they would have fared vs each other had they played in Australia? I was impressed with Hingis so soon in her comeback, but I did not get the impression watching both play, and especialy both play the same player(Clijsters)that Hingis would have won, but that is just my opinon.

Your right my rating of Hingis's chances in her comeback has gone up already in a short time. It might continue to do so, but I dont want to get carried away too quickly at the same time.

AngeloDS
02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Will she win another slam? Possibly, if the draw plays into her favor.

Will she become #1 again? Yes, she loves playing tennis and like Nadal I'm pretty sure she's going to be doing tons of tennis tournaments/slams in and out and that will help her rating. Hopefully her body can withstand it.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Now Sharapova is the easist after Hingis won.

Well there is reason to start thinking Sharapova is a notch down from the other top players by now. The only top player she has a good head to head with is Davenport at 3-1(although her one loss was 6-0, 6-0). She lost her last meetings to each Williams, both a slam semi. She is now 1-3 vs Henin-Hardenne, and 0-2 in grand slams. She lost her last two meetings with Clijsters, one of them in a slam semi. She has a losing record with Mauresmo, and lost to her in the year-end Championships semis. In the last 18 months in grand slams, since her Wimbledon title, her biggest wins are Kuznetsova(2005 Australian Open quarters)and Petrova three times(2005 Wimbledon quarters, 2005 U.S Open quarters,
2006 Australian Open quarters). Kuznetsova is a fairly good win, but if beating Petrova is how you are regularly reaching your slam semis than it does not speak much to her ability to beat other top player in slams these days. So yes I do see Sharapova as possably the weakest of the top women right now. She hangs in with most of them in a match, but she is expected to lose to any of them in an important match.

Her power is impressive, and her best asset, but she does not have the same power as Davenport, both Williams(when reasonably prepared and trained), Pierce, and she doesnt have any more power than Henin or Clijsters. She doesnt move as well as any of the other top women except Davenport, who is a lesser mover, and Pierce who is probably similar. Her forehand technique needs some work still, she has no net game, her tactical sense is vague at best, and she still needs some variety and other dimensions to her game when she cant blast somebody away.

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Well how do you think they would have fared vs each other had they played in Australia? I was impressed with Hingis so soon in her comeback, but I did not get the impression watching both play, and especialy both play the same player(Clijsters)that Hingis would have won, but that is just my opinon.

Your right my rating of Hingis's chances in her comeback has gone up already in a short time. It might continue to do so, but I dont want to get carried away too quickly at the same time.

I certainly thought Mauresmo would be the favorite if they had played at Australia this year. It is just too soon for Hingis, and the court is just too slow this year in combination change of tennis ball Wilson much slower than Slazenger. Faster court favor Hingis in her match up against Mauresmo.

I don't get carried away with Hingis' return. I never thought, still don't think she can come back dominating again. However, I always thought she could compete against any of top players if she is heathy enough after watching her during WTT last summer because it seemed to me she got her foot speed back.

People forget Hingis had 3 ankle surgeries in late 2000 to early 2002. She started to lose her footspeed which is one of the biggest reason she couldn't compete against the power hitters. She even started to lose to Seles whom she used to dominate completely before.

Surecatch
02-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I think she'll do both. She won't get to #1 this year but the women's #1 is kind of up in the air and Martina is obviously a major talent that hasn't fallen off much in three years off. Watching her comeback has been a joy.

Michael Haller
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
I totally disagree. The overall head to head between Hingis and Maursmo is 7-4 Hingis, hardly a blowout to begin with. Secondly Mauresmo won their last two meetings in 2001. Hingis's head to head with alot of players is misleading since players like Henin, Clijsters, and Mauresmo, were developing as players while Hingis was at her peak when they initialy played. Mauresmo was only starting to move into the top 10 by 2001 for example, not a regular in the top ten, or a potential top 5 player, like she was by 2002-2005, and just watching her play compared to then her game has come a long way too, in 2000=before when Hingis had all of her wins she was not even a top 10 player yet. Yet her head to head with those players is brought up as reference that she should do well against them, but it is flawed, since alot of those players were not the same players they have become and Hingis began her prime at a very early age. Since Mauresmo won her last two meetings with Hingis back in 2001, and has come a long way since then I would see nothing in their head to head that is negative towards Mauresmo's chances at all, it may not be foolproof in Mauresmo's favor but it is no way slants things towards Hingis either.

Mauresmo never was and never will be in the same league as Hingis.

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Well there is reason to start thinking Sharapova is a notch down from the other top players by now.

However, she is the most consistent performer in the last year and half in slams, 4 semi and 1 quarter. It took champion to beat her.

The way she was playing against JHH at Australia this year, I certainly didn't think Hingis would be able to beat her this early in her comeback.

Surecatch
02-04-2006, 11:59 AM
However, she is the most consistent performer in the last year and half in slams, 4 semi and 1 quarter.

The way she was playing against JHH at Australia this year, I certainly didn't think Hingis would be able to beat her this early in her comeback.

Ditto. I really wouldn't have thought much less of Matina's success if she'd lost to Sharapova. Being that she wiped the court up with her though is all the more stunning.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I certainly thought Mauresmo would be the favorite if they had played at Australia this year. It is just too soon for Hingis, and the court is just too slow this year in combination change of tennis ball Wilson much slower than Slazenger. Faster court favor Hingis in her match up against Mauresmo.

I don't get carried away with Hingis' return. I never thought, still don't think she can come back dominating again. However, I always thought she could compete against any of top players if she is heathy enough after watching her during WTT last summer because it seemed to me she got her foot speed back.

People forget Hingis had 3 ankle surgeries in late 2000 to early 2002. She started to lose her footspeed which is one of the biggest reason she couldn't compete against the power hitters. She even started to lose to Seles whom she used to dominate completely before.

Yeah the courts and balls were definitely alot slower in Australia this year.
I could not imagine even a slight that chance, that even a slightly sick Henin-Hardenne being outclassed so severely by Mauresmo were that not the case. The courts were perfect for Mauresmo's game and her heavy spins, and Clijsters did well to even take a set off her in the semis. So
Hingis atleast should have a better chance vs Mauresmo in the future than she would have had in Australia this year.

Good point though on Hingis being noticeably less quick her final two years on tour. That is one thing that had faded from my memory a bit, but she wasnt quite as quick covering the court her final two years and she seems to be quicker now, the time off has probably been good for her foot to fully heal and regain some stability again.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 12:34 PM
However, she is the most consistent performer in the last year and half in slams, 4 semi and 1 quarter. It took champion to beat her.

I certainly did not think Hingis would beat Sharapova that easily either, Sharapova did play very well in her loss to Henin in Australia, and pushed Henin more than I thought she would. I still think she might be the easiest of the top players for another top player to beat in a late round of a tournament, and especialy a slam, but you are right she has been one of the most consistent of all the top players in big events nonetheless(along with Davenport maybe).

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 02:01 PM
I certainly did not think Hingis would beat Sharapova that easily either, Sharapova did play very well in her loss to Henin in Australia, and pushed Henin more than I thought she would. I still think she might be the easiest of the top players for another top player to beat in a late round of a tournament, and especialy a slam, but you are right she has been one of the most consistent of all the top players in big events nonetheless(along with Davenport maybe).

See, we agree on a lot of things.

The current top 5 are head and shoulder above the rest consistency wise. Hingis can certainly compete against them. As I said, Hingis plays different style of game, taking the ball very early, changing direction of the ball so well. Now with her fitness and footspeed back, she can defintely compete against them on a consistent basis.

As I said, remember Hingis' decline in 2001-2002 was coinciding with her three ankle surgeries in 2 years. She started to be very defensive in her play. The most encouraging of her comeback so far to me is, as Cljisters and Sharapova said in interviews, she seems to hit the ball harder than they thought she would, and took a lot more chances in matches than they remember, and she still has her trade mark consistency.

As of Sharapova losing big matches in slams, to me she needs to be fitter. She plays a very physical game, it seems she always loses in 3 sets.

wildbill88AA
02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
although ,i admire her game, no, i don't think martina will win another slam, or be #1 again(certainly not yearend), regardless of her performance in japan. i'm still not a believer, since i didn't see the japan tournament. we'll see how good she is when she plays against a complete field, not just a questionable maria. but, you never know, the entire flaky womens field could come up lame.

i would still judge her based on the AO rather than japan.

slice bh compliment
02-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Hingis will be the 2006 Wimbledon champion.

Barring:

injury,
Mauresmo or Henin playing incredible attacking tennis,
either of the Williams girls or Sharapova hitting line after line really hard over and over.

superman1
02-04-2006, 05:53 PM
She definitely can win another Slam. She's got years left in her. I can't wait to see how she does at the French this year.

legolas
02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
well i wish she wins another slam

breakfast_of_champions
02-04-2006, 08:41 PM
maybe elena will give us a clue.

opiate
02-04-2006, 08:46 PM
However, Elena is still suspect re: mentality to face a GS, regardless of her performance at Toray. (See: Match Results forum)

ssuHeartsRivald
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I believe Hingis will get another GS in the future. Man, she gave a player like Sharapova a calamity whereas she is in 'comeback' phase.

Mr Topspin
02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
It's sad for me to admitt but it is entirely possible that Hingis could do both. The current spat of injuries that affects the women's game is the key. The Williams' sisters are frequently injured, so are Henin, Clisters and occasionally Sharapova. That only leaves Mauresmo and there are still question marks about her mentality. Amelie has been in numerous GS when she was the highest seed and has blown it everytime, OZ open 2006 is the exception. The jury is still out untill Amelie wins the match - not by default.

All this means that if Hingis gets to the business end of a GS and Henin, Clisters, Willams' sisters and or Davenport are missing then she has a real chance of winning. Furthermore Hingis always played a lot more tourney's than most girls and i remember was year end no 1 for 2 years even though she had not won a slam in 1998 - 2000.

So watch this space!