PDA

View Full Version : Convincing display by great players

tenalyser
02-07-2006, 01:31 AM
What is the most convincing display of tennis you have ever seen between two great players where one player totally dominated the other player, for example the 1984 Wimbledon final between McEnroe and Connors or the 2004 Us open final between Federer and Hewitt. Also add why that was so convincing, cause there are matches that end with a score like 6-1 6-2 6-1 but that lack great tennis in them.

pero
02-07-2006, 02:47 AM
mac - villander on zagreb classics couple of years ago when mac crushed villander 6-0, 6-0. there were rumours that villander was high(marihuana) and barely could stand on court. he was kinda slow :mrgreen:

crosscourt
02-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Quite often, when people talk about the best player ever, I think that they forget how good Borg was on clay. Borg was the best clay court player that I ever saw. In the mid-seventies Borg played matches against Vilas, the second best clay court player of that time and a great clay-court player in his own right, in which Vilas went for long periods struggling to get a point off Borg. Borg's mastery was complete.

cc

pound cat
02-07-2006, 05:25 AM
"where one player totally dominated the other player"

USO 2000 Safin v. Sampras final.... Safin played perfect tennis while Sampras and the fans grew more and more stunned by Safin's beautiful game. Safin in 3.

Shabazza
02-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Quite often, when people talk about the best player ever, I think that they forget how good Borg was on clay. Borg was the best clay court player that I ever saw. In the mid-seventies Borg played matches against Vilas, the second best clay court player of that time and a great clay-court player in his own right, in which Vilas went for long periods struggling to get a point off Borg. Borg's mastery was complete.

cc
you're right, but nobody is talking about the best player ever here, just the best performance.
Safin vs Sampras 2000 USO, Fed vs Hewitt 2004 USO 1st and 3rd set and maybe
Sampras vs Agassi 1999 Wimby as well as Federer vs Roddick 2005 Wimby - all winners played outstanding tennis.

breakfast_of_champions
02-07-2006, 05:36 AM
connors over rosewall 6-1,6-0,6-1 at the us open and again, with similiar scores at wimbledon in 1974. of course, like connors in 84, rosewall was probably past his prime and/or not at his best that particular day.

better examples of two great players in there primes would be ferderer/hewitt 6-0,7-6,6-0 or hewitt/sampras 7-6,6-1,6-1 both at the us open. connors over borg 6-4,6-2,6-2 was also a dominating performance at the us open.

tenalyser
02-07-2006, 05:44 AM
"where one player totally dominated the other player"

USO 2000 Safin v. Sampras final.... Safin played perfect tennis while Sampras and the fans grew more and more stunned by Safin's beautiful game. Safin in 3.

I have that match on DVD, Sampras got totally outplayed this was the second time that I had seen a player dominate Sampras in almost every department (firs time was the 1992 Us open final against Edberg) Safin made 12 unforced errors and 37 winners during that match.

urban
02-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Connors was on both sides of spectacular performances. His wins over Rosewall are noted, but he lost big to Mac and Borg (and Curren) at Wimbledon, and was beaten once by Lendl 06 06 on Forest Hills clay in the mid80s. Vilas beat Gottfried (ok no great player) 60 63 60 at RG. Laver beat Rosewall in 1968 60 61 60 at Wembley and 46 60 60 at Los Angeles.

theace21
02-07-2006, 06:16 AM
I was thinking of the Conners vs Rosewall matches. He beat him at in the finals of the US Open and Wimbledon. Not sure of the scores but Rosewall probably didn't win over 8 games in those 6 sets...

crosscourt
02-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Some of these matchups -- Connors v Rosewall, Lendl v Connors -- are pitting players at the end of their careers against players at the height of their careers.

cc

urban
02-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Yes, crosscourt, that is right. And players with a relative weak serve like Rosewall and Connors (and Hewitt for that matter) are prone to heavy defeats, if they face a great returner (like themselves). When Rosewall lost 16,16, 46 to Connors in 1974 Wim f., he scored nevertheless 2 breaks of his own. Normally guys with a big serve lose by a smaller margin, if they do not disintegrate or tire out like Sampras vs. Hewitt at USO or Kafelnikov at RG.

Moose Malloy
02-07-2006, 08:29 AM
1991 US Open Final, Edberg def Courier 62,64,60

Recently saw the 1978 Borg-Vilas French Open Final. Truly remarkable performace. Every point was 10-20 ball rallies & Borg won easily. Vilas played as well as possible(hit some pretty sweet backhand overhead smashes with a wood racquet, but Borg could get everything back)
I've never seen someone so mentally focused on every point.

Not fair to bring up those Rosewall matches, the guy was 39 & no one expected him to get to those finals. And Connors was 23.

Rabbit
02-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Dang Moose, you beat me to it. The Edberg/Courier match was great because both guys finished the match with a "What happened?" look. It was great tennis by both players, Edberg was as on as you can get. I think that was the same US Open where he and Lendl exchanged behind the back shots.

omniexist
02-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Federer vs. Hewitt

erik-the-red
02-07-2006, 05:45 PM
My active recollection of finals dates back to Wimbledon 2004, though I have several championship matches from 1999.

In W 2004, Roddick was on FIRE in the beginning. I remember thinking, "How can he hit the ball so hard?" I also remember, "How can Federer return these?" There were two rain delays, and I believe Federer took full advantage of these to shift momentum and beat Roddick in four. Convinced me he had the 'stuff.'

In the USO 2004, Hewitt was hot coming in, winning two tournaments and not dropping a set en route to the final. Federer just crushed him. It's not like Hewitt didn't put up a fight; Federer just outmoved him and overpowered him like crazy. The championship point was unbelievable. IIRC, Federer shot a backhand down the line that Hewitt retrieved cross court, and Federer finished it with a DTL forehand. Unbelievable.

In W 2005, I saw the whole match on bad NBC reception, but that didn't detract from the obvious: Andy could not beat Roger that day, no way. He was being outaced, outmaneuvered, and overpowered.

So, yeah, these three Federer matches were some serious displays of grace and power.

jings
02-07-2006, 06:19 PM
The ones I recall Connors as been very central. Took Rosewall, the sentimental favourite in 74, to the cleaners in the final at Wimbledon and then another very one sided match at the US later that same summer. Connors then on the receiving end a couple of times. Firstly the following year in 75 at the US when he was screaming favourite to beat Ashe and Ashe just dinked and donked the ball to all parts of the court and frustrated the hell out of Connors for the first two sets, after which it evened up a little, but Connors roundly outplayed that day. I think it's the only time Ashe ever beat Connors but I could be wrong. Also when McEnroe just insulted him in the '84 Wimbledon final ... that was probably the most cringing victory I've seen. Then for anyone who has seen it you will never forget the Sampras Agassi wimbledon final in '99. The scoreline (3-4-5, easy to remember) doesn't look one sided but Sampras was untouchable that day - Agassi just stopping and staring on occaisions because whatever he did Sampras had something bigger and better.

galain
02-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Jings pipped me at the post - Sampras over Agassi in 99 was the most incredible display of hitting I've seen in a long time. Agassi was doing his best, but it was getting him nowhere.