PDA

View Full Version : Federer and IMG

Fedubai
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
What's going on with these guys? First we hear that the latest deal with Wilson is one of the biggest in history, then that IMG is reviewing some of his other contracts...then these rediculous rumours that Federer's haircut was the result from an agent's view on what will sell, that his tears last week were of the same motivation.....I personally don't believe any of that in the slightest.

I hope he stays true.

pound cat
02-05-2006, 03:39 PM
What's going on with these guys? First we hear that the latest deal with Wilson is one of the biggest in history, then that IMG is reviewing some of his other contracts...then these rediculous rumours that Federer's haircut was the result from an agent's view on what will sell, that his tears last week were of the same motivation.....I personally don't believe any of that in the slightest.

I hope he stays true.

If for some reason he is unable to play tennis in the future, if these tears were fake he can have a a great career as an actor.

dmastous
02-05-2006, 03:41 PM
The cynics are all around us :rolleyes:

Fee
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I need to stop reading legitimate tennis news sites, I hadn't heard any of those things (fake tears? agent inspired haircut?).

Virtuous
02-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I need to stop reading legitimate tennis news sites, I hadn't heard any of those things (fake tears? agent inspired haircut?).
Here are the crap articles:
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_soshnick&sid=az2C.FZL7ceg
Federer Fandango

The question is whether the homeless will be pushed out along with the fancy TV when the game is over.

The effort to remake reality is so pervasive it's hard to know what's genuine.

The duality of the persona of tennis ace Roger Federer was on full display this past weekend.

Eighteen months ago the seven-time Grand Slam champion wore his hair in a ponytail. His apparel of choice was a sweat suit, while his four-person management team included his mother and his girlfriend.

The 24-year-old Federer last year hired International Management Group, the same firm that represents golfer Tiger Woods. Since then Federer's hair has gotten progressively shorter and he's shown an affinity for Prada suits.

Which Federer is the real one? Sadly, the extreme makeover calls into question the tears he shed after winning the Australian Open on Jan. 29. Was Federer really overcome with emotion or did some marketing whiz at IMG suggest a few tears might play well on TV?

The Aussie Open celebration rekindles the memory of a scene in the movie ``Broadcast News,'' where the reporter played by William Hurt fakes a good cry after someone suggests that it might make for a more compelling interview.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/godlygirl/fedt.jpg
Federer makeover
By Brian Miller

January 27, 2006

TIGER Woods has it. Maria Sharapova, too.

Now, Roger Federer is hungry. Hungry for a slice of that huge endorsement pie.

He has seen the millions pour in for Woods and Sharapova. Likewise, former No. 1s Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi. He must know that his time has come. But they're simply not coming to him, the sponsors with the big bucks.

With eyes on the seventh Grand Slam title just a few days away, Federer is on top of his game. Yet, he trails the field in that area of sponsorship.

If he doesn't watch it, it could be 'game over', which is why he has sought the help of IMG - the image makers of the stars.

Federer was with them in his junior days. But he broke away in 2003. A new company, Roger Federer Management was formed and a lawyer, a financial adviser and his mother at the helm. While they garnered sponsors, none matched the deals Woods and Sharapova were signing.

IMG worked hard. Look at how captivating Sharapova has turned out to be. It's like she attended some Goddess classes.

Federer? He is still the frumpy player. No rock star grunge, no pop star groove.

The commentators say he's cool. Wrong. He's just unruffled. Bjorn Borg was cool and there was chilling authority in his coolness.

Federer? he's just cold. And that's why he has gone back to IMG. He wants an image overhaul. He wants to be seen as fashionable while he's still at his fighting best. Only then can he attract the big international sponsors.

Hence, and with the help of IMG, the new man in Federer has been slowly emerging.

A Bloomberg report quoted a partner in a sports marketing firm as saying: 'Federer's probably the most under-appreciated athlete worldwide as far as marketing's concerned.'

According to Forbes magazine, although Federer topped the men's Tour with US$6.1 million ($9.9m) in prize-money last season, his sponsorships and winnings totalled US$1m less than the US$15m Sharapova got in endorsements alone.

IMG want it to change. They want to make Federer a better candidate for global opportunities.

According to the Bloomberg report, he struts around in Prada and his once-flowing locks now have as much bounce as a tennis ball. He is, in a nutshell, doing the sponsor thing.

Will it work? It should.

After all, behind the blandness, there have been signs of an emerging Olympian persona.

His style on court is liquid as it is lyrical. And amid the homogenised, neatly-packaged young phenoms who hit balls on outside courts at all Grand Slam events, Federer is an original in thought, style and voice - no strings attached.

All he needs is for someone to bring out the positives in him. That, plus some operatic panache on court.

If he can do that. If IMG can get him to morph, he will fill any stadium. Then, he will conquer the world. After all, he is the best there is. Better than Borg ever was, better than Agassi and Sampras.

So much better that he deserves the best deal.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Not surprisingly both writers seem totally ignorant to the fact that he got a haircut way before he resigned with img.... and as for the fake tears accusation, what won't they twist and repackage as a publicity stunt? :rolleyes:

Fedubai
02-05-2006, 04:39 PM
That's true. Legit tennis news. Still, just the talk of that idiocy makes you hope he never becomes that.

Why did you have to post those articles...totally laughable. What a bunch of crap.

opiate
02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Here are the crap articles:
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_soshnick&sid=az2C.FZL7ceg
Federer Fandango
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Not surprisingly both writers seem totally ignorant to the fact that he got a haircut way before he resigned with img.... and as for the fake tears accusation, what won't they twist and repackage as a publicity stunt? :rolleyes:

Federer dropped IMG the year he won his first Wimby didn't he? The year he went coachless, he went agentless too. That's the year he cut his hair and went on Vogue magazine (or was it the year after?).

IMG wants to claim these things as their influence, when in fact they weren't. They forgot to mention the fact that Fed gave IMG the stern warning that should IMG meddle too much into his affairs and try to cramp his style, he's going to drop them again.

Fed recruited IMG to help unburden his mum. Not the other way around. IMG just doesn't want to be seen as a lackey.

Publicity people. They want what they don't have.

Fedubai
02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Yup. 2004, though, still agentless then though I think, and I think I remember....

legolas
02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
well one things for sure, he'll be having loads of endorsement deals

arosen
02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
If there is anyone at all (who is getting the endorsement gazillions) I can be happy for - it's Roger. Dude is totally cool.

pero
02-07-2006, 03:00 AM
The cynics are all around us :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :mrgreen:
yep