PDA

View Full Version : Bhupathi and Paes

Progressive10s
02-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know why this very talented Indian doubles team broke up? They were very dominant as a duo, and they probably complimented each other well. Why the break up?

sureshs
02-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I know a little. Officially, they will not give a reason. It was speculated by some that there was a clash of egos. Other stories I have heard have to do with Paes misbehaving with someone close to Bhupathi. There is no love lost between them. Last year Paes made derogatory comments after Bhupathi passed him in slam wins.

Max G.
02-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Personal reasons of some sort. They didn't get along, or something.

simi
02-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Even with the personnel clash, I believe that they played doubles in Davis Cup ties last year. We'll find out this week if they will do so again.

Shame they did bust up. They made a great team for awhile. If they stuck together, some day they would be talked about in the same sentence as McEnroe/Fleming, the Woodies, and the Bryan Bros., among other great teams.

superman1
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Great combination of talents. Paes would have won the doubles final against the Bryans if he had Bhupathi as a partner. His partner choked on every single break point.

Infinite42
02-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I believe I read somewhere that Paes was uncomfortable with Bhupathi's new coach, or something to that effect.

Deuce
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Last summer, when Paes' doubles partner Zimonjic came to a court where Bhupathi was hitting, Bhupathi said to Zimonjic "Where's your partner?"
Zimonjic said "He doesn't want to hit today."
Bhupathi replied "Discipline him. You've got to discipline him. I couldn't do it, so I quit."

Of course, it was all said with smiles.

I don't think Bhupathi and Paes hate each other. They're just not as close as they once were. If they were never close, I'm sure that they'd still be a doubles team. But when you're close with someone, and something happens that breaks that bond, it's tough to partner up after that, because the entire dynamic of the relationship has changed.

Rabbit
02-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Doubles at the professional ranks is a partnership more like a job than a marriage. The two didn't and don't have to be friends to play doubles together. There have been many cases, even last year, of doubles teams winning the season ending championship only to split up and form new teams the next year.

Steve Huff
02-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Interesting, I always assumed it was because of the brain tumor one of them had (Bhupathi, I thought)

tennisnj
02-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Paes had a non-malignant brain lesion, due to a parasitic infection.

vkartikv
02-06-2006, 07:51 AM
The real reason is that they were both dating the same bollywood actress and neither wanted to give up. They may not have been dating her at the same time, but there was some overlap. I think they play davis cup together because the whole Indian team depends on them, atleast for doubles..

Rabbit
02-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Then again, Vilas and Clerc played dubs for Argentina and hated each other. They wouldn't even speak to each other on court.

Max G.
02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Doubles at the professional ranks is a partnership more like a job than a marriage. The two didn't and don't have to be friends to play doubles together. There have been many cases, even last year, of doubles teams winning the season ending championship only to split up and form new teams the next year.

However, playing doubles together (ALL SEASON LONG) is as much of a partnership as a job. You travel together, practice together. You have to see this person almost every day for the entire season.

You don't have to be good friends - but you DO have to get along with this person well enough to interact with him daily.

Max G.
02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Then again, Vilas and Clerc played dubs for Argentina and hated each other. They wouldn't even speak to each other on court.

Which is why they played together for select matches, and didn't form a team that would play together all season long.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 10:41 AM

True, Clerc and Vilas won a lot of Davis Cup matches, too. Just not against Mac and Fleming (my favorite team, next to Newk and Roche or Newk and Stolle).

Stich and Boris had a falling out, too. But wasn't that AFTER they won an Olympic gold medal in doubles together?

This thread is interesting. I do not know much about either guy, so, please continue to educate me.

My thoughts:
For whatever reason, it surprises me to hear Paes was dating some actress. I don't know why ... I just assumed he was a mature, happily married man. And if he were single, he strikes me as the cool guy ... the hip, non-jealous type. And my impression of Bhupathi was, (I don't know) a young fratboy / US college player type of kid with a huge serve. Didn't he play at Mississippi State? I'm probably way off, but I would have expected Bhupathi to be the unstable, undisciplined one (nothing against college tennis or fraternities -- I resembled both of those remarks).

Well, Paes is older, did pretty well in singles for a while (especially in DC, the Atlanta Olympics, etc), and has all kinds of cred from his associations with Navratilova. So that's probably why my opinions are tainted.

sureshs
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Paes had a non-malignant brain lesion, due to a parasitic infection.

Martina N helped him a lot in this regard I believe - suggested treatment, etc.

Progressive10s
02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the input. As SupermanI suggested, Martin Damm really let down Paes in that Aussie doubles final. Cliff Drysdale (I believe?) made the comment that Paes was the best player on the court, but the Bryans were the better team. Also, the Aussie doubles final shows that doubles can be a more exciting game to watch because the the strategy and the teamwork that must be executed in order to be a successful pair.

arosen
02-07-2006, 12:57 AM
The Bryans won again because they work really well together and Paes just couldnt be that much better, I agree. Bad luck for him.