PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Yonex Muscle Power 3i?

ian5
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I saw that it is suppose to be great on the are per Racket Research and was wondering how it played?

racdoc
06-11-2004, 01:41 AM
I just bought 3 of them really cheap. Strung one and played with it for the first time yesterday. It requires some lead tape at 3 & 9 O'clock to help stabilize the frame. It however does have a very comfortable feel, soft yet powerful.

I switched to this frame from the Yonex Super RD Tour 90. Its the first time that I am playing with a 95sq.in racquet. This model does not feel like a 95sq.in since the head is longer, rather than round.

As for the Racket Research's findings, I so far tend to agree with them. I have both elbow and shoulder issues and this racquet seems to be working out.

I will leave a post after I have played with this racquet a few weeks, and in some tournaments.

They are selling in Canada for about $85US tax in.

alleycat
06-11-2004, 05:14 AM
I'm a 4.0 all court, more baseline, and have been playing with 3i's for about a year and a half. It has been great for my shoulder problem. My previous racquet was a Head ti fire tour which was murder on my shoulder, especially on high backhand volleys. I recently broke one of my two 3i's and picked up a Diablo MP, which although flexible, is not nearly as shoulder friendly. The 3i is a good all court racquet with great spin potential, and a bit more power than some players racquets, which led to my moving from an eastern to a semi-western forehand grip. Although the Diablo is a good all courter as well with a more forgiving sweetspot, I prefer the extra power and shoulder friendlyness of the mp 3i.

Shane Reynolds
06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I didn't care for it. Bought it and sold it within a couple of weeks. I thought it felt stiff and unstable if you did not hit the small sweet spot. I did think it served well.

don
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I just bought 3 of them really cheap. Strung one and played with it for the first time yesterday. It requires some lead tape at 3 & 9 O'clock to help stabilize the frame. It however does have a very comfortable feel, soft yet powerful.

I switched to this frame from the Yonex Super RD Tour 90. Its the first time that I am playing with a 95sq.in racquet. This model does not feel like a 95sq.in since the head is longer, rather than round.

As for the Racket Research's findings, I so far tend to agree with them. I have both elbow and shoulder issues and this racquet seems to be working out.

I will leave a post after I have played with this racquet a few weeks, and in some tournaments.

They are selling in Canada for about $85US tax in.

Where are they being sold - I'm looking for a good racquet for tennis elbow. I presently have a Wilson Sting OS, but I've got it strung too tightly- 72 lbs. I was cosidering a Yonex MP Tour 5, since it has similar specs to the 3i - maybe adding some weight to it. However, I am learning that my Sting stacks up pretty well - maybe I just need to drop the tension about 10 lbs.

netman
06-18-2004, 04:05 AM
don,

If you are looking for a Sting replacement that is more elbow friendly you should give the Pro Kennex 5g or 7g a try. They are low powered, all court racquets that should play similar to an older thin beam frame like the Sting. They are lighter than the Sting, but are easily customized to whatever specs you desire. And the Kinetic shock dampening system really works well. Mine are at 11.8 oz with some lead at 3 and 9 and a leather grip. Search on the board here and you will see that this is a well liked racquet by both healthy players and those dealing with elbow and shoulder issues. I go to the 5g any time by shoulder or elbow are acting up and the problems disappear.

alleycat
06-18-2004, 05:33 AM
Has anyone played with both the mp 3i and tour 5? How do they compare power and shoulder friendly wise?

don
06-18-2004, 07:41 AM
don,

If you are looking for a Sting replacement that is more elbow friendly you should give the Pro Kennex 5g or 7g a try. They are low powered, all court racquets that should play similar to an older thin beam frame like the Sting. They are lighter than the Sting, but are easily customized to whatever specs you desire. And the Kinetic shock dampening system really works well. Mine are at 11.8 oz with some lead at 3 and 9 and a leather grip. Search on the board here and you will see that this is a well liked racquet by both healthy players and those dealing with elbow and shoulder issues. I go to the 5g any time by shoulder or elbow are acting up and the problems disappear.

Thanks - I know the ProKennex 5g does have a good reputation, although many of the models are a little on the stiff side. My Sting has a wide frame - it's called "High Beam Series", has grommets, and is 100% graphite. ( Black with a blue stripe and some grey around the throat.) I was wondering how it compares to the Prince Graphite Classic OS in stiffness and points head light.