PDA

View Full Version : Federer a no-name in North America

Free_Martha
02-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Why do you think this is? Is he too bland and boring for Americans to embrace?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/01/29federer.html

quest01
02-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Its because tennis isnt very popular here in the US. Its much more popular in Europe and Asia. They also dont cover enough tennis matches on TV. I have the tennis channel and they dont really cover as much tennis tournaments as i would like.

Shabazza
02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
the same articles every 2 months....:rolleyes:

Fedubai
02-04-2006, 02:12 PM
No, he's just not a superstar. Many people want news....they can no longer connect on a human level with people, like normal folks. They want camera flashes, gossip, controversy, fake personalities. Federer doesn't provide that.

That endears him to some, and frustrates others. Oh well. I'd rather he never become a T.O., somebody who is not capable of what Federer showed last Sunday. Why? he simply isn't genuine enough, doesn't care enough. If that's what the media wants, they shouldn't stop at Federer's door. I believe that much of this 'Federer isn't popular in America is crap'...among the media he is ignored, but normal people I think see it differently.

Virtuous
02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
the same articles every 2 months....:rolleyes:
I know right?:rolleyes: I've become desensitized to the 'Federer isn't popular' articles. At first i only cared because i thought his popularity among common folk would affect coverage of his matches, so far it hasn't, doesn't look like it will and i couldn't care less that joe sixpack wouldn't buy a ford from him.

dennis10is
02-04-2006, 02:36 PM
To be more popular in the US, I will give these free tips.

For greatest effect, Fed should do them in the following order.

1: Go to a ski resort alone, without Mirka and have sex with the maids and snow bunnies. Get caught by the National Enquirer. Ask Kobe for advice.

2: Shave his head, sport a goatee and wear some gold chains. Ask any wrestler for advice.

3: Start spitting at the ball boys and girls. Have a chat with Kiefer in the locker room.

4: Dump Mirka and starts hanging out with the local strippers at every tournament. Ask Safin for advice.

5: Get into a verbal fight with Sampras by saying that Sampras grand slam titles were inflated due to lack of competition but that he will eclipse it soon enough. Call TO.

6: Hang out with the Nascar crowd, eat lots of ribs, drink lots of American beer. Gain some weight, lose a step or two in his movement.

7: Date Gwen Steffani, and break up with her, get her to write songs about you.

8: Next, seduce Angelina Jolie, get her to break up her marriage with Brad, and then of course dump her for Jessica Simpson. Have a sex video with Paris Hilton, make sure she performs better this time around.

9: Start losing some tennis matches, maybe hint at a drinking problem. Fail drug test.

10: Relocate to Texas, declare desire to become an American citizen and support the continuing Iraq War, openly campaign for Jeb for President platform, bring the troops home by 2050. Start having late nite policy discussion with Condi Rice. State desire to play Davis Cup for the US if possible and express desire for US to liberate Switzerland from chocolate terrorism, accuse his own country of creating Weapons of Mass(ive waistline) Destruction.

11: Retire from tennis, marry a Bush girl, get CEO posting Halliburton Swiss Services LLC. Switzlerland has become an economic protectorate of the US. Moves his cows to his Texan ranch.

12: Run for Texas governorship, thank his father-in-law, GW Bush for helping him overcome his drinking problem.

pound cat
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I wonder if Safin were Federer would he be an unknown? He's been voted 1 of People's 50 top people f the year, articles about him in GQ and Esquire, was a hit on Leno . This was after his win over Sampras USO 00. He's the man of a million quotes, is good-looking, and has huge sex appeal, America didn't seem to be bothered at all by the fact he's Russian. Federer just isn't the kind of guy who Americans would take to

Come on Marat, boot Federer off his #1 perch for a while. I want to test my theory.

However if Fed stays at the top, dennis10is your advice to him is excellent.

The tennis guy
02-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Why do you think this is? Is he too bland and boring for Americans to embrace?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/01/29federer.html
He certainly is a name you like to bring up quite often.

pound cat
02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Tennis is too bland and boring for for Americans (& I will include Canadians here) to embrace'

And soccer is a sport though hugely popular world wide, is not of interest to Americans.

Even though Beckwith has a lot of the qualifications outlined for USA success by dennis10is, he is as little known as Federer.

Grimjack
02-04-2006, 03:08 PM
...desire for US to liberate Switzerland from chocolate terrorism...

Racist.

VGP
02-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Given their personalities, if Sampras (an American) can accomplish what he did and not everyone cared much here, why would Federer (a Swiss) have different results?

pound cat
02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Given their personalities, if Sampras (an American) can accomplish what he did and not everyone cared much here, why would Federer (a Swiss) have different results?

Is Andy Roddick known to Americans?

Is Andre Agassi known?

Just wondering...

federerhoogenbandfan
02-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I think it would be help if he was:

1)Perceived as better looking. Of course this is a subjective argument, but I get the impression talking to people that he is not considered a "hot" player by many people in that sense.

2)Be an American of course.

3)Have a real rival which Roddick and Hewitt were perhaps up until Wimbledon 2004, but hasnt been since. People arent sold on Nadal until he does better than 4th round at a slam other than the French, no matter how many Masters events he wins.

4)Be more controversial, or show more of what Americans deem to be "personality" on court.

dennis10is
02-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Racist.

You mean cholatist don't you. Swiss is not a race and neither is chocolate.

I'm not advocating the separation between chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. Let them all mix together in a nice sea shell swirl.

I do think that we should encourage global warming so that it would get so hot in Switzerland that their chocolate would melt without refrigeration, thereby increasing production cost.

And today the cost of sweet, light crude chocate increases to 60 dollars per lbs. US Federal Reserve are caution of possible global slow down.

dennis10is
02-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Tennis is too bland and boring for for Americans (& I will include Canadians here) to embrace'

And soccer is a sport though hugely popular world wide, is not of interest to Americans.

Even though Beckwith has a lot of the qualifications outlined for USA success by dennis10is, he is as little known as Federer.

You mean Beckham. He's hugely popular elsewhere aside from North America (including Canada) and the kids in the US who plays soccer, and their are legions, who knows of him. I can't say the same for tennis. Sadly, American tennis among the youngster are nowhere near the levels of soccer. It doesn't bode well.

pound cat
02-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes, I mean Beckham aka Becks. He's the one married to Posh, isn't he? LOL Even those who don't follow soccer know who he is, & this further supports you list of recommendations.

slice bh compliment
02-04-2006, 04:26 PM

I'm not advocating the separation between chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. Let them all mix together in a nice sea shell swirl.

I do think that we should encourage global warming so that it would get so hot in Switzerland that their chocolate would melt without refrigeration, thereby increasing production cost.

And today the cost of sweet, light crude chocate increases to 60 dollars per lbs. US Federal Reserve are caution of possible global slow down.

Ahhh, the brown stuff wreaking havoc on the major markets.
Brown gold.
Geneva Juice.

And yes, I happen to know that God means for this to be...a chocolate economy.

(that was a Ray Nagin reference, for the readers outside of New Orleans' sphere of influence)

slice bh compliment
02-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, I mean Beckham aka Becks. He's the one married to Posh, isn't he? LOL Even those who don't follow soccer know who he is, & this further supports you list of recommendations.

True. The independent film from the UK that bore his name had something to do with that.

We have reason to belive there is hope for Roger. A Mirkamax spokesperson mentioned the litany of studio executives competing for a script entitled Forehand it like Federer.

Tim Tennis
02-04-2006, 04:35 PM
You can't be serious. Believe it or not Americans love Roger. We love his talent, his charactor, his charm, his intellect, we love everything about him. Sure we would like to see an American number 1 but if we had a choice between having a John Mac type or a Roger type number 1, the majority of American tennis players would chose a Roger every time.

I hate this expression but "This guy is good for tennis."

He is just no fun for the media.

slice bh compliment
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
... Believe it or not Americans love Roger. We love his talent, his charactor, his charm, his intellect, we love everything about him. ....

I hate this expression but "This guy is good for tennis."

I agree. But I think our perspective is that of 'the tennis fan', not the general public.

devila
02-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't give a crap about nationality. I'm not blindly picking out some junior American player to kiss up to. That's the jobs of Davis Cup captains (John Giant A-hole McEnroe and his brother Pat Patriotic Buffoon).

Tim Tennis
02-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree. But I think our perspective is that of 'the tennis fan', not the general public.

I think you are right, but who cares about the general public. They are just interested in that tabloid crap. Why can't they just leave people alone?

Tim Tennis
02-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't give a crap about nationality. I'm not blindly picking out some junior American player to kiss up to. That's the jobs of Davis Cup captains (John Giant A-hole McEnroe and his brother Pat Patriotic Buffoon).

That is too funny. Actually I have a lot of respect for them now, they do know tennis and I even think that Mac may regret now some of his antics on the court in the past. I do get tiried of them wanting everyone to be a serve and volleyer.

legolas
02-04-2006, 07:30 PM
i think most americans are just in denial that he owns andy

Journeyman
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Americans are too busy watching high-school level football to care.

opiate
02-05-2006, 12:37 AM
"The females have rivalries and animosity. The men have Rafael Nadal. He sounds more like a hair-care product than the world's No. 2-ranked player from Spain."

I love that line.

hyperwarrior
02-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Federer is ok the way he is. He's already popular around the world...

EliteNinja
02-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Americans are too busy watching high-school level football to care.

American media is very focused on just America and does not expand on world issues. It's just a part of their culture and tradition. Canada gets a lot of it's TV from the US and it is highly visible. Marketing in Canada from US companies is very apparent.

I bet you that if you asked the average American on the street where Iraq was on a globe, they couldn't point it out. 55% of Americans do not know that the Sun is a star.

Also, can you think of any non-Americans who are popular/famous in the States? I can't think of many. I can only think of a lot of Canadian movie actors though...

EliteNinja
02-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Federer isn't American and that's why he isn't popular in the States.

He should leave his hair long, get his ears pierced and wear ripped jeans to play tennis.

pound cat
02-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Also, can you think of any non-Americans who are popular/famous in the States? I can't think of many. I can only think of a lot of Canadian movie actors though...[/QUOTE] Elite ninja

Maria Sharapova!!!!!

And I challenge you to go to Gastown with a map and ask people to point out Iraq. I bet not many could.

(Ask about the sun as well.)

rilokiley
02-05-2006, 06:06 AM
55% of Americans do not know that the Sun is a star.

What do they think it is?

Pen Express
02-05-2006, 06:07 AM
"The Sun"

(10)

pound cat
02-05-2006, 06:48 AM
"The Sun"

(10)

a tabloid? A fast read on the subway? Interesting classifieds?

I bet that's what most Canadians would say.

vllockhart
02-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Roger Federer is certainly not a no-name in North America. What on earth do you base this statement on?

slice bh compliment
02-05-2006, 07:35 AM
a tabloid? A fast read on the subway? Interesting classifieds?

Ouch. Nailed it.

Come on. We learned that in 4th grade. Or was it 5th?
Did the current generation of North Americans not learn that stuff in the first place.....or do obivious people just forget things like that? I forgot calculus, I've even forgotten the quadratic equation and its many applications...but this is different. Pathetic.

Seems like the "average kid" is worse and the "smart kid" is getting better. Educational darwinism or the facts of life?

opiate
02-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Ah, a little something from the AO in Newsday.

Those who stayed up late through the two weeks... here's for you.

"Roger Federer's art. You may know people who sat up in wee Australian Open hours watching this maestro climb to halfway up Mount Sampras. These people do have taste, even if they have no life."

I don't agree that we only stayed up to watch Federer. Really, really, don't.

fantenam08
02-05-2006, 09:19 AM

You have a great sense of humor ;), too bad everyone doesn't get it.

If I weren't a tennis fan, I would probably have no idea who Roger Federer was. Football and basketball are the most popular sports in the states with baseball being a close second, so these sports naturally garner the most attention. Tennis doesn't get a lot of coverage in the states, but trust that it is doing a lot better than soccer. The main reason Americans know David Beckham, is because he is married to Posh Spice. Believe it or not, we do see some non-american athletes and entertainers on tv. As well as politicians such as Tony Blair and Ariel Sharon.

Anyone who has had an elementary school education knows that the sun is a star, but if it isn't significant to them, when you ask, they probably won't remember the answer right off the bet.

Chopin
02-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Anyone who cares about tennis knows who Federer is and practically acknowledges him as becoming the GOAT. The problem is in the popularity of tennis--not Federer. In Europe the girls go crazy for Federer.

RiosTheGenius
02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
"He is too good, too charitable, too respected, too mild-mannered, too well-liked by peers to be embraced by the average American sports fan."

does that mean that to get the attention of americans you have to **** your girlfriend like the Lakers dude, or even kill her like OJ?.. it's really bizarre how heros for those average sports fans in america are usually people who are school drop outs who's biggest goal in life is to be really big and tough. it's ok though, the rest of the world loves Federer and his ways.

alienhamster
02-05-2006, 02:09 PM
To give this thread an awkardly timed politcal action focus:

TELL YOUR FRIENDS WHAT THEY'RE MISSING. If the sports media won't acknowledge Federer's stunning game and achievements, all we can do as fans is use word of mouth to spread an awareness of Federer and his game. Pretty much none of my friends watches tennis regularly, but they're starting to understand who he is a lot more because I keep telling them how freaking amazing he is.

MAKE THEM WATCH HIM PLAY. You can pretty much bet he's gonna do something impressive in every match he plays, so just pick an upcoming one and get your buds to watch it with you. Then you can irritatingly point out all the amazing stuff he is doing.

Shabazza
02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
To give this thread an awkardly timed politcal action focus:

TELL YOUR FRIENDS WHAT THEY'RE MISSING. If the sports media won't acknowledge Federer's stunning game and achievements, all we can do as fans is use word of mouth to spread an awareness of Federer and his game. Pretty much none of my friends watches tennis regularly, but they're starting to understand who he is a lot more because I keep telling them how freaking amazing he is.

MAKE THEM WATCH HIM PLAY. You can pretty much bet he's gonna do something impressive in every match he plays, so just pick an upcoming one and get your buds to watch it with you. Then you can irritatingly point out all the amazing stuff he is doing.
Just do it! ;)

EliteNinja
02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Also, can you think of any non-Americans who are popular/famous in the States? I can't think of many. I can only think of a lot of Canadian movie actors though... Elite ninja

Maria Sharapova!!!!![/QUOTE]

But Federer doesn't have b00bs...

TheNatural
02-08-2006, 02:24 AM
He just needs to say 'dude' at the end of his sentences, then americans will embrace him.

slice bh compliment
02-08-2006, 02:39 AM
He just needs to say 'dude' at the end of his sentences, then americans will embrace him.

Sweet!

Noelle
02-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Jon Wertheim says Federer has arrived in America, with his mention in The Onion. :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_wertheim/02/06/ad-in/index.html

dennis10is
02-08-2006, 11:07 AM
American media is very focused on just America and does not expand on world issues. It's just a part of their culture and tradition. Canada gets a lot of it's TV from the US and it is highly visible. Marketing in Canada from US companies is very apparent.

I bet you that if you asked the average American on the street where Iraq was on a globe, they couldn't point it out. 55% of Americans do not know that the Sun is a star.

Also, can you think of any non-Americans who are popular/famous in the States? I can't think of many. I can only think of a lot of Canadian movie actors though...

hm... I thought the "rest of the world" was one gigantic Hollywood set.

You foreigners in this forum actually live outside of the United States? Not actors, paid by the US government to entertain us? When I visit Europe, I thought that the plane just flies round and round in a big circle and then lands in a gigantic lot located in the middle of the US and operated by Disney Europe.

I'm very confused now, I thought that Federer, Nadal, Baghdatis etc... were just American actors. I've been rooting for real-life foreigners? I hope to won't get arrested for treason.

southpaw
02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Sweet!

Dude! What does mine say?

slice bh compliment
02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!

Galactus
02-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm sure Federer has sleepless nights knowing that the idiot Yanks don't 'recognize' him. :rolleyes:

yo_3133
02-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I know right?:rolleyes: I've become desensitized to the 'Federer isn't popular' articles. At first i only cared because i thought his popularity among common folk would affect coverage of his matches, so far it hasn't, doesn't look like it will and i couldn't care less that joe sixpack wouldn't buy a ford from him.
i agree, as long as he plays at his top level and his matches are on tv, i really dont care

arosen
02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
11: Retire from tennis, marry a Bush girl, get CEO posting Halliburton Swiss Services LLC. Switzlerland has become an economic protectorate of the US. Moves his cows to his Texan ranch.

Dude, this is awesome stuff, the cows, I loved the cows bit.

arosen
02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
T Actually I have a lot of respect for them now, they do know tennis and I even think that Mac may regret now some of his antics on the court in the past. I do get tiried of them wanting everyone to be a serve and volleyer.

Nah, John Mac's only regret is that could probably make more money if he acted a tad nicer.

a guy
02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
The females have rivalries and animosity. The men have Rafael Nadal. He sounds more like a hair-care product than the world's No. 2-ranked player from Spain.

:p