PDA

View Full Version : Davis cup on OLN channel??

pham4313
02-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Just a couple days ago i checked TV listings on yahoo and found that Davis cup is on OLN channel on the 11th and 12th of Feb. But now i check again and the lineup is gone. Anybody know if OLN abandons broadcasting it or what happens? US has pretty good chance to win over Romania in the first ground of tournament.

Gugafan_Redux
02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
OLN USA
Outdoor Life Network
Two Stamford Plaza
281 Tresser Boulevard
Stamford, CT 06901
Phone: (203) 406-2500 Fax: (203) 406-2534

Programming Inquiries or Viewer Feedback
feedback@olntv.com

On-Air Advertising
adsales@olntv.com
Employment Opportunities
Click here for a list of current jobs. jobs@olntv.com

All other Inquiries
feedback@olntv.com

OLN Canada

Rabbit
02-06-2006, 07:37 AM
The Tennis Channel is advertising the U.S. vs Romania and other match ups that weekend.

yourserve
02-06-2006, 07:43 AM
espn or the tennis channel was advertising davis cup over the weekend.
don't remember which one. sorry

yourserve
02-06-2006, 10:55 AM
the rabbit is fast... at least faster than me.
tennis channel is showing fri 8:00 am ger-fra live
2:00 pm usa-rom live
it didin't show anything past fri.
i don't think they started with their promos until they knew who was
going to be playing for the us.

splink779
02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
ESPN is showing nothing. TTC is showing USA vs ROM and GER vs FRA - I'm looking for a Haas Gasquet rematch, and of course, Kiefer Grosjean as well. Funny how that worked out huh?

BreakPoint
02-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Hmmm...I just check Yahoo TV and it's still showing up on OLN for Sat. at 1:00pm PST (4pm EST) and Sun. at 11:00am PST (2pm EST).

Moose Malloy
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Confusing schedule for viewers, from tennisweek:

Friday, February 10th: The Tennis Channel will present complete live coverage of the opening singles matches starting at 2 p.m. The Tennis Channel will air a complete replay of both singles matches starting at 8 p.m.

Saturday, February 11th: OLN will televise the doubles match between Americans Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and the Romanian team, which could be Andrei Pavel and Victor Hanescu, live starting at 4 p.m. The Tennis Channel will replay the doubles match starting at 8 p.m.

Sunday, February 12th: OLN will televise the first reverse singles match live starting at 2 p.m. If the tie is not decided by the conclusion of this match, OLN will broadcast the second singles match, which is the final match of the tie, live until 5 p.m. when coverage will transfer to The Tennis Channel a move that could certainly frustrate viewers who do not get the Tennis Channel, but one OLN tells Tennis Week is necessary because OLN is contractually obligated to begin its NHL coverage (Avalanche vs. Red Wings for you puck heads) at 5 p.m.

The combined coverage is a welcome benefit for viewers who do not get The Tennis Channel including staff members in the USTA headquarters in White Plains, N.Y. where The Tennis Channel is not available on Cablevision however the timing of the announcement just four days before the first shot is struck raises questions:

Why didn't The Tennis Channel, which already owns international Davis Cup rights, simply acquire complete rights to the U.S. Davis Cup season when it had the opportunity after ESPN dropped Davis Cup concluding its 26-year run as the official home of the competition?

While combining coverage on two networks potentially provides greater exposure for the competition, why wouldn't the USTA consider paying a network with an even larger audience reach to televise the event to ensure the largest potential audience?

Does OLN's Davis Cup deal mean the network is positioning itself as a potential player in televising future tennis events?

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14704&bannerregion=

BreakPoint
02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Confusing schedule for viewers, from tennisweek:

Friday, February 10th: The Tennis Channel will present complete live coverage of the opening singles matches starting at 2 p.m. The Tennis Channel will air a complete replay of both singles matches starting at 8 p.m.

Saturday, February 11th: OLN will televise the doubles match between Americans Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and the Romanian team, which could be Andrei Pavel and Victor Hanescu, live starting at 4 p.m. The Tennis Channel will replay the doubles match starting at 8 p.m.

Sunday, February 12th: OLN will televise the first reverse singles match live starting at 2 p.m. If the tie is not decided by the conclusion of this match, OLN will broadcast the second singles match, which is the final match of the tie, live until 5 p.m. when coverage will transfer to The Tennis Channel — a move that could certainly frustrate viewers who do not get the Tennis Channel, but one OLN tells Tennis Week is necessary because OLN is contractually obligated to begin its NHL coverage (Avalanche vs. Red Wings for you puck heads) at 5 p.m.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14704&bannerregion=

That seems to contradict the info from this thread, especially regarding coverage of the first two singles matches on Friday, Feb. 19th.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85783

So is OLN going to broadcast the singles matches on Friday or aren't they? :confused:

devila
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
1st singles matches are only on that jackass tennis channel on Friday.

OLN has doubles on Saturday. Reverse singles on Sunday.
OLN isn't based in the USA. If it was in the US, no one would see any tennis. I remember back in 2002, they showed some tennis to help a small US tournament.

No question, it'll be a bore to watch despite the fanfare and players' excitement.

str33t
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
¿ i thought the tennis channel was showing the davis cup this weekend ?

Ronaldo
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
So, like, which network has the Aus/Swiss tie?

Moose Malloy
02-08-2006, 01:47 PM
No one in the US is showing Australia/Switzerland. With no Federer or Hewitt, what's the point?

Just read this, its a shame they couldn't team Mac with Arias, who's the one guy other than Mac who really speaks his mind. Sure they'd have some funny stories about each other:

"John McEnroe will make a Davis Cup comeback behind the microphone. The former U.S. Davis Cup captain and owner of five American Davis Cup records returns to Davis Cup competition this weekend in LaJolla, California as the analyst for The Tennis Channel and Outdoor Life Network's Davis Cup coverage of the United States' opening-round tie against Romania.

A member of five Davis Cup championship teams, McEnroe joins The Tennis Channel’s lead play-by-play broadcaster Leif Shiras in the broadcast booth. It is McEnroe’s first stint as an analyst on either network and marks the second straight year he will call a Davis Cup tie."

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14714&bannerregion=

Fee
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Somewhere, I saw a link that OLN may have a Friday singles match on their website on Friday night. Let me see if I can track that down.

Okay, keep an eye on this page

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/12161/?UserDef=true&catID=76

There's some odd problem with it today, it didnt look like that a few days ago, but I suppose updates and such will be posted there.

pham4313
02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
well i guess no tennis today then except for folks with Tennis Channel. At least they show it tomorrow. Cant wait to see the match!:cool:

gully
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
The OLN page Fee posted is now showing this :

Tune in for a special encore presentaion of the first round match-up on OLNTV.com available starting Friday, February 10th @ 9:00pm ET.

BreakPoint
02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
The OLN page Fee posted is now showing this :

Tune in for a special encore presentaion of the first round match-up on OLNTV.com available starting Friday, February 10th @ 9:00pm ET.

Thanks for the heads-up!! :D

I'll be sure to tune in to OLN at 6:00pm PST. I hope they're not pulling our leg!

Fee
02-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Read that carefully BP, it will be on the website, not on the cable channel.

BreakPoint
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Read that carefully BP, it will be on the website, not on the cable channel.

Thanks Fee! I guess I was so excited that I read it too quickly. That sucks that it's only going to be on the website and not on TV! :(

gully
02-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks Fee! I guess I was so excited that I read it too quickly. That sucks that it's only going to be on the website and not on TV! :(Can anybody find a link? I don't see one anywhere on olntv.com, just thenote that says it'll be there....

MonkeyPants
02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Has anyone been able to access this video? Anyone? Bueller?

Ronaldo
02-10-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.olntv.com/img/davis-cup-streaming-button2.jpg

Ronaldo
02-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Roddick/Pavel

BreakPoint
02-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm watching it now online at www.olntv.com. :D

gully
02-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Cool. Now if I HADN'T just given up and let my eleven-year-old tell me the scores....

Fee
02-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Here's another link to try:

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/12161/?UserDef=true&catID=76

BreakPoint
02-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Did the OLN webcast just skip a few games towards the end of the exciting Roddick - Pavel match? WTF?

VamosRafa
02-11-2006, 01:10 AM
I do know that John McEnroe was at the site doing commentary, with Lief Shiras, I believe.

I thought they were doing it for TTC. But it was for OLN????

Again, with Davis Cup, better to see it live -- because tv coverage always is iffy, and even more so now.

barry
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Is the reason the Davis cup is not shown because ESPN bought the rights to it, but elected not to show it.

OLN shedule

2/11/2006 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm DAVIS CUP
TBD
2/12/2006 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm DAVIS CUP
TBD

Fee
02-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Sort of, ESPN has given up on Davis Cup, said its not worth it. TTC and OLN took over with some type of shared rights deal for this tie. NOt sure exactly what's happening for the next one.

Ronaldo
02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
If US plays Chile, which country hosts the tie?

dancraig
02-11-2006, 02:10 PM
well i guess no tennis today then except for folks with Tennis Channel. At least they show it tomorrow. Cant wait to see the match!:cool:

My program guide shows college tennis at 6:00 pm eastern on CSTV, College Sports Television. Right now a basketball game is finishing up on that network.