PDA

View Full Version : Could any male player (besides Federer) make a comeback like Hingis?

stalliondan
02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Is it just me or am I the only one shaking my head at the Hingis comeback? I am very happy for her and think that she is a super gifted player but doesn't it show how bad the WTA's depth really is where a player that has barely played in 3 years due to a 'foot' injury can comeback and beat players till the quarters. I don't think this would ever happen in the ATP, especially not at the beginning of their comeback. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Moose Malloy
02-06-2006, 10:24 AM
She didn't "barely play" in 3 years, she still kept in shape, was training, etc. Played an event early last year, played WTT.

Check out Haas in '04(beat Roddick early in his comeback after 1 yr abscence), T. Johansson in '04, Krajicek(missed 1 1/2 years, made quarters of Wimbledon his first event back)

If you're good enough, it is possible.

stalliondan
02-06-2006, 10:25 AM
ya but we are talking 3 years here, not 1 or 1.5. Big difference

Journeyman
02-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Vince Spadea can and will have a comeback that will end with him as world #1.

Rabbit
02-06-2006, 10:27 AM
She didn't "barely play" in 3 years, she still kept in shape, was training, etc. Played an event early last year, played WTT.

Check out Haas in '04(beat Roddick early in his comeback after 1 yr abscence), T. Johansson in '04, Krajicek(missed 1 1/2 years, made quarters of Wimbledon his first event back)

If you're good enough, it is possible.

Of course, if you look back at her WTT performance, it wasn't exactly a great endorsement of her later success. She lost to some pretty unknown players last summer.

Hell, if McEnroe can come back and play good doubles at 47, I call that a comeback despite what LL says.

Answering the question directly, no, I don't think a male player taking 4 years off from the sport could come back to his first Grand Slam tournament and go to the quarters. Hingis has proved that she is something special.

stalliondan
02-06-2006, 10:36 AM
but see that is the question, is it because she is so special or because most of the rest of the WTA's players are garbage?

Journeyman
02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Lleyton Hewitt is one more first round loss away from pulling a Juwana man on the WTA.

thn
02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Im on this with stalliondan, it shows how bad the wta tour besides the atp one really is. I agree that she is a gifted player, but beating scharapowa 6-2,6-1 was ridiculous. A genius and god-like player like sampras couldnīt do that, especially not after such a short time.

Infinite42
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Of course, if you look back at her WTT performance, it wasn't exactly a great endorsement of her later success. She lost to some pretty unknown players last summer.

I just perused this past season's results, and as far I as I saw, the only person Hingis lost to in singles was Meghan Shaughnessy. Hingis beat Navratilova and a few no-namers.

Andres
02-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Cañas did the same thing. Puerta too... both came from #200 to Top10...

stalliondan
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
haha, Andres it is kind of funny that the 2 players you mentioned have been kicked off the tour for steroids!

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Cañas did the same thing. Puerta too... both came from #200 to Top10...

They are probably practicing together right now...waiting to make their next move! Right after all of those meetings with the suits and the appeals process.

Hope both come back and do some "Don't do 'roids, stay in school" public service announcements....and end up serving as good examples for the kids out there.

Andres
02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
haha, Andres it is kind of funny that the 2 players you mentioned have been kicked off the tour for steroids!

Yeah, but Caņas was one year off because of his wrist injury. Nothing to do with doping.
He came back from #250, won 3 titles in 2004, in 2005 got nothing to defend, made QF at RG and Sf in Halle (or Queen's, but on grass), and stopped playing. He (and Nalbandian) are the only argentinians who usually do well in grass.. He could get to 4th round at Wimby and get to #6 ;)

Alexaggie
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't think Federer could do it either....

Gugafan_Redux
02-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Vince Spadea can and will have a comeback that will end with him as world #1.

<font tone=sarcasm>

Yes, and Cedric Pioline is coming back at Monte Carlo this year, and will be number 8 by the end of the year.

</font tone=sarcasm>

pound cat
02-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't think of any male player who was at the top, or still has a burning hunger to be at the top, has the drive, , the self-asurance, the cockiness, the personality, and the pure blind ambition and the talent. No, I can't think of anyone who would commit himself to the work it takes to come back to tennis for whatever reason there was a break. Except, as the opening post says, Federer. who has all of these attributes.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah pound cat?
That's it! [modest fistpump]. I never got past satellites and the qualies of challengers, but pound cat...you've inspired me to make the run I should have made fifteen years ago.

So to answer the question in the title of the thread......I'm that guy. Watch out ATP! Watch out for the middle aged guy with the nice backhand -- and that is all.xx

pound cat
02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh good slice bh compliment . this messageboard has been waiting for you. When you get to the finals of a Slam I'll make sure there is a thread with your name in it that ends up in a 15 page religious discussion. (But you have to have come from nowhere and come from a very small country) LOL

Yours!05
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
that is all.xxWondering...is there a double-edged sword aspect to having a photographic memory?

chaognosis
02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I suspect John McEnroe could be more than halfway competitive on today's ATP tour, if he so desired.

Shabazza
02-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I suspect John McEnroe could be more than halfway competitive on today's ATP tour, if he so desired.
You cannot be serious!!!!

VGP
02-06-2006, 03:50 PM
You cannot be serious!!!!

Speaking of that....in his 2002 autobiography McEnroe claims to be 60% the player he used to be and said that he could give any player on the ATP a run for a couple of sets.

Take that as you wish.

With regards to Hingis, she's only 25. That's a big plus in her favor.

jeebeesus
02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Bobby Riggs did.And he came back and beat some multiple Slam winners too.And he was like what,55?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0109576.html

Shabazza
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Speaking of that....in his 2002 autobiography McEnroe claims to be 60% the player he used to be and said that he could give any player on the ATP a run for a couple of sets.

Take that as you wish.

With regards to Hingis, she's only 25. That's a big plus in her favor.
that was over 3 years ago - I didn't believe it then and neither do I now, he isn't going to get younger ;)

Bobby Riggs did.And he came back and beat some multiple Slam winners too.And he was like what,55?
1. He played women and not men
2. The game wasn't as physical as it is nowadays - no way could a 50+ or 45+ for that matter (you hear me JMac :p ) get into a shape to play competitive against the top players again.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh good slice bh compliment . this messageboard has been waiting for you. When you get to the finals of a Slam I'll make sure there is a thread with your name in it that ends up in a 15 page religious discussion. (But you have to have come from nowhere and come from a very small country) LOL

Thanks for the support! Prepare to be taken up ... on that 15 pager!
And yeah, coming from nowhere -- guaranteed! Nowhere, USA!
I will work tirelessly on the tennis as well as the huge smile, the hot GF and the big hairdo. Well, something tells me the hairdo just ain't gonna happen.

Yours!05, how did you know about my photographic memory?:)

Later guys.
All the best,
-slice.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah. But I need some advice. It would be best if I were to lose that Slam final, right? Or should I go ahead and try to win it?

I worked out twice today and hired a physio. Then I did an hour of drills with a couple of below average college players. Girls. Then I threw up, got a stretch and a massage, and designed my t-shirt logo: a guy sweating while sitting on his racquetbag, rowing a kayak down the Yarra with a sign that says Oz Open pre-qualies, 2007.

Just wanted to say thank for this thread. I think.

BaseLineBash
02-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I know of a player that thought his career was over, that he was washed up and done with in 1997. He was getting beat by everybody and had no confidence in himself anymore. He was a top 10 ranked player, but his ranking fell to 141 in the world. In early '98 he picked himself back up, started playing 3rd tier tennis tournaments( Challenger series for players ranked outside top 50). Through '98 he moved from 122 in the world to number 6 making it the largest jump into the top ten in tennis history. In '99 he won the FO, made it to the Wimby Final, Won the USO and then ended '99 with a number 1 in the world ranking. That's one hell of a comeback!

VGP
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I know of a player that thought his career was over, that he was washed up and done with in 1997. He was getting beat by everybody and had no confidence in himself anymore. He was a top 10 ranked player, but his ranking fell to 141 in the world. In early '98 he picked himself back up, started playing 3rd tier tennis tournaments( Challenger series for players ranked outside top 50). Through '98 he moved from 122 in the world to number 6 making it the largest jump into the top ten in tennis history. In '99 he won the FO, made it to the Wimby Final, Won the USO and then ended '99 with a number 1 in the world ranking. That's one hell of a comeback!

Yeah, but that dude didn't take three years off. Well, maybe he was a bit walkabout upstairs for almost three years.

chaognosis
02-06-2006, 10:29 PM
that was over 3 years ago - I didn't believe it then and neither do I now, he isn't going to get younger ;)

1. He played women and not men
2. The game wasn't as physical as it is nowadays - no way could a 50+ or 45+ for that matter (you hear me JMac :p ) get into a shape to play competitive against the top players again.

In exhibition matches and WTT, McEnroe has played and BEATEN both Mardy Fish and Mark Philippoussis. I agree, though, that McEnroe would probably not be able to compete day-in/day-out against the same guys. The key is stamina.

VGP
02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
JMac is still a good player. WTT is the perfect format for him.

Hingis showed in WTT that she still has it.

babbette
02-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Mark Philippoussis:lol:

vllockhart
02-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Is it just me or am I the only one shaking my head at the Hingis comeback? I am very happy for her and think that she is a super gifted player but doesn't it show how bad the WTA's depth really is where a player that has barely played in 3 years due to a 'foot' injury can comeback and beat players till the quarters. I don't think this would ever happen in the ATP, especially not at the beginning of their comeback. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I'm not shaking my head at all. Hingis is not some run of the mill player who retired and came back. She was number 1 for over 200 weeks. She was better than hundreds of players then, she's better than hundreds of players now. I don't see a problem with the depth of the WTA at all.

Rabbit
02-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I just perused this past season's results, and as far I as I saw, the only person Hingis lost to in singles was Meghan Shaughnessy. Hingis beat Navratilova and a few no-namers.

You are right! My bad. I watched Hingis play Gallovitis with Houston on high def and that went to a tiebreak, 5-4. I must have extrapolated her season from that one match. She did, in fact, kick arse in WTT.

Again, my mistake.