PDA

View Full Version : Rostagno: Anyone remember him?

Qualies Hitchhiker
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Who remembers Derrick Rostagno? Former number 13 player in the world and McEnroe's worst nightmare. Share stories if you have them.

slice bh compliment
02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
All court player. Nice mover with good volleys and a precise serve. Cool guy. Big hair. Permanent resident of the coolest names in tennis thread. Very bright. Played at Stanford. Drove a VW microbus (next best thing to hitchhiking to qualies), wore a puka shell necklace, held a matchpoint against Boris at the 1989 US open but lost it on a netcord pass.

VGP
02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I remember that match against Becker. That was a heartbreaker for him. That netcord was like Becker hit the ball against he edge of a fence. Rostagno attacked the net, putting pressure on Becker. He was totally set up for the pass and was there. The ball shot up. Rostagno reacted by flipping his racket up on the forehand side and just deflected the ball more. That sucked for him.

RealityPolice
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Don't forget the sucker-punch he got from Karel Novacek after beating Novacek at the French. (Not much of a punch, but still sour grapes.)

ohplease
02-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Who remembers Derrick Rostagno? Former number 13 player in the world and McEnroe's worst nightmare. Share stories if you have them.

I was at the Mercedes Benz in LA a few years ago when the organizers trotted out some veteran doubles. Rostangno played with some guy I don't remember against the one time nasty boys Davis/Pate. They all had cut their hair and looked like your standard young suburban dads. But they could still play. Might have been a couple dozen folks in the stands, tops. It was quiet enough that you could hear all the players joking around with one another.

Qualies Hitchhiker
02-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I also believe he is a lawyer now. I was just reading a thread of him beating J. McEnroe in the first round of Wimbledon, and beating him two more times before retiring. Pretty funny stuff. I'll pos the link when I have time.The guy also retired with a winning record over Sampras(2-1), also, pushed Becker and Lendl. Seems like one of those guys who only gets out of his bus for big matches. LOL.

tennisnj
02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
To follow up on what Qualies Hitchhiker said; Rostagno beat Sampras @ Wimbledon in the 2nd round the year after he beat Johnny Mac in the 1st round. 1990 vs. Johnny Mac & 1991 vs. Pete Sampras.
I also did some research & noticed he had decent W/L records vs. most of the top pros during his career, notching victories against Lendl, Becker, Connors, Mc Enroe & Wilander. No career victories vs. Agassi or Edberg though lol.

killer
02-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Yup, he's working as a real estate lawyer these days...great guy when he was on tour, and a load of fun to watch. He had all the shots, but just wasn't able to be consistent enough to win a ton of tournies.

MonkeyPox
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
He looked like a surfer and used to live in a van he would drive to tourneys. He was an iconoclast I guess you could say.

Rabbit
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
He desire to drive was reinforced by the fact that he missed a plane that went down and I believe everyone on it was lost. I also remember some of the commentators saying that Rosstango made his own investments and was one of the shrewdest investors around, he consistently made money.

vllockhart
02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Is Rostagno some type of pasta?

VGP
02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
No, it's pasta sauce.

slice bh compliment
02-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, and he never had a 'patch deal' with a sponsor, so he made a patch himself for his favorite Manhattan restaurant. Moreno's I think it was.
Good sense of humor.

TINYELVIS
02-10-2006, 07:30 AM
I remember seeing a picture in tennis magazine from the late 80's in NYC of Derrick Rostagno playing drums, Johnny Mac on guitar, Mats Wilander on Guitar and Yannick Noah

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Remember his match against Connors at Wimbledon on the old number one court. Thank God I am old enough to have seen that beautiful court.

RealityPolice
02-13-2006, 08:40 AM
His father is an orchestra conductor; Derrick was more than capable on a number of instruments.

Once, while playing at a tournament in Italy, he took a job as a motorcycle repairman.

Feinstein's Hard Courts has a nice section on Rostagno.

armand
02-15-2006, 12:26 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4833/1305/1600/Rostagno%20Sampras.jpg

Warriorroger
02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4833/1305/1600/Rostagno%20Sampras.jpg

Great pic. Now, I also remember the brand Derrick was playing with for racket: Rossignol, I think he was the only one who played with that.

35ft6
02-16-2006, 05:58 AM
He won the doubles at Ojai this past year.

tennisnj
02-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Early in his career, didn't Malivai Washington play w/Rossignol? And I'm almost positive Carlos Costa did as well.

slice bh compliment
02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Early in his career, didn't Malivai Washington play w/Rossignol? And I'm almost positive Carlos Costa did as well.

Mats Wilander played with a Rossignol as well....with the inverted bridge.
In the very early 80's, Jose Luis Clerc used a Rossignol wooden frame called the STRATO. It looked and felt a lot like a Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff.

fastdunn
02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
To follow up on what Qualies Hitchhiker said; Rostagno beat Sampras @ Wimbledon in the 2nd round the year after he beat Johnny Mac in the 1st round. 1990 vs. Johnny Mac & 1991 vs. Pete Sampras.
I also did some research & noticed he had decent W/L records vs. most of the top pros during his career, notching victories against Lendl, Becker, Connors, Mc Enroe & Wilander. No career victories vs. Agassi or Edberg though lol.

Yes he was a giant killer and a good looking dude too.
Top players hated drawing him early rounds...

Warriorroger
02-16-2006, 12:27 PM
thanks for all your knowlegde about Rossignol. :p

GS
02-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Derrick had 2 VW vans to drive to tournaments in, one on the East Coast and one on the West.
Years ago, I remember him playing a later round at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, when at a changeover, he started cutting a few strings on his stick to bring down its tension, since his arm was in pain and all his other sticks were strung the same. The umpire asked what he was doing, Derrick told him, and in the end, got thrown out of the match, since the rulings state that your strings have to have basic similar tension.

tennisnj
02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Might it have been in 89 vs. Anders Jarryd in the QFinals? I had come across some of Derrick's results & noticed he didn't finish that match. 62 32 is the final result listed. Jarryd went on to lose to Brad Gilbert in the finals.