PDA

View Full Version : Stringing for Juniors

AndyC
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Anyone have any tips/guidelines for stringing for juniors?

About the only thing I can think of is not using too stiff a string. What about recommendations for string tension? I've been asked to restring a racket by one of the club coaches for a junior racket. I don't know how old the kid is either though I think between 10 and 12 as it's a 26 inch racket.

Thanks all.

Gaines Hillix
02-06-2006, 03:40 PM
This depends somewhat on the head size of the frame. The Babolat Pure Drive Junior has a 100" head, but is only 26" long. It has a tension range of 50-57 lbs. Check the frame to see if it has a tension range or head size marked on it. OS frames usually have higher tension ranges and are lower for smaller heads.

AndyC
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks Gaines. It does have a 100 square inch head but the tension marked on it is between 54 and 64 which struck me as rather high seeing as I tend to string my own at 55/56. Guess I'm just underestimating what kids can handle! Guess I'll just go with the lower end of the range.

LN_Dad
02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I guess that would depend on the kid's strength and ability. My 11yr old plays with an MFil300 strung with BB Rough @50lbs and he can generate good power for a kid that age. I always ask if the stiff strings hurt his arm and he said his arm is fine.

Stan
02-07-2006, 05:05 AM
My 11yr old plays with an MFil300 strung with BB Rough @50lbs and he can generate good power for a kid that age. I always ask if the stiff strings hurt his arm and he said his arm is fine.

Fine for now. Long term health also needs to be considered. I'd suggest getting the kid off these strings. No need for young and developing arm to be exposed to a string that harsh. At the very least hybrid it. The arm may not hurt today, but over the long haul problems are more likely to develop than not. An ounce of prevention...

LN_Dad
02-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Stan, I should take your advice and get him on something softer like Klip Excellerator. He wanted to try the BB rough because he thought they look cool on my rackets.

Midlife crisis
02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Stan, I should take your advice and get him on something softer like Klip Excellerator. He wanted to try the BB rough because he thought they look cool on my rackets.

My 12 year old is currently using a weighted, 10-ounce TiS5 with Dunlop Max Comfort. He hates the string because it moves all over the place and sees that my Signum Pro Poly Plasma never moves, but I too am taking the safe route and keeping him on a multi until he grows a bit more, even if it means restringing on a monthly basis for him. Kids nowadays swing HARD, and I'm convinced every little bit of softness helps.

Stan
02-07-2006, 10:30 AM
There are silver colored synthetic guts available for those selecting polys for their color.