PDA

View Full Version : Safin as a role model

vkartikv
02-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I met these kids (15-17 yr old) on the courts yesterday and they were all into Safin. He is their role model. While I absolutely love his game, his role as a model for youngsters is a little suspect. What do you guys think?

shsman2091
02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Probably not just because of the tennis, but what happens after the tennis ;) .

superman1
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think Safin is a bad guy. When you have that much talent but can never perform because you are always injured or never mentally sound, you're bound to crack a few racquets, or even 40 or 50. He's a funny guy, has a good perspective on life, and is apparently one of the most well liked guys on tour. Not a bad role model, not the best.

shsman2091
02-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't think Safin is a bad guy. When you have that much talent but can never perform because you are always injured or never mentally sound, you're bound to crack a few racquets, or even 40 or 50. He's a funny guy, has a good perspective on life, and is apparently one of the most well liked guys on tour. Not a bad role model, not the best.

That too.

arosen
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
He might not be your best model to follow if you want to maximize your tennis achivements, but if you care about having a happy fulfilling life with a whole lot of somethin'-somethin' on the side, he is perfect.

Shabazza
02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Agree! He's funny and smart (as you can see in his interviews), pretty laid-back and not as much a womanizer as the media would like him to be, imo ;) .
There are way worse players to choose as a role model!

erik-the-red
02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, Safin has a very strong and dynamic personality. He's definitely not "faceless."

When he plays well (e.g. def. Federer AO 05 SF or def. Sampras USO 00 F), he plays BEAUTIFULLY. He uses every shot in the book, cracks clean winners off of both sides, and can serve thirty aces to zero double faults.

When he plays poorly, man, you don't want to watch that...

Fee
02-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I met these kids (15-17 yr old) on the courts yesterday and they were all into Safin. He is their role model. While I absolutely love his game, his role as a model for youngsters is a little suspect. What do you guys think?

Ask them why they like him, it could be something as simple as his jumping 2 handed backhand and they may not be fully aware of the 'other stuff.' I agree that Safin is incredibly talented and plays awesome tennis when he feels like it, but I think his lack of discipline and the way he has squandered his natural gifts so far is not very admirable (and is quite frustrating!!!! argh, when I think of all the awesome battles he could have been having with Fed in the last few years, and what was he doing losing to Andy at IW 2 years ago and... and.. and....)

vkartikv
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Ask them why they like him, it could be something as simple as his jumping 2 handed backhand and they may not be fully aware of the 'other stuff.' I agree that Safin is incredibly talented and plays awesome tennis when he feels like it, but I think his lack of discipline and the way he has squandered his natural gifts so far is not very admirable (and is quite frustrating!!!! argh, when I think of all the awesome battles he could have been having with Fed in the last few years, and what was he doing losing to Andy at IW 2 years ago and... and.. and....)

That is exactly my point. While he is good guy, he is not the best person to idolise because he gives up at times and you can never confidently say that he is going to win, even if he plays someone ranked 100 spots below him.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 07:47 PM
They could do better. They could do a lot worse.
Who would you like for them to emulate?

Lee
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I wish I could kick it for a day or two with Marat just to get a taste of his carefree lifestlye, which is something to kill for

smittysan89
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Safin acctually is someone I look up to but more because we have so much in common. We both have similair frames, I am 6'4 and weigh around 205 lbs, I am 16 years old though, haha. We have similair strokes and in my opinion have similair personalities. I tend to have the same temper as Safin. I have read many articles about Safin but what really caught my attention was the GQ article on him. I dont know I think its that I believe we are so alike that I look at what he has done for guidance almost. Safin expects perfection every time he plays. If he has a great match he expects himself to play that well every match, and thats why he gets so frustrated. As others have said if I had to deal with injuries etc I would get angry as well.

I like the fact that Safin speaks his mind and doesnt really care what others think. But it isnt to the fact that he is a jerk about it, he just has a natural confidence about himself.

mr.fitch
02-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm 19 and I consider Safin to be one of my favorite players. He's the type of guy you want to cheer for and it's probably because of his attitude. There's something cool about a bad a s s. It's not like he can't back it up, haha.

kbg
02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Safin isn't the most respectful guy to umpires and when he tanks it's not the prettiest sight to see, but gamewise he's a pretty good player to emulate, doesn't really have too many holes.

Safin strikes me as a pretty decent human being, despite all the tempestuousness and the testiness. I remember when Ivan Ljubicic lost at Bercy last year, Safin was only supposed to shake his hand at the trophy ceremony but instead he gave Ivan this big comforting hug and asked "How are you?" Also when he beat Fed in Oz he was really respectful, didn't gloat, and then even tried to comfort Rog with a pat on the back afterwards.

go_nadal
02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I am 15 turning 16 and Safin is one of my favourite, if not favourite tennis player and role model. I just love they way he plays and shows his emotion.
:D

bcaz
02-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Safin's a great player but a poor role model ... unless you are a player ...

amadextor
02-07-2006, 03:51 AM
I wrote it before>>>Maybe Safin has a talent yet he is a HUMAN FAILURE, dissapointing and discouraging, not quite knowing what to do with himself and his talent....spoiled with early success in his career and never growing up as a person and human being.

I think to win tournaments on consistent basis, a PRO player has to have a character, which leads to true motivation for success... Look how much more intelligent RF is, how much more mature, humble and simple. Yet someone with distinct character, determination....

Safin doesn't have it and probably never will. So all of you who support him for his looks, braking rackets "dramatic performances", etc.... You are going to be dissapointed more often before Safin retires...

From early childhood he was spoiled kid, his mom was a head coach at Spartak tennis center in Moscow. Safin had always preferential treatment, get best sparring, best coaches, other kids have to wait to get to the courts or skip drills, so that Safin will get the best court, etc. From about 14 he used to have a little bottle of VOdka in his locker, lots of other revolting stuff. He has a low IQ, I doubt if he can read and write...

He is despised much more in Russia then around the world....

pound cat
02-07-2006, 04:09 AM
I think the 15-17 year olds who initially said Safin is their role model, were laughing at the answer they gave. These kids think Safin is the epitome of a cool tennis playing playboy and they'd like to be cool like they think he is. Little do they know that if he were really their role model they would be in a tennis academy slugging it out 6 hours a day for 5 years like he was doing at their age.

Anyone has had a career as successful as Safin has, has dealt with as many injuries as he has, and has as much talent as he has is a good role model, That he is good-loking, funny, attracts women has nothing to do with being a role model...luck of the draw which try as these kids might I very much doubt they will have.

pound cat
02-07-2006, 04:22 AM
I wrote it before>>>Maybe Safin has a talent yet he is a HUMAN FAILURE, dissapointing and discouraging, not quite knowing what to do with himself and his talent....spoiled with early success in his career and never growing up as a person and human being.

I think to win tournaments on consistent basis, a PRO player has to have a character, which leads to true motivation for success... Look how much more intelligent RF is, how much more mature, humble and simple. Yet someone with distinct character, determination....

Safin doesn't have it and probably never will. So all of you who support him for his looks, braking rackets "dramatic performances", etc.... You are going to be dissapointed more often before Safin retires...

From early childhood he was spoiled kid, his mom was a head coach at Spartak tennis center in Moscow. Safin had always preferential treatment, get best sparring, best coaches, other kids have to wait to get to the courts or skip drills, so that Safin will get the best court, etc. From about 14 he used to have a little bottle of VOdka in his locker, lots of other revolting stuff. He has a low IQ, I doubt if he can read and write...

Pffffff......it's obvious that you know absolutely nothing about Safin and you sound like a disaffected countryman to me.

smittysan89
02-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I think the 15-17 year olds who initially said Safin is their role model, were laughing at the answer they gave. These kids think Safin is the epitome of a cool tennis playing playboy and they'd like to be cool like they think he is. Little do they know that if he were really their role model they would be in a tennis academy slugging it out 6 hours a day for 5 years like he was doing at their age.

Anyone has had a career as successful as Safin has, has dealt with as many injuries as he has, and has as much talent as he has is a good role model, That he is good-loking, funny, attracts women has nothing to do with being a role model...luck of the draw which try as these kids might I very much doubt they will have.
Some dont have the oppurtunity to hit 6 hours a day im sure many would love to have that oppurtunity though. I somewhat agree with your statement though, but i dont think you should generalize like that. Just because someone is your role model doesnt mean you have the oppurtunities as he did, and doesnt mean you have to follow the exact steps that he has done. Everyone has their faults and obviously they arent going to follow his faults, nobody likes to choke or throw racquets but he isnt their role model for those reasons.

tenalyser
02-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Marat is a very talented player but Role Model? Just like Tony Soprano would say: you kidd'n may? The posters who agree with the fact that he is a great role model must be 14-17 girls who only follow him because of his looks or 14-17 boys who think breaking 5 rackets each match is cool and partying well there are important matches to play normal . I have nothing against Safin but never will I take him as my role model, players that inspire the youth in my opinion are Nadal, Federer and Agassi. If Safin would start concentrating more on his tennis rather than being a playboy than may be he would get more respect from the players on the tour and from the true tennis fans.

Shabazza
02-07-2006, 05:16 AM
For RF - Becker and Edberg were his role models - both are totally different characters and I certainly wouldn't take Becker as a good example for off-court life (Edberg yes) - but tennis wise both were great role models.
It depends on what you're looking for in a role model, his attitude towards the sport itself, or the way he lives his life, his off-court behavior. (still I would prefer Edberg over Becker in both ;) )
Back to Safin - It's true there might be better role models for the attitude towards tennis and working ethic (i.e. Federer), but for me a role model doesn't necessarily have to be perfect in both on- and off-court behavior, as long as the whole package leads to a likable person with the right attitude towards life itself, which is the case with Marat Safin, imo. I mean, despite his (quite long) injuries and his tendency to go off in a match - he still manages a fairly successful career including 2 GS. I don't know why he shouldn't be considered a role model by some youngsters!
True, there might be better ones, but there are a lot of worse players to choose as well.

Shabazza
02-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Marat is a very talented player but Role Model? Just like Tony Soprano would say: you kidd'n may? The posters who agree with the fact that he is a great role model must be 14-17 girls who only follow him because of his looks or 14-17 boys who think breaking 5 rackets each match is cool and partying well there are important matches to play normal . I have nothing against Safin but never will I take him as my role model, players that inspire the youth in my opinion are Nadal, Federer and Agassi. If Safin would start concentrating more on his tennis rather than being a playboy than may be he would get more respect from the players on the tour and from the true tennis fans.
I'm not 14-17 y old, nor am I a girl! ;)

warfreakbix
02-07-2006, 06:05 AM
For RF - Becker and Edberg were his role models - both are totally different characters and I certainly wouldn't take Becker as a good example for off-court life (Edberg yes) - but tennis wise both were great role models.
It depends on what you're looking for in a role model, his attitude towards the sport itself, or the way he lives his life, his off-court behavior. (still I would prefer Edberg over Becker in both ;) )
Back to Safin - It's true there might be better role models for the attitude towards tennis and working ethic (i.e. Federer), but for me a role model doesn't necessarily have to be perfect in both on- and off-court behavior, as long as the whole package leads to a likable person with the right attitude towards life itself, which is the case with Marat Safin, imo. I mean, despite his (quite long) injuries and his tendency to go off in a match - he still manages a fairly successful career including 2 GS. I don't know why he shouldn't be considered a role model by some youngsters!
True, there might be better ones, but there are a lot of worse players to choose as well.

Well said & ditto that there might be better role models but one thing I can say about Safin is that most of the players seems to like & respect him. In the grand scheme of things, he must be doing something right.

smittysan89
02-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not 14-17 y old, nor am I a girl! ;)

do you guys not read, all of you say the same thing you must be 14 years old and think he is awesome because he break racquets. There could not be a falser statement if you would take the chance to read what some of these people have had to say.

For some people their role model is their father, or their mother or their uncle. That doesnt mean that they want to end up just like them but just the fact that they envy some of the qualities that make them who they are.

DashaandSafin
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Hey buddy, you forgot your medication in the morning:rolleyes:

You obviously know nothing about Safin. Doubting he can read or write is just laughable. If you knew anything you would know he hated playing tennis and it was just like a chore to him. He was anything but spoiled, its freaking Russia. He has won 2 grand slams, blah blah i dont feel like listing his achivements. Best of all, he still has personality and is not burned out because he does not try on a consistent basis. What a good life amadextor, earning millions while winning a couple of important matches during the year, i doubt your life is anywhere near this glorious.

Jeez, Safin is the chillest guy on tour. He drinks, sleeps with women, partys and plays tennis (in that order). If i became friends with someone on tour, It would probably be Safin. Read his interviews, he gives the funniest interviews.

127mph
02-07-2006, 07:30 PM
he is the most physicaly gifted tennis player ever. 6'4 a lean 195, with mucsle, and strokes like that. he should be the one with 7 slams right now.

smittysan89
02-07-2006, 07:31 PM
he is the most physicaly gifted tennis player ever. 6'4 a lean 195, with mucsle, and strokes like that. he should be the one with 7 slams right now.
i totally agree with you

Shabazza
02-08-2006, 03:00 AM
do you guys not read, all of you say the same thing you must be 14 years old and think he is awesome because he break racquets. There could not be a falser statement if you would take the chance to read what some of these people have had to say.

For some people their role model is their father, or their mother or their uncle. That doesnt mean that they want to end up just like them but just the fact that they envy some of the qualities that make them who they are.
When and where did I ever say he's awesome for breaking rackets?? :confused: I didn't even say he was my role model to begin with, just that I can understand that some younbgsters think so, talking about reading skills :rolleyes:
Stop your generalisation and insult, just because you don't agree and read my post again!

I agree with the 2nd part, though.

Shabazza
02-08-2006, 03:04 AM
i totally agree with you
ah so you're mad that Safin doesn't fulfill his potential

pound cat
02-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Hmmm...I always thought people were in charge of their own life. Whether he fulfils his potential or not is his business...and it's not his business to make critics he has no personal knowledge of happy.

He just does his thing...good for him Davai Marat!

Galactus
02-08-2006, 05:31 AM
What kind of role-model is a guy who never plays tennis? :confused: :mrgreen:

pound cat
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
oops..half a post

pound cat
02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
What kind of role-model is a guy who never plays tennis? :confused: :mrgreen:

What do you mean? He has lost almost 2 full seasons of the last 5 due to injury...wrist, knee. That when he returned form the wrist injury he went from 84 to 4 by year end. He is planning ot retrurn hopefully at Marseilles, and has retained his coach throught his long and frustration healing process. This is an excellent example of bouncing back and determination for any young person to see. (And he has been in the top 10 5 out of the last 6 years).

Return_Ace
02-08-2006, 07:33 AM
well... i'm 16 and i regard safin to be one of my role models.... he's so kewl.

ACE of Hearts
02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
I dont know if he should be the one with the 7 slams!Either u have it or u dont and Safin doesnt have the mental side.Federer does.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Who cares if he has 7 slams. That's not the discussion here. No young person will choose Federer as a role model because it would be impossible to live up to anything he has done because underlying it is his unique talent. A good role model is someone who has overcome adversity (eg injury) &/or personal shortcomings, to achieve success. eg Safin.

Galactus
02-08-2006, 08:11 AM
What do you mean? He has lost almost 2 full seasons of the last 5 due to injury...wrist, knee. That when he returned form the wrist injury he went from 84 to 4 by year end. He is planning ot retrurn hopefully at Marseilles, and has retained his coach throught his long and frustration healing process. This is an excellent example of bouncing back and determination for any young person to see. (And he has been in the top 10 5 out of the last 6 years).
Ah-ha! Yes.

pianeon
02-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Safin is a great role model. He enjoys life and puts his profession in the appropriate place on his list of priorities.

bb47
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Safin is a great role model. He enjoys life and puts his profession in the appropriate place on his list of priorities.

Exactly. If I'd have a chance to choose a role model for my son I would prefer Safin to some sad bloke hell bent on bashing yellow balls, no matter how many GSs that guy would have won.
And mind you, kids are much more clever than we might think :)

127mph
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
shabanzza, ill pistol whip you if you talk like that again.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Exactly. If I'd have a chance to choose a role model for my son I would prefer Safin to some sad bloke hell bent on bashing yellow balls, no matter how many GSs that guy would have won.
And mind you, kids are much more clever than we might think :)

I just watched Safin's speech at his AO 05 win.Not a word about himself...lots of words about Hewitt and his family, his gf, realizing what a huge loss this was for Hewitt and Australia. Gentleman Safin. Perfect role model.