PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for PK 5G?

Newberry
02-06-2006, 05:35 AM
I have a 5G on the way. Always wanted to try one after all the good reviews. Its coming with 2 month old Tecnifibre 515 at 63 lbs.

If I restring, I only have Wilson Ultra syngut 16g, or Goosen micro 17g to choose from.

I'm pretty new to stringing, so are there any tips for this particular frame?

SteveI
02-06-2006, 06:02 AM
I have a 5G on the way. Always wanted to try one after all the good reviews. Its coming with 2 month old Tecnifibre 515 at 63 lbs.

If I restring, I only have Wilson Ultra syngut 16g, or Goosen micro 17g to choose from.

I'm pretty new to stringing, so are there any tips for this particular frame?

Hi,

Some have stated that this frame plays better when strung in the high 50s..once you get in the 60s, some have reported a loss of power and lack of feel. The TF 515 will be down a bit in tension... but still should be quite powefull and soft. Both strings you have mentioned are very nice basic strings and should play fine in that frame given that you do not over tension. Check out the long feedback posted with that frame.. I am sure many have recorded their set-ups.

Regards and Enjoy.. I know you are getting a sweet frame!,
Steve

Steve Huff
02-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I think a multifiliment string plays best in it. Technifibre 515 has great feel. I think that Alpha Prodigy feels like the TF 515, but holds tension longer. You might want to give that a try.

coach
02-06-2006, 10:27 AM

I'm pretty new to stringing, so are there any tips for this particular frame?I have no experience with those two but I used (until last Nov.) the PK 5g for 3 years. I used 17g Tecnifibre NRG2 in the mains (a soft multi) and Prince syn gut w/ duraflex in the crosses. I strung it around 63 mains, and 61 x's. A nice set up that gave me controllable power, esp. on volleys.

Newberry
02-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks all for the replies.
I got to play with the 515 strung 5G yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I'm normally very skeptical of new "technology", but the 5G was a pleasure to use.

The 515 had a very "grippy/rubbery" feeling coating, and seemed to stay in place pretty well. Much different feel from the super slick goosen.

Spin was a lot easier to generate than I had expected, and I wonder just how much of it was due to the "grippier" 515 string (compared to the syngut than I'm used to).