PDA

View Full Version : Unique Tourna Poly and Tourna Poly Big Hitter

deacs10s
06-10-2004, 04:44 PM
A reel of the Tourna Poly is $40 while a reel of the Big Hitter is $49.

Has anyone tried these budget friendly polies? Thoughts?

tarheelbornjohn
06-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Are you in Winston Salem? Sorry, but I have not tried these, I do love poly though. Looking forward to hearing from anyone that has tried them.

deacs10s
06-11-2004, 05:50 AM
No, I don't live in Winston-Salem. I went to school and played tennis at Wake years ago, though.

I hope someone chimes in with their experiences with these strings because I'm going through my Luxilon way too quickly.

Jerry Seinfeld
06-11-2004, 06:34 AM
In regard to Unique's Tourna Poly Big Hitter String...

Haven't tried it yet, but the USRSA playtested it and it came out with EXTREMELY HIGH marks. Suprisingly high/positive feedback. You can order it in single packs. I would try a set or two and then if it is as good as the reviews, order the reel. Could be a GREAT low-cost alternative to Lux. I am going to try it out soon. The review is in the May 2004 issue of Racquet Sports Industry magazine...if you can get your hands on that issue.

In the summary section they said "It's not unusual for our playtesters to be divided...especially when rating polys. What is surprising , therefore is not that some playtesters loved Tourna Poly while some hated it, but that those that loved it really loved it. In fact, they rated it No.1 of the 80 some strings we've playtested in resistence to movement, and second overall in durability (First place went to a Kevlar string).

One playtester said "Plays and feels exactly like the Luxilon ALU I use. Identical in every way. Excellent string. Highly recommended." 3.5 male player

Another said "This is a nice poly string. It felt a lot like Luxilon ALU Power, but not quite as stiff. Dropping the tension 5% is key. I liked this string and would recommend it to advanced players looking to switch to poly string." 5.5 Male all-court player

Finally one said "...On court not a bad feeling poly-type string. Above average control and spin capability. Held tension very well and didn't move or appear to notch. Again, one of the better playing poly strings with which I have played." 6.5 Male all-court player.

Get your hands on the magazine to read more.

Hope this helps.

deacs10s
06-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I wasn't able to find the Tourna Poly Big Hitter on sale at on Unique's website. However, I did see this string for sale at tennis-warehouse. Do you know if it's possible to buy this string directly from Unique?

Jerry Seinfeld
06-13-2004, 07:00 AM
Deacs10s-

It is not on their web site, but I am fairly certain if you give them a call you may be able to purchase it from them. (I own a tennis stringing business so it's no problem for me. I don't know if they sell direct to public or not.) I do know in the article that there was a comment at the end of the review stating that Unique was making it available to USRSA members. Three sets @ $5.50 ea. and receive a 4th set free. This was a promotion and does not represent regular pricing, but does indicate to me that they may be willing to sell to USRSA members who may or may not operate a business. The comment suggested calling them toll free, 1-800-554-3707. I'd give them a call, you have nothing to lose.

deacs10s
06-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Jerry Seinfeld-

Thank you very much for the helpful information!

RacquetDoctor
06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
They don't generally sell to the public, but they used to have a $50 min order....not hard to hit buying a reel and a couple of sets...It's been quite a while since I bought from them...they are however just 4 miles from home at Mcfarland rd in Alpharetta, GA!