PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Gaines

Simbah2004
06-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Gaines, I was going to buy the Alpha Revo 4000, but they did not have it in stock.
I ended up calling Tim at Laserfibre regarding the Eco. I've explained my situation (only two different racquets, one string job each two weeks the most) not stringing for others.
Portability is also an issue, since I travel a lot. He gave me a course on fixed x flying clamps, and told me I would have no problems at all with my frames(Pro Staff Zone and Original) and flying clamps.
He said that for such a low volume a machine with good flying clamps will do the job well. He ended up convincing me to go with Laserfibre - I am just deciding if it is worth paying $200 more in my case to get fixed clamps.
Since you are an experienced stringer, what do you think? Thanks.

David Pavlich
06-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Not Gaines, but I'll throw in my 2 dinars.

Knowing the reputation that Laserfibre has, you'll probably do quite well with the flying clamps. Certainly, fixed clamps are quicker and will be more consistent, but if you do your part, your stringbeds will be the same every time you do it.

Flying clamps tend to wear quicker so you have to be aware of that so you don't start having problems with slipping strings after clamping.

The rest is up to you. If you can spare the extra 2 clams, I'd get the fixed clamps. If you decide to sell the machine, the fixed clamps will bring a better price. However, you will do well with the flying clamps, again, if you do your part.

David

Simbah2004
06-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Thanks David, really appreciate it.
For the amount I can spend, I could either go with a Laserfibre with flying clamps or a good dropweight (Alpha or Gamma) with fixed clamps. What would you get?

Gaines Hillix
06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
simbah2004, I agree with what David said. Before you give up on the Revo 4000, try sending an email to mark gonzalez(mark@alphatennis.com) and let him know what you're looking for. Alpha is not known for their drop weights, but I would refer a REVO 4000 crank machine to any of the machines you mentioned, if you can get one.

Simbah2004
06-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Gaines, portability is an issue as well, since I travel a lot. I decided to go with Laserfibre, I am just wondering if paying 599 (plus shipping) for the Eco with fixed clamps instead of 399 (plus shipping) for the Eco with flying clamps is worth the investment.

Gaines Hillix
06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
I certainly prefer fixed clamps to any flying clamps I've used. I hear the Laserfibre flying clamps are the best available. I just think fixed clamps are easier to use and there is less potential for slippage and you don't have to double pull the center mains.

Simbah2004
06-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks Gaines and David. Just came back from the court and guess what? Broke a string again. I'm gonna end up spending more money and getting the Eco with fixed clamps - they have it on stock. I'm tired of having to drive back and forth to my stringer!!!