PDA

View Full Version : would this hybrid work?

tennis_nerd22
02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
hey all,
im gonna get a dunlop m-fil 300, with a hybrid of pro hurricane mains and luxillon big banger ace crosses. I play a baseline game and i go to the net when possible. i like making my oppenents run and then closing in for the kill ;) but my question is, since im unexperienced with string tensions, im only 15 yrs old, can anyone recommend what tension i should string with to start? i want to keep both of them the same tension, since ive heard that this works well, tension for the m-fil 300 is 55-65 pounds, and its a 98 sq inch head, so if ive learned anything by reading posts and reviews (im trying to learn, lol), should i get them strung at 61 pounds? i want something that i will be able to control, without sacrificing power, but my hybrid generally adds power and my racket influences more control... so if you put two and two together, would this mean to get around average tension or just a bit higher for a bit more control (just a bit)? and suggestions would be nice. thx

btw, sorry if i got a bit confusing, lol. also, i know that luxillon recommends to string it at 10% less... but im not sure what that would make those numbers, so i need a bit of help/advice.

tennis_nerd22
02-05-2006, 02:19 PM
k, i had a different idea, if i get the mains strung at 60 pounds (extra control) and the crosses strung at 56 pounds. would this work better so i get full spin and control advantage of the BB ace and the power of the hurricane, without losing durability?

!<-_->!
02-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok. Well, my question is, why are you using 2 polys in a hybrid?

Richie Rich
02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
if you want to use a poly try lux alu in the mains at 58 and good syn gut in the crosses at 62. see how it plays. then adjust tension from there or try diff strings. most of the feel of a racquet is going to come from the mains. you may need to do some experimenting until you finally get what you like so iwould keep a log book of strings and tensions you use so you won't forget anything.

tennis_nerd22
02-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Ok. Well, my question is, why are you using 2 polys in a hybrid?

well, the BB ace is called a poly, but most people who used to it said that it feels a lot of softer than a poly, so it would work then.

SteveI
02-05-2006, 04:05 PM
well, the BB ace is called a poly, but most people who used to it said that it feels a lot of softer than a poly, so it would work then.

Hi,

Both are polys and really feel pretty much the same. Not sure what you are going for here..but anything is worth a try...

Steve

tennis_nerd22
02-05-2006, 04:56 PM
oh, ummm i thought that if it (the BB ace) plays like a soft string, which is good for crosses, then wouldnt that make it a good cross? or am i missing something. of course, i may be wrong

smittysan89
02-05-2006, 06:28 PM
oh, ummm i thought that if it (the BB ace) plays like a soft string, which is good for crosses, then wouldnt that make it a good cross? or am i missing something. of course, i may be wrong
Yes you are totally wrong, it plays soft for a 18 gauge poly yes this is true, but nothing compared to syn gut or a multi.

SteveI
02-06-2006, 12:42 AM

Hi,

You would be much better served to use your best pick for a poly (mains) and use a softer syn gut in the crosses to improve the overall feel of the string-bed. Something like Prince Syn Gut or Forten Sweet for the cross strings would be some ideas.. and it would also be a better prince/performace set-up. You might also want to drop the tension on the crosses to open up the sweetspot on the Mil-300. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

bsandy
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi,

You would be much better served to use your best pick for a poly (mains) and use a softer syn gut in the crosses to improve the overall feel of the string-bed. Something like Prince Syn Gut or Forten Sweet for the cross strings would be some ideas.. and it would also be a better prince/performace set-up. You might also want to drop the tension on the crosses to open up the sweetspot on the Mil-300. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

I 2nd this and the last thing he said too ! ! !

There is a neglegible difference in softness between ACE and the 1.25 Polys, unless you're a slice and dice player, and you put them in your mains.