PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow & Pure Drive ?

LordRaceR
06-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Anybody had or have tennis elbow problems with PureDrive or PureDrive+ ? I am not using this racquet but I just wondered about this. Anybody?

:?

SELFMADESOUL
06-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Anybody had or have tennis elbow problems with PureDrive or PureDrive+ ? I am not using this racquet but I just wondered about this. Anybody?

:?

I just picked up the Pure Drive + a few days ago strung at 60lbs. I played a few sets with it so far and really like it. I did however notice a little soreness in my elbow...but I have been using the Yonex V-Con 17 which is really easy on the arm. So I think I just need to get used to it. I really like Babolat's racquets.

-Alex

TennisMD
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
I have played with the PD+ off and on for quite some time
nd believe it does add to elbow soreness. Every time I come back to it my elbow is a little sore. The Radical LM , the Vokl Tour 10 MP and the Warrior MP all hve been qiute nice on my elbow

barry
06-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I bought the equivalent racket (less expensive) Wilson Surge 5.1 and really like it. I string it at 53 pounds, which increases the sweet spot size, and is much easier on the arm and shoulder. I use Gosen Polylon 17 gauge, which is an incredible string. I tried it at 58 pounds, but could feel it in the arm and shoulder, so dropped the tension back.

Very impressive frame!

lonetango
06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Tennis elbow was the biggest issue I had with this racquet. I used the PD+ and I loved the thing. However, after many years of playing, I've never suffered from tennis elbow until I came upon the PD+. But then again, I've mainly used more flexy racquets and never tweeners (POG and TTG).

I did everything I could to make the PD+ work, more lead on the handle and also at the 3/9 positions. Still the same and it got extremely bad that I had to get cortisone shots and lay off for over a month. When my arm hurt, each time when I bring the racquet up to serve it felt like it was extremely long. I was going to try to use the standard version because I think even with the little extra length there's just too much leverage that can hurt the arm.

I now use the Pure Control Standard 100 and I love it. I changed the bumper guard to the 97 sq. in. version to make it more head light and added 3 grams of lead to the 3/9 positions and also 3 grams to the handle. I love the feel and balance of the racquet now.

kreative
06-11-2004, 09:43 AM
haven't had problems yet, pd std. strung w/ lux alu rough @ 56lbs.

sandro
06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I had no troubles using a PD for over a year in the past. Strung tight with stiff strings.

LordRaceR
06-11-2004, 12:29 PM
ok. thanx

chaus
06-13-2004, 10:57 AM
I've had just the opposite results than many of your responses. Since November I have been playing with the PD OS, having added lead tape at 3 and 9 as well as 6 & 12. Love the racquet, excellent power, control and good maneuverability. It's strung with VS Touch @ 55. During the last 3 weeks I've started playing outdoors on clay and on occasion use a POG OS. Each time I do this my arm aches the next day. I realize this is most likely do to the weight differential but again I have had no problems whatsoever with the PD OS.

Dranguyengon
06-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Mostly this racquet is just really stiff. I think all of Babolat's racquets are relatively stiff. RDC rating of at least 70.

WimblGooner
06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Play with pd+ and agree that the stiffness is a potential hazard. Just developed elbow problems probably from TiS6 as I switched to pd+. Was warned from another club player that the pd caused his tennis elbow. I do like this racket and therefore have recently tried to make it more elbow friendly by using softer strings nxt16, strung at lower tension 53 and adding lead tape to 3-9 position. Played a couple times since I've customised it and as you might guess, having a bit of a prob on controllability. But will perservier and more importantly haven't felt any adverse reaction to the arm. I still have decided that my next racket, be it sooner or later will be the cat 10, which I specifically picked out for it's elbow friendly qualities.

Marius_Hancu
02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Guys,

Perhaps this is too late for you,
but you might want to read the posting by Ted in:
Has anyone tried shock wave therapy for tennis elbow?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41122
He got TE from a PD+, had to go to surgery and other nasty things.

AndrewD
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I dont think the PD or PD+ cause tennis elbow but I do think if you are in any way prone to it then they are the sort of racquets (ultra stiff) that can more easily bring it on.Unfortunately, most of us have any idea whether we're more susceptible to arm/elbow pain until we experience it. At our club three guys use PD's. One strings at 58lbs, one at 60 and the other at 70lbs. You'd assume the guy who strings at 70lbs would have his elbow shatter but, to date, no problems whatsoever. However the guy stringing it at 60lbs has had to stop playing altogether because of pain in his wrist and elbow. Probably the best precaution you can take is to avoid frames with a stiffness rating above 65/66 and look at lower string tensions and more comfortable strings. You mightn't ever get it but 'better safe than sorry'.

Jaro
02-15-2005, 05:58 AM
I have played with the PD (strung at 27kg with Lux TiMo) for almost one year and decided to stop because of two main reasons:
- elbow/arm pain
- lack of control (woofer is not for me)