PDA

View Full Version : your davis-cup predictions

thn
02-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Germany - France 3:2//4:1
-> Toughest first round match, no doubt. I think Haas, winning delray beach, and kiefer, semifinalist aussie open, are in better shape than Gasquet and Grosjean lately. and I believe they made a mistake leaving santoro at home, because he and llodra were the favourites for the doubles.
Belarus - Spain 3:2 =)
-> Quite an interesting match, spain has the better roster though. but belarus are the hometeam and they choosed a very fast carpet to play on, which could be problematic for robredo and ferrer. not to forget, that mirnyi is a skilled player.

the rest of the predictions I leave to you so far, perhaps you can do them better than I can... 8) although in my eyes, argentina vs sweden (on clay) and usa vs romania will be quite clear results.

gonzalocatalino
02-06-2006, 08:04 AM
in clay, in Argentina?
Argentina - 5
Sweden - 0

Argentina, in the last 8 davis series played in home, have won with 5-0 scores 7 times...only Croatia have won a match here since 1998.

This is the "new" stadium specially made for this event (15 km from my home!!!):
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/01/26/fotos/t036dh02.jpg

Grimjack
02-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Prediction: at each match's venue, several hundred truly rabid and nationalistic fans will paint themselves up like flags, scream obscenities in their native tongues, and generally make drunken asses of themselves. All around the rest of the world, nobody else will care.

This scenario will repeat itself each round until the final match is completed, at which point the winning nation's fans and players will high five themselves as if anything of consequence has just transpired, while the real players concentrate on whatever legitimate tournament is about to begin. This drama will be broadcast on a fly-by-night network somewhere, and even there, advertisers will be tossing money out the window for commercial time.

Max G.
02-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I believe they made a mistake leaving santoro at home, because he and llodra were the favourites for the doubles.

Santoro's had some issues with the French tennis federation. From what I gather, the reason he's not playing has nothing to do with whether he's good enough or not - it's some sort of personal issues.

RiosTheGenius
02-06-2006, 09:20 AM
in clay, in Argentina?
Argentina - 5
Sweden - 0

Argentina, in the last 8 davis series played in home, have won with 5-0 scores 7 times...only Croatia have won a match here since 1998.

This is the "new" stadium specially made for this event (15 km from my home!!!):
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/01/26/fotos/t036dh02.jpg
it looks like it was built with breadsticks.... lol just kidding, nice stadium :)

gonzalocatalino
02-06-2006, 10:19 AM
it looks like it was built with breadsticks.... lol just kidding, nice stadium :)

i don`t think it is nice...in fact, i think it sucks! :|

It was build very fast, just for this davis cup matches. The other stadium is occupied, because of the Telmex Bs. As. Cup next week.

croatian sensation
02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Croatia-Austria will be a tough one..I'm really not that happy about the draw. It will be in Austria, on clay. They have 3 lefties and one of them recently started playing good (Koubek) plus he's a clay courter.
We have no captain (ok ok we have a player-captain :roll: ), Karlovic is injured, Ljubicic probably can't remember the last time he played on clay...have to keep my fingers crossed.
I say 3:2 for us if we're lucky.

Andres
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Croatia-Austria will be a tough one..I'm really not that happy about the draw. It will be in Austria, on clay. They have 3 lefties and one of them recently started playing good (Koubek) plus he's a clay courter.
We have no captain (ok ok we have a player-captain :roll:), Karlovic is injured, Ljubicic probably can't remember the last time he played on clay...have to keep my fingers crossed.
I say 3:2 for us if we're lucky.

ARG vs CRO in CRO, QF:
ARG 4-1. Nalbandian over Ljubicic, Coria over Ancic, we win doubles, Ljubicic over Coria, Nalbandian crushes Ancic ;)

LOL :D

Andres
02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
ARG vs. SWE...
On clay? On the last 8 times we played local in clay, we won 7 by 5-0.
I predict a 4-1 ... even a 5-0

thn
02-06-2006, 11:22 AM
no doubt, the argentines will kick asses on clay.

You´re right, croatia could have a hard time against austria on clay. but I think they will win it nevertheless

croatian sensation
02-06-2006, 11:31 AM
ARG vs CRO in CRO, QF:
ARG 4-1. Nalbandian over Ljubicic, Coria over Ancic, we win doubles, Ljubicic over Coria, Nalbandian crushes Ancic ;)

Ah yeah..crossing the bridges before you come to them..just like your fellow Argentinian Guillermo who after winning in Umag said to the press "See you in Zagreb". And we know what happend. But I'll jump the train. :D
We win doubles, Ljubo and Mario both crash Coria (we're talking claycourter-with Kournikova serve playing on faaaast surface). Nalby crushes Ancic and maybe defeats Ljubicic in 5 (cause Ljubicic usually can't win a 5-setter).
I mean...win doubles and destroy Coria is the tactic that got Slovakia to the finals. (sorry Guille, I still like you :-) but that's just reality)

Moose Malloy
02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Just read that this is only the 2nd meeting ever between Germany & France. Pretty surprising, considering the DC history of both countries.

Andres
02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Mario has never won over Coria.
Coria won even on grass, in 2004 and he crushed him in clay.
Coria has won over Ljubo lately (double 6-2, if I don't recall wrong, and don't come saying it was an exhibition, the results are there), and Nalbandian did too.

On doubles, Nalbandian and Calleri, or Acasuso would work fine ;)

Still, 4-1 ARG, CroSen darling ;)

croatian sensation
02-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Mario has never won over Coria.
Coria won even on grass, in 2004 and he crushed him in clay.

I have a feeling we won't choose grass or clay as the surface :-D

Andres
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a feeling we won't choose grass or clay as the surface :-D

Grass is still faster than the carpet u use to choose (not so sure about the carpet Belarus uses), so isn't because of the fast surface ;)

croatian sensation
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Grass is still faster than the carpet u use to choose (not so sure about the carpet Belarus uses), so isn't because of the fast surface ;)

No no no..it's not about the speed...c'mon could you imagine Ljubicic choose grass lol. Plus, we don't have a grass court in Croatia :-)(except one practice court God knows where, nobody has seen it yet, there are only legends about its existance).

Andres
02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
No no no..it's not about the speed...c'mon could you imagine Ljubicic choose grass lol. Plus, we don't have a grass court in Croatia :-)(except one practice court God knows where, nobody has seen it yet, there are only legends about its existance).

Still, you said Ancic would crash coria because of the faaaast surface... and Coria won against Ancic in grass... how faster u want?

Still, with time comes the results... let's wait a little bit ;)

gonzalocatalino
02-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Today i will go to pick up my tickets for the fridays matchs!! i have a great seats and will carry my dig. camera (the big sony dsc828), so, next weekend will be posting a bunch of pics!

Go Argentina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:D

peter
02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
ARG vs. SWE...
On clay? On the last 8 times we played local in clay, we won 7 by 5-0.
I predict a 4-1 ... even a 5-0

Oh - we will kick your butts so hard you didn't know what hit you! :-)

Remember - Sweden even built indoor clay court stadiums before in order to win Davis Cups! (What? was that a long time ago? *REFUSES TO LISTEN* - Olalalalalalala - BINGO!)

Hmm... We'll win the doubles (Björkman-Aspelin is good) match. Then it depends on the form for the singles guys. Thomas Johansson has been known to play good on clay occasionally. And a fresh Robin Söderling might surprise you!

Oh, and by the way. We have flying pigs here in Sweden too!!!

thn
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
and they just fly over and distract coria and co.
lol =)

devila
02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/b/ap/photos/ARGENTINA_SWEDEN_TENNIS1415066_lower.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-02-07T153147Z_01_BAS02D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-DAVIS-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-02-07T152546Z_01_BAS04D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-DAVIS-TENNIS.jpg

Here's Captain Mats Wilander. What a sad predicament. He can give advice to the struggling top players, but he won't coach just a little bit.

peter
02-09-2006, 07:25 AM
S1: David Nalbandian - Robin Söderling
S2: José Acasuso - Thomas Johansson
D: David Nalbandian / Augustin Calleri - Jonas Björkman / Simon Aspelin

(S3 & S4 is the reverse of S1 & S2, but as usual I would suspect changes depending on the results of the first three matches)

Butt kicking time! :-)

Andres
02-09-2006, 08:23 AM
http://www.daviscup.com/gallery/popup.asp?id=13607&current=5303

Acasuso and Chela are listed both at the same height 6'3'', but Acasuso seeeems soooo much taller.

Maybe is just because of the angle of the camera... but still :p

peter
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.daviscup.com/gallery/popup.asp?id=13607&current=5303

Acasuso and Chela are listed both at the same height 6'3'', but Acasuso seeeems soooo much taller.

Maybe is just because of the angle of the camera... but still :p

How come Nalbandian almost always looks so... sad/down? (See for example image 6 in that gallery)

http://www.daviscup.com/gallery/popup.asp?id=13607&current=5305

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Grosjean & Gasquet get a chance to avenge their Aussie Open defeats(and the tie is held on Rebound Ace!):

R1 - N.KIEFER (GER) v S.GROSJEAN (FRA)
R2 - T.HAAS (GER) v R.GASQUET (FRA)
R3 - T.HAAS / A.WASKE (GER) v A.CLEMENT / M.LLODRA (FRA)
R4 - N.KIEFER (GER) v R.GASQUET (FRA)
R5 - T.HAAS (GER) v S.GROSJEAN (FRA)

Andres
02-09-2006, 09:21 AM
How come Nalbandian almost always looks so... sad/down? (See for example image 6 in that gallery)

http://www.daviscup.com/gallery/popup.asp?id=13607&current=5305

He's not sad... he's concentrating... to kick some swedish asses :D

melzer federer
02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Go Austria. I believe that Melzer can beat both Croation if he plays a little better than he has of late. I also think Koubec can win to. Being in Austria, I am sure the clay is going to be super slow.

I am looking forward to this tie, and am hoping for an upset. No offense to any Croates out there.

LeftyServe
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Is there a reason Coria is not playing this tie?

Andres
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
He said he feels he's... out of shape... "tennis-ly" speaking ;)
He wants to be at 100% to join the team in QF, if we pass ;)

croatian sensation
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Go Austria. I believe that Melzer can beat both Croation if he plays a little better than he has of late. I also think Koubec can win to. Being in Austria, I am sure the clay is going to be super slow.

I am looking forward to this tie, and am hoping for an upset. No offense to any Croates out there.

Non taken...but it's CROATS not Croates :cool:

mislav
02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm hoping for 3:2 for Croatia vs. Austria.

But, can Slovaks reach the finals again this year? I personally believe they'll be crushed by the USA in the second round.

Max G.
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I think the Slovaks won't make it past the first round, they'll get beat by Gonzo and Massu in Chile.

Andres
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
I think the Slovaks won't make it past the first round, they'll get beat by Gonzo and Massu in Chile.

I agree :cool:

simi
02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Draws are out, as most know. Looks like Guga is on for Saturday. Didn't know he was much of a doubles player. Also, Bhupathi and Paes team up together again. Neither one is scheduled for singles.