PDA

View Full Version : UGHHH...my proshop said this.....kind of scared me...dilemma

Andy Zarzuela
06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
I went to my local pro shop to get my Yonex MP-2i strung. I wanted it strung at 64lbs. He said, well it's not a constant pull machine (it's a crank one), so he told the boy stringer to set the crank at 69 or 70lbs. For these reasons:1: he said what it was a larger head size racquet (although it's only 102"),2: it was not a constant tension pull due to the crank, and 3: it was a widebody frame. So I was kind of like "uhhhhhhhh", but how close do you think my tension will be to my desired 64 lbs?!?! Perhaps he is allowing a 5lb allowance for the crank rather than a constant pull? What do you think? Thanks.
________
List of suzuki motorcycles (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/List_of_Suzuki_motorcycles)

PHSTennis
06-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I dont know cranks are accurate... the guy wants 64lbs why dont they just give it to them, hahah lmao What ever customers ask I will string it at that tension.... your stringer must be physco... cranks just need to be calibrated and its fine... hes insane, a mad man is what I think.

Hit 'em clean
06-11-2004, 06:08 AM
I would hope that what he really meant was that he was stringing it tighter on the crank to provide the same result you would get on the constant pull machine. Widebody has nothing to do with it. I explain the difference to my customers as I have a constant pull stringer. I give them the option....most just want me to string at their normal tension anyway. Usually you allow for 5-10%, I tend to opt for 5% as almost everyone prefers their strings a little on the tight side and they can settle in. Too loose is just a lost cause and an instant restring job.

What worries me are his comments about widebody and headsize. Granted you haven't presented your entire conversation and what he heard from you. Basically if you're looking for more control and mentioned that. He might have just been telling you that the widebody and extra head size mean you'll need to string tighter for more control. You'll see this bourne out in the mfg recommended string tensions as the ranges are always higher the bigger the headsize and on widebody frames.

Gaines Hillix
06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
What Hit 'em clean said. The results are what really matter. Did it play the way you liked it to? If not, go down on tension the next time.

David Pavlich
06-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Did you have your frame strung on a CP machine before you went to the shop with the crank machine? I'm puzzled as to why a shop owner would automatically do this unless your frame was done on a CP machine and you wanted the same results or at least as close as possible.

Keep in mind that if the crank machine is calibrated correctly, it STILL pulls at the set tension. The difference is that a crank machine stops pulling once the break sets, which is where the tension difference comes in. A CP machine keeps pulling (ie holds at the reference tension) until the string is clamped and the tension head deactivated. In other words, the crank machine will actually pull 69 or 70 lbs, even for a moment then start to drop tension, but the CP machine will stop at 64 but stay there.

What I'm saying here is that pulling your Yonex at 69 or 70 lbs may be really stressing your frame...especially a Yonex, which is a great frame, but very sensitive as far as string stresses are concerned.

David

Joe Oldschool
06-13-2004, 02:01 PM
That's why stringing on the same machine everytime is as important as stringing the same tension everytime.

Stringing is a little bit art and a little bit science. What really counts is consistency.