PDA

View Full Version : stringing ???

chow ming en
02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
will the string tension(of all strings) drop by 3 to 6 pounds after stringing ?

thanks

dantyem108
02-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Usually it depends on the type of stringer and the method you are using. However, I would say 2-4 lbs. is more reasonable.

Masamusou
02-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I disagree with dantyem108. Depending on the string, they will typically lose between 8-15% within the first 24 hours without playing.

Gaines Hillix
02-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I disagree with dantyem108. Depending on the string, they will typically lose between 8-15% within the first 24 hours without playing.

I agree. According to tests done by the USRSA, 8-12 lbs. is a more typical tension loss in the first few minutes of play immediately after stringing versus the set tension on the machine. This is built into the equation so to speak. If you strung a racquet high enough to compensate for this it would feel much too stiff. There is disagreement on how to handle polys because of their higher than normal initial tension loss. Some poeple string it a few lbs. higher to compensate for this, but many poly strings are much stiffer than nylon, zyex, polyolefin or gut strings, so most manufacturers recommend stringing them 5-10% lower. You just have to find the tension that works best for you.

dantyem108
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I agree, I thought he was strictly talking about immediatley after stringing, not after hitting. Sorry for the wrong info...

dmastous
02-06-2006, 01:38 PM
All strings will lose some tension, but I think Polys and some multifibers will lose more.
Gaines Hillix give the best assesment here.

CheapStrings
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
You can't categorically say polys have poor tension holding ability anymore as the newer polys are comparable to non-polys. The RSI review of Polylon SP stated it had about a 7% tension loss compared to 9% for PSG Original Gold.

coach
02-08-2006, 08:03 AM
All strings will lose some tension, but I think Polys and some multifibers will lose more.
Gaines Hillix give the best assesment here.
I agree with the above post but one thing you can do to a multifibre to help protect against a big tension loss is pre-stretching it. I also string on a drop weight and will routinely let it (the arm bar) drop another inch (to parallel) after it initially comes to rest. It's adds another 5-10 seconds to pulling each string but quality is more important than speed to me.

This is not an option with most polys. prestretching it won't yield anything at least in the conventional way of pulling it against a fixed object.