PDA

View Full Version : JHH does, indeed, hit her FHs and BHs without changing grips (at least, sometimes)

Ripper
02-06-2006, 07:01 AM
On another thread, I mentioned that, IMHO, Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin-Hardenne, both, hit their FHs and BHs without changing grips, with the same side of the raquet. Fellow posters Slazenger and Fastdunn said I was wrong. Here's the exchange:

...I'm quite positive that BOTH these players don't change their FH grips when going for their BHs. In other words, they hit their FHs and BHs with the same side of the raquet. If you take AM's Western FH grip and use it on the BH, without switcing, you end up with an Eastern BH grip AND if you take JHH's Semi-Western FH and do the same thing, you end up with Extreme Western BH...

Both Mauresmo and Justine change grips for FH and BH...

I checked this particular issue from my taped recordings and I can confirm Justine does change grips when she hits groundies...

In the very recent (infamous) Justine - Amelie AO final, I tried to check on this on both players (to my surprise it's not so easy to do this). It seems to me that they do, indeed, change grips on ocassions, but not always. Remember there's a lot of slicing and funny stuff (bluffing, for example) going on.

Well, here's a very short video of JHH that I'd like to present as evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/w/justine-henin-hardenne?v=D8d2b5tHA6o&search=henin%20hardenne

I rest my case :mrgreen:

Edit: The truth is that, sometimes, when watching this video, I think I see her switching, but it's dificult to be sure. I'm, almost, sure, she's not switching; just re-tightening her grip. So, what do you guys see here? Does she or does she not?

JackRabbit
02-06-2006, 07:11 AM
What are you talking about? You can clearly see her changing grips after her backhand.

Rickson
02-06-2006, 07:12 AM
She definitely switched grips and she used the other side of the racquet.

jamumafa
02-06-2006, 07:12 AM
As she brings the BH swing back dwn , you see a slight grip change

TheRed
02-06-2006, 07:19 AM
she changes it.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 07:24 AM
A friend of mine just checked it out (standing right beside me) and is of the same opinion as you guys. Guess I'll just have to go have my eyesight checked. Lol.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine just checked it out (standing right beside me) and is of the same opinion as you guys. Guess I'll just have to go have my eyesight checked. Lol.

Yep, different sides of the raquet. Had to "pause" it into many still images, one immediately after the other, in order to be able to see it.

Edit: So, for the record, I stand corrected (at least in what respects to this video).

Rickson
02-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Yep, different sides of the raquet. Had to "pause" into many still images, one immediately after the other, in order to be able to see it.
I Know it's the other side because I change from the bh grip to the fh grip the same way.

crazylevity
02-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Same here. Most common and efficient way to change from BH to FH...wouldn't be surprised if it's the norm.

crazylevity
02-06-2006, 07:58 AM
And another thing...I thought Justine used a Western FH grip...some pics seem to show this.

Can anyone confirm, SW or Western?

Rickson
02-06-2006, 08:01 AM
And another thing...I thought Justine used a Western FH grip...some pics seem to show this.

I'd call it a strong semi western on the forehand side.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Justine's forehand grip is a semiwestern. Her backhand grip is what I call a semiwestern backhand grip, but some call it an extreme eastern and others a western backhand grip. Maybe, you meant to write BH.

PS: Btw, Amelie Mauresmo's FH grip is a western. So, maybe, you meant her.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Same here. Most common and efficient way to change from BH to FH...wouldn't be surprised if it's the norm.

Yeah, maybe it's a standard procedure or something, because, in theory, she really doesn't need to change...

Edit: I mean, if you think about the grips she most commonly uses for her BH and FH.

VGP
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Where's Alberto Berasategui when you need him, Ripper?

Ripper
02-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Where's Alberto Berasategui when you need him, Ripper?

Mauresmo would be closer to Berastegui than Henin Hardenne, because Mauresmo has a western fh grip and an eastern 1hbh grip, just like Berastegui, so, in theory, she could hit both with the same side of the raquet, without switching grips, like he did. However, as you can see, I haven't been able to prove that she does that. Or Henin Hardenne, with her grips. I'm pretty sure they do this, when necessary, like when they have little time to prepare. Nevertheless, it seems to me that there's some advantage to turning the raquet around anyway, even if you don't really have to. It's just that I don't know what this advantage is, yet.