PDA

View Full Version : Nadal feared injury would force him to quit

8PAQ
02-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Looks like he was really worried. Even cried many times. Also he might play more conservatively this year.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060207:MTFH28 904_2006-02-07_12-49-01_L07743605:1

norcal
02-07-2006, 06:31 AM
I hope that heals completely. I am really looking forward to a Fed/Nadal rivalry. Nadal gives Fed fits.

babbette
02-07-2006, 06:33 AM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:-(
Want him to get better soon:(

federerhoogenbandfan
02-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Poor Nadal. :(

Shabazza
02-07-2006, 06:55 AM
more economical play is the key word - let's see how he manages to do that without effecting his aggressive playstyle - I really want him to be injury free this year!

federerhoogenbandfan
02-07-2006, 06:59 AM
I dont want to see him lose his own unique style though. The running all out for evey ball like no other player, the enthusiasm and passion he has for every point, it would be sad to see him have to not play that way anymore.

pound cat
02-07-2006, 08:07 AM
When Bill Norris, head ATP trainer was asked what percentage of ATP players were injury-free, he answerered
0%.

Nadal must be terrified of what might happen when he starts to play his first match back.

Poor guy. I hope he is pain-free and healed completely when he comes back.

VictorS.
02-07-2006, 08:33 AM
I don't know how much we should read into this. Nadal is a young guy and has probably never really experienced any kind of serious injuries in his career. Therefore, it's only natural that he's a bit fearful in regards to his career prospects.

Nancy
02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Nadal had that same left foot injury in 2004. So that's why I was quite afraid about the issue of that same injury coming back last fall, after Madrid. It was serious since he was out of court for more than 3 months. I really do hope that he will have good results in Marseille. Even if he does not win, loosing in the 2nd or 3rd round would be awful for his moral. And most of all, if he goes far in this tournament, I hope he will not feel pain in his foot, because that would not be a could sign. The kind of injury he had was not a banal one. I wish him good luck !

Nancy (Montreal)

babbette
02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I thought you guys hated nadal:!! uumm I was misunformed:???:

VictorS.
02-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Oops.....my mistake. I forgot Nadal did experience a broken foot a few years ago. I take it back, his concerns are definitely warranted.

Fedubai
02-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Here's to Nadal fully healthy from this injury. Great kid.

legolas
02-07-2006, 12:23 PM
i hope he gets back in full shape

dozu
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
It's a shame that he is injured so bad but it was predictable with his grinding style. the longevity of Agassi proves that the most economical style is baseline offensive game, with control of the center of the court, at all times.

8PAQ
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought you guys hated nadal:!! uumm I was misunformed:???:

Just because we are Federer fans it doesn't mean we hate Nadal. It is pretty obvious that tennis is more exciting with Nadal around even if his style of game is not appealing to everyone.

PM_
02-07-2006, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2322006

I dunno. Maybe this is his way of saying sorry for not showing up at the AO.

arosen
02-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Whatever it is, its only a matter of short time before he gets reinjured. His game is all about physical effort. Too bad, he is lots of fun to watch and great for the sport.

Marius_Hancu
02-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Nadal:

"They have made new soles for my shoes and changed the supports for my
foot, and that seems to be working because I don't have the same kind
of pain as before."

Hm, this seems like plantar fasciitis to me, but haven't seen any clear diagnosis. If you remember, Fed had PF last year during the first half of the year.

This is curable, with good shoes and supports.

More difficult to treat would be his knee problems, hope they don't show up again.

VamosRafa
02-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Full interview, as translated by nou.amic. This has been a rough time for Rafa -- rougher than we thought:

From El Mundo Deportivo

Rafa Nadal: "I've cried a geat deal because of the injury"

"Everything goes through your mind, including that perhaps you might never play tennis again"

"My parents have been very patient with me and I'm really grateful for that"

Nadal admits that the injury made him more nervous than usual

Ángel Rigueira 07/02/06.- Rafa Nadal has spent four months without competing. During the final in Madrid, where he defeated Ljubicic after coming back from two sets down, he felt intense pain in his left foot and by the time he reached the changing rooms he could hardly stand on it. At the time, 23rd October, he thought that it was due to the tremendous effort he had made, but the problem lead to a long period out of the game, which will end on 13th February when he returns to the professional circuit at the ATP Marseille.

He could not take part in his first Masters Cup, he travelled to Shanghai in vain, he did not even make the trip this season to the Australian Open and he will miss the first round of the Davis Cup against Belarus, but worst of all was that for a considerable period of time the player had no idea what it was exactly that was producing the pain, the inflammation of the same foot he had broken in the spring of 2004 and which had kept him sidelined then for almost four months. Now that the worst is over, his principal wish is to keep free from injury. His "working hard every day, in every practice session" will take care of getting back his physical condition and his tennis.

Have you definitely put the injury behind you?
I feel a bit of pain after training but my foot no longer swells up after a practice session. I'm happy because they have detected the problem and have taken measures to solve it. I'm still not at 100% to compete, but I'm at a pretty good level.

You've had many medical tests and check ups. Is it now known exactly what the injury was?
(Laughs) It was an inflammation of all the joints that are beside the previous injury area. It was extremely painful when I ran. I've had new insoles made, my stance has been changed, and it seems to be working well because there is no longer inflammation of the joints and I don't feel so much pain.

Does it still worry you. Are you afraid it will return?
Yes, I'm afraid, but that's normal after the difficult moments I've had. When I train, I'm on the alert, and I suppose the fear won't go away until I've played a few tournaments.

Insoles and special shoes apart, any other important change to take care of your foot?
I've lost a bit of weight, not much though, but everything else is the same as before.

What went through your head while no solution was found? Did you fear for your career?
Everything goes through your mind, including that perhaps you might never play tennis again. I cried a lot at home, above all when I saw that I couldn't play, that the pain wouldn't go away. I'd stop playing for a few days,then try again and the pain was back again. I've really had a bad time. I cried a lot, which is good in certain situations. Now that I'm back training intensely I only think of improving, and I'm full of hope.

Your family must be wanting you to get back to playing, it's difficult to imagine you without tennis.
I'm not as active as on court, at home I'm much calmer, although it's true that I can't be doing nothing. My family, above all my parents have been very patient in these difficult times. Toni (his uncle and trainer) has also had a bad time, but it has been my parents who have experienced it close up, who have seen me more nervous than usual. I've had arguments with them that I wouldn't have had in normal circumstances. They have put up with me, they have helped me, and I'm very grateful to them for that.

When did you have the worse time, now or with the injury in 2004?
I don't know, when I compete I'll know. It was also a very difficult time in 2004, perhaps it was worse because I was just starting out on the circuit. This time I've missed a Grand Slam which might affect my end of year ranking, but I'll return to the tour still at nș2 in the world. Whereas in 2004, I went from being nș32, playing really well, to being nș70 on my return, which is complicated to deal with phsychologically.

Were you able to enjoy other things apart from tennis?
I was able to get my driver's license, which I had been keen to do. Being with my friends also helped me keep my mind off things, and I played golf. When you are injured you hardly have any free time. You dedicate the whole day to your injury. I went to the swimming pool in the morning, after that there was recuperation with Juanan Martorell (the physio who will travel with him) and in the afternoons physical preparation.

And what did those around you do to put the brake on your desire to play? You were really strongly tempted to go to Australia.
Yes I thought of going. I wasn't very sure about it, though they made me see that it couldn't be. They were partly right, and partly not. Perhaps I could have played, but certainly without doing well. I hadn't trained at a high enough level to be able to face a five set tournament, in such heat. It was also an unnecessary risk. It was decided that I shouldn't go and it was the correct decision.

Roger Federer won in Melbourne. What did you feel when you saw him crying desconsolately at the presentation of the trophies ceremony?
I also began to cry, I cried a lot. He really had to make an effort to win the tournament, he had to go through difficult moments. I know what it is to win a Grand Slam with all the pressure on you such as I had at Roland Garros. There's a sudden release of tension, you burst into tears and you can't control it, it happened to me in Paris and it happened to Roger in Melbourne. :D

Your big rivals like Hewitt and Roddick disappointed, however, the Cypriot Baghdatis appeared.
It turned out fine for me that Hewitt and company didn't do well, but they're bound to finish up at the top. There are many like Baghdatis pushing hard or emerging. There are also Monfils, Djkovic, who will shine in the end, Gasquet or Berdych. There are many good young players, there are always new ones appearing.

Were you also surprised by Baghdatis' explosion on to the scene?
Yes because he hadn't done anything great. He had shown that he was a good player in some match or another, but nothing more. In Australia, he played at a really high level, playing like that he has the chance of being up there at the top.

And where to you hope to be after the injury?
First and foremost, I hope, and I would like, to have no more pain, no more injuries. Starting from that, to end up in the top eight, to make the Masters, that's the great objective. It's more complicated because I've started late and I know that in the beginning I'll have problems in the tournaments.

So being nș1 is out?
After what I've been through, you can't set yourself such high objectives. The nș1 ranking is practically impossible, the best player in history (Federer) has it. The goal will be rather to maintain the nș2 spot, which will be difficult. Although most important of all is to keep on improving to be ready for when perhaps the moment arrives to attack the world nș1, but that's difficult.

The Marseille and Rotterdam indoor tournaments on fast surfaces and the Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami hardcourt tournaments are on your schedule. Are you prepared for things going badly given this beginning?
I'm aware that I'll suffer in the first two three or four matches. You have to look on the positive side, if I win one of those encounters that will be good, even if I lose but play at an acceptable level. In Marseille and Rotterdam, if you really want to know, I could even lose in the first round. After that, we'll see. Though, what I'm interested in is to try to arrive at the Masters Series in Indian Wells (he did not play in 2005) and Miami (finalist last year) in good physical condition and playing well. I have to humbly accept that it will be difficult at the beginning. If you think that everything is going to be easy, then it is much easier to end up disappointed. You need time to recover your best level.

Some people, Andre Agassi included, have taken advantage of your injury to comment that they had already warned that you were playing too many matches and that your tennis took too much out of you. What would you say to them?
I don't want to enter into any kind of polemics. When they say good things about me, I'm grateful, and when they don't, well I accept all criticism. Yes I will try to economise effort when I play, but each one has his own style of tennis and you can't change it.

You cried with impotence and uncertainty, you were moved by seeing Federer lift the Australian Open championship trophy. How many tears will you shed if you win the Roland Garros title again?
I'll cry after whatever tournament I win, the first one will be incredible. I've had a really bad time and it will be very moving.

How do you see the Davis Cup match in Belarus?
It will be very complicated, but Spain has a very competitive team and I believe in them. If I'm fit, I'll be at the captain's disposal for the next rounds. I love the Davis Cup.

Skppr05
02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
his injury totaly sux! gahhhhh! nadal is one of the most entertaining players i've seen in awhile. I hope he gets over his injury...is there any surgery available to cure his ailment?

Marius_Hancu
02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Thank you, VamosRafa, for the latest interview.

"joint inflammation in the foot" this might be tougher than PF.

Haven't heard too frequently about it lately, not in the foot.

I don't think things like that are operable. You just need to let it heal.

Shabazza
02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Nadal:

"They have made new soles for my shoes and changed the supports for my
foot, and that seems to be working because I don't have the same kind
of pain as before."

Hm, this seems like plantar fasciitis to me, but haven't seen any clear diagnosis. If you remember, Fed had PF last year during the first half of the year.

This is curable, with good shoes and supports.

More difficult to treat would be his knee problems, hope they don't show up again.
as long as it isn't too serious it is curable but if it gets really worse it can't be healed by an operation...the only way is rest and precaution - that's why I can understand his decision for not playing AO (the surface isn't easy on the feet)
furthermore, with the way he is playing he stress his feet way to much, as a worst case scenario it could become chronic, which means his career would be practical over - he needs to do some adjustment to his playstyle imo, but it's difficult...

VamosRafa
02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
BTW, Marius, I think you and a couple other folks here suggested that we update the VR page. We are working on that, and it's been tons of fun. Still a work in progress, but we are saving articles to the new format at the moment.

Here's a sample page, with the interview posted above:

http://www.vamosrafael.com/5078/with_flash/html/article1.html

Polaris
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Seems like a very balanced interview for someone that young. The guy has a good head on his shoulders.

Phil
02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Susan - What did I TELL you about the injuries, and yet you poo pooed me. ANYONE with that type of style is going to rip their body to shred, and Nadal, being heavier than most tennis players, puts himself at even more at risk.

I hope he comes back 100% because I want to see him challenge Federer (and ultimately LOSE in doing so), but if he has to adjust his breakneck get-every-ball style, which was, really, his bread and butter, then he's done for it-at least as a top 5 player. And his 2005 performance will be a minor footnote in tennis history.

Docalex007
02-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Susan - What did I TELL you about the injuries, and yet you poo pooed me. ANYONE with that type of style is going to rip their body to shred, and Nadal, being heavier than most tennis players, puts himself at even more at risk.

I hope he comes back 100% because I want to see him challenge Federer (and ultimately LOSE in doing so), but if he has to adjust his breakneck get-every-ball style, which was, really, his bread and butter, then he's done for it-at least as a top 5 player. And his 2005 performance will be a minor footnote in tennis history.

Could be. I hope you're wrong.

jukka1970
02-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Let's hope the changes made on the shoe (sneaker) soles helps to take care of the pain problem. Science has made a lot of progress in the area of sports fitness. I'm hoping we get Nadal back soon, and that all is ok.

John

VamosRafa
02-08-2006, 03:41 AM

Yes, but you said he'd never win a hardcourt event, and even had some doubts about whether he'd dominate on clay. And you poo poed me when I said otherwise.

So we shall see. But I think this is not all she wrote re Rafa Nadal. ;-)

arnz
02-08-2006, 05:09 AM
That is really unlucky of Nadal to suffer foot injuries. There are other fast players that dont seem to get injured that way, I'm thinking of Chang and Hewitt, and they are (was for Chang) hardcourt players.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Missing Australia and spotting Roger a 200 point lead right away probably kills any chance Nadal had to be 1 this year, it just wont happen for sure now IMO. So best to focus on having the best year possable and staying 2 as he said, but most important staying healthy. If he has a more consistent year in the slams than last year, and does so well again in Masters events, and plays the year-end Masters, he could set himself up to challenge for 1 possably next year.

babbette
02-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I hope he comes back 100% because I want to see him challenge Federer (and ultimately LOSE in doing so),

Aww that is the sweetest thing i've ever heard!!
It's moving that he cried when he saw Roger cry!! While their fans are going at it, they seem to have respect and some kind of friendship between them!!

Moose Malloy
02-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Aww that is the sweetest thing i've ever heard!!
It's moving that he cried when he saw Roger cry!! While their fans are going at it, they seem to have respect and some kind of friendship between them!!

What a sensitive lot these tennis players. Always crying. Man, do I miss Connors & McEnroe.

norcal
02-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Roger Federer won in Melbourne. What did you feel when you saw him crying desconsolately at the presentation of the trophies ceremony?
I also began to cry, I cried a lot. He really had to make an effort to win the tournament, he had to go through difficult moments. I know what it is to win a Grand Slam with all the pressure on you such as I had at Roland Garros. There's a sudden release of tension, you burst into tears and you can't control it, it happened to me in Paris and it happened to Roger in Melbourne.

I started crying just reading that.

stalliondan
02-08-2006, 09:00 AM
to play like nadal does with as far as he was going in tournies even on the hard courts those types of injuries are always going to happen. I can bet you anything this foot thing will go away but because of the new soles he will get hurt in his knees, back or ankle. Trust me. You can't change the bodies mechanics that easily without getting hurt again.

ACE of Hearts
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
It will be interesting too see, especially on hardcourts.I hope this injury doesnt affect his play:confused: , i think Nadal is good for the game.

datsveryinterestin
02-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Seeing the tribulations of Nadal and hopefully his triumph over them makes him much more interesting to follow, imo.
I do hope he limits his schedule so he can play all the Masters series, and still accumulate enough points for his top 8 ranking.

His athleticism was great to watch last year, but hopefully he will balance that with maturity... He has to learn about the importance of warming up and taking care of his body more... which he has always taken for granted.

But the game is better with someone playing his style to be in the draw for Federer to have to think about possibly having to play. I am sure there are many others he would prefer to play, even on a hardcourt.

So, if anything, this injury has wisened him to the demands of the pro level of the sport and gained him some fans for how openly and honestly he dealt with it. vamos raffy!

LeftyServe
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Some time ago, while playing college tennis, I suffered a similar injury, essentially strained (not even torn) ligaments in the foot. The only thing, and I mean only thing, that enabled it to heal completely was rest. For an injury that seemed so minor, it was incredibly frustrating because although I could walk without pain or barely even any discomfort, any kind of moderately explosive movement that placed stress on the foot was excruciatingly painful. The problem was knowing when the injury had healed enough to even try to play again. It took me about 8 months to be fully healed, and for the next two years the mental aspect of feeling confident that I wouldn't re-injure the foot was a major factor. I'm rooting for you Nadal.

Shabazza
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Seeing the tribulations of Nadal and hopefully his triumph over them makes him much more interesting to follow, imo.
I do hope he limits his schedule so he can play all the Masters series, and still accumulate enough points for his top 8 ranking.

His athleticism was great to watch last year, but hopefully he will balance that with maturity... He has to learn about the importance of warming up and taking care of his body more... which he has always taken for granted.

But the game is better with someone playing his style to be in the draw for Federer to have to think about possibly having to play. I am sure there are many others he would prefer to play, even on a hardcourt.

So, if anything, this injury has wisened him to the demands of the pro level of the sport and gained him some fans for how openly and honestly he dealt with it. vamos raffy!
I second that!

156MPHserve
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I really fear for the longetivity of Nadal's career. I love his game, he's also so charismatic and mentally tough on the court. But I'm afraid he won't be able to grind too long before injuries take over his career.

xfactor82
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Nadal will be wearing a kilt this year at the French Open?