PDA

View Full Version : New coach for Roddick

grimmbomb21
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Has anyone else seen on andyroddick.com that andy dumped goldfine as his official coach and is having his brother take over?

Anyway, read the article and let the opinions start.:twisted:

Bones08
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I've always hear that he was supposed to be the Tennis Star. We'll have 2 see, I still think no one will do what Brad did.

elauiio
02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
he dumped gilbert when he lost only to rf, now he dumped this one because he lost to most of the guys, next time................
a rod is the "I won" but "we lost" guy.
he certainly didn't work hard enough on the holesss of his game, approach, volley, backhand, footwork.............

jings
02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So it should work the other way around too. Whoever Andy goes to now he must be clear in his head what game he's trying to play. If it's a return to the all out high energy high aggression game of a couple of years ago then you'd wonder why he doesn't go back to Brad - they seemed well suited.

Max G.
02-07-2006, 09:01 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So it should work the other way around too. Whoever Andy goes to now he must be clear in his head what game he's trying to play. If it's a return to the all out high energy high aggression game of a couple of years ago then you'd wonder why he doesn't go back to Brad - they seemed well suited.

Didn't he not give a reason for breaking up with Brad in the first place?

Maybe they just didn't get along - after all, putting up with Brad year-round is quite a task in itself ;)

legolas
02-07-2006, 09:14 PM
his brother? lol

Fee
02-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Has anyone else seen on andyroddick.com that andy dumped goldfine as his official coach and is having his brother take over?

Anyway, read the article and let the opinions start.:twisted:

You regularly read AR.com? What's your username?

VGP
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Perhaps this is the only coach/player relationship that will satisfy the Roddick camp.

It's easy to blame others when things aren't going well. This time it's family.

grimmbomb21
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
You regularly read AR.com? What's your username?

grimmbomb...I think. And yes, I go to Safin and Roddicks websites almost every day......Sad, ain't it?;)

jings
02-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Not sure Max G - from memory they were both very tight lipped about the whole thing and just wanted to move on. No idea if they did fall out but from the results and the way they seemed to get on I got the impression it was a team that worked. Andy might be able to add bits to his game but his basic wiring means he's going to play close to how he has played over the years. To date Brad is the one who has helped Andy to the best results with that game ... whether they get back together I've no idea, but there'll be some about these parts who will. I wish A-Rod well, it would fun to see him going deeper at the slams. Arguably grass is his best surface ... how odd does that sound?

tennisjunkiela
02-07-2006, 09:32 PM

i thought this was a joke when i first read it but, i can't believe that roddick i having his brother take over as his coach???

roddick just needs to eat crow, admit he made a mistake, and go beg brad gilbert (as annoying and opinionated as he may be) to be his coach again!!! their results together speak for themselves. roddick's results without gilbert also speak for themselves unfortunately. in history, noone will care whether they got along as long as they acheive results!

i like roddick and i truly hope things work out for him under his brother's tutelage (his brother does seem qualified) but it seems to me that he is reaching for straws - i hope i am wrong!!

Fee
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
grimmbomb...I think. And yes, I go to Safin and Roddicks websites almost every day......Sad, ain't it?;)

No, its not sad. You're a devoted tennis fan. :)

BaseLineBash
02-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I ran across this article of interest.
http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_roddick_011106.html

VGP
02-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Interesting article.

Roddick should really pattern his game on Agassi's. With his serve, it should really set up easy second shots. He needs to step up to the baseline and control play. He lets the other guys push him around.

As to his image, well it seems he's become too country club.

devila
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Gilbert's an overrated, conniving little weasel. He failed to improve low ranked players and he certainly did very little for Roddick. He treated Roddick like a brainless, 155 mph serving, slow moving redneck. Brad was shocked that he couldn't con Roddick into paying him $millions more in 2005.

You wouldn't criticize much about good coaches like Paul Annacone, Lansdorf, Nadal's uncle and Sampras' coach.

After the US Open title, Roddick DIDN'T work on court positioning and netgame on hardcourt, grass and EXPECIALLY clay. With the recent coaches, Roddick did nothing. He was a little lucky to win 6 titles when the top players were injured and were way off form in 2003.

nn
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
something of this coming after his lost in US and AUS open

nn
02-07-2006, 10:46 PM
his brother was with in last year wim.. and he made it to final.. so it was started way back...

Noelle
02-07-2006, 10:50 PM
What? Nobody's even bothered to post the link to the AndyRoddick.com article?

http://www.andyroddick.com/team-roddick-update/
After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach. Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy’s growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick’s home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean’s new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean’s continued guidance.

Starting this weekend at the Davis Cup match in La Jolla, California, John Roddick will accompany Andy as his official coach. No stranger to the tennis circuit, John was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002 John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors.

In addition to a strong tennis background, John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family and having John as a traveling coach offers the ideal combination of brother and mentor. Andy’s strong emphasis on family already extends to his professional relationships. He has achieved great success working with those close to kin. Parents, Blanche and Jerry, are the Chairmen of the Andy Roddick Foundation and sister in law Ginger is Andy’s publicist.

Ar.com extends a huge welcome to John and we look forward to hearing from him throughout the season. As always, check back to ar.com for news on Team Roddick.

Shaolin
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I wonder how long it will be until he fires his brother...

slice bh compliment
02-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Re: Brad and Andy
... - from memory they were both very tight lipped about the whole thing and just wanted to move on. ... how odd does that sound?

Wow! BRAD GILBERT was tight lipped about something?

Kidding. Know what you mean. He was in damage control mode the moment the story broke.

Well, hopefully AR finds what he's looking for.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 05:38 AM
That could be a while as I get the feeling he has no idea what he's looking for or what it is that will improve his game. He needs someone he respects to say somehting to him at a receptive moment...a timely conversation.

Marius_Hancu
02-08-2006, 05:45 AM
That could be a while as I get the feeling he has no idea what he's looking for or what it is that will improve his game. He needs someone he respects to say somehting to him at a receptive moment...a timely conversation.

I think you're right. He's digging deep in the trenches now.

Wilander (or other good European) might bring a new perspective.
He's too much of an icon in North America, coaches are probably afraid to deal with him level.

whistleway
02-08-2006, 05:45 AM
They have retained goldfine as a consultant. I think they are waiting for AA to retire to get his coach.

Marius_Hancu
02-08-2006, 05:47 AM
They have retained goldfine as a consultant. I think they are waiting for AA to retire to get his coach.

That would be a good move too.

Rabbit
02-08-2006, 06:36 AM
I think Roddick was on the right road with Gilbert. He certainly posted his best results with that combo.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Is this some sort of joke? Talk about a sign of desperation. :rolleyes:
Anyway whatever Roddick tries it wont stop his free fall. He has been passed by by both Federer and Nadal, he wont beat either of these two guys agian, except Nadal on grass, and alot of younger guys are catching up and will soon pass him by. He will be a top 10 player a long time, with a shot at top 5, but that is it. He could win a Wimbledon, and another U.S Open before he retires if he avoids the big guns, but that is the best he can hope for.

Marius_Hancu
02-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Is this some sort of joke? Talk about a sign of desperation. :rolleyes:
Anyway whatever Roddick tries it wont stop his free fall. He has been passed by by both Federer and Nadal, he wont beat either of these two guys agian, except Nadal on grass, and alot of younger guys are catching up and will soon pass him by. He will be a top 10 player a long time, with a shot at top 5, but that is it. He could win a Wimbledon, and another U.S Open before he retires if he avoids the big guns, but that is the best he can hope for.

wouldn't mind a free fall including a Wimby ...

NoBadMojo
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Interesting article.

Roddick should really pattern his game on Agassi's. With his serve, it should really set up easy second shots. He needs to step up to the baseline and control play. He lets the other guys push him around.

As to his image, well it seems he's become too country club.

He cant pattern his game on Agassi's..he doesnt have the keen hand/eye, cant hit it on the rise, is slower than AA, etc etc. It's one thing to tell someone to play a certain style, but means nothing when they dont have the capacity to play in that style. Roddick is a big lumbering guy and is limited in the ways he can play T. I think his ame peaked a couple years ago and now he is just hanging on

Also many seem to overrate the value of a coach. The player makes himself a better player and the coach doesnt. Sometimes a coach can even impede the development of a player if the wrong coach

Moose Malloy
02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_roddick_011106.html

I love this:

"What hasn't been said is, even if Roddick had made a nice run in New York and the campaign hadn't evolved into a joke, the commercials still would have been a head-scratcher. In the commercial, Roddick awkwardly clubs forehands and backhands into the bottom of the net. He comes across as uncoordinated and un-athletic.

Can you remember a commercial where Kobe Bryant or LeBron James foolishly brick jump shots or back-rim slam dunks, the equivalent of this commercial? Can you recall an ad where Derek Jeter or Albert Pujols clumsily swing and whiff at the plate? Can you think of any advertisement where the athlete was made to look so bad in the sport that's their profession?"

That's because he really is that uncoordinated & unathletic, lol

Fee
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Oddly, the story that was posted on AR.com last night has disappeared from the website.

splink779
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
What he should do is hire a REAL COACH!!! BG was his first bigtime coach, (not saying he should go back) and it worked great while it lasted. Remember not only did he help Roddick dominate the 03 hard court season, but he helped him get to the point where he was playing brilliantly in the finals of wimbledon 2004.

He should go for some bigger names, more reputable coaches. Hell, Nick Bolliteri (although I detest him) could help him a ton. Safin had the right idea, he hired Fed's old coach and is quite competitive against Roger nowadays.

Andy, wake up and take this seriously.

Fee
02-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Good post Splink. I just don't know what to think of this coaching change. Very curious to see him in San Jose, if he can defend his title with Hewitt and Agassi there.

roddick_rulz
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
he's trying to find his mojo again. It's a good start!

Moose Malloy
02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
He should go for some bigger names, more reputable coaches. Hell, Nick Bolliteri (although I detest him) could help him a ton. Safin had the right idea, he hired Fed's old coach and is quite competitive against Roger nowadays.

You guys really place too much importance on coaches in pro tennis. They can only take you so far(& really don't do much, you should read Gimelstob's blog to see how much of a joke coaching on the tour is)

Can you even name the coaches of the the top 10 players? Who coaches Nalbandian, Coria, Ljubicic, Gaudio, Ferrero, Nadal(his uncle, right?)? Are they "big name coaches?" Do they all have pro level experience? I remember that a fat smoker coached Corretja. And the fat dude that coached Kafelninov (or Medvedev?) And these guys had pretty good careers.

Would you even know who Peter Lundgren was, if he wasn't Federer's former coach? Is he just a big name now because he coached Federer?
I get the sense that outside of Brad Gilbert (who happens to be a commentator for espn & one the biggest self promoters in tennis)& a few other names, most on these boards couldn't name more than 5 reputable pro coaches, tops. And yet everyone's an expert on who would help Roddick.
Please tell me who are all these real coaches. Are they the guys that coached McEnroe, Kuerten, Wilander, Korda, Bruguera, Stich? Cause I really don't remember who did.

Cfidave
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
The real problem here is not the coach (s). Andy is as good as he is going to get, for the most part. He is not the world class athelete, in terms of shear talent, that many of the other top pros seem to be. He has world class tennis ability, but that is not enough in todays mens game, to remain at or near the top. I can't see how any fundimental improvement in his game will help significantly. A very good example of this was the Bagdatis match. Marcus is a far better athelete, given somewhat even tennis skills, the better athelete will usually win. You can tell Andy he needs a better return of serve, better backhand, etc., but it won't help if he can't actually see the ball better, move quicker, have perfect hand-eye coordination, etc. Standing way back on the baseline is a tactic used to gain time, to catch up to the ball, he simply can not play on or near the baseline like Marcos did because he is not capable of executing consistently wihout the extra time. No doubt he will hang in the top 10-15, but top 5 by the end of 2006 is unlikely.

Marius_Hancu
02-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Oddly, the story that was posted on AR.com last night has disappeared from the website.

right. from curious to curiouser.

FormerPro
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Rodick is not that good and has a long way to go and develop. His ego is his enemy but he should forget that, get down on his knees and pray to Gilbert that he saves his career. However, that wont happen and I think we have already seen the best of Rodick.

slice bh compliment
02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
You guys really place too much importance on coaches in pro tennis. They can only take you so far(& really don't do much, you should read Gimelstob's blog to see how much of a joke coaching on the tour is)

Can you even name the coaches of the the top 10 players? Who coaches Nalbandian, Coria, Ljubicic, Gaudio, Ferrero, Nadal(his uncle, right?)? Are they "big name coaches?" Do they all have pro level experience? I remember that a fat smoker coached Corretja. And the fat dude that coached Kafelninov (or Medvedev?) And these guys had pretty good careers.

Would you even know who Peter Lundgren was, if he wasn't Federer's former coach? Is he just a big name now because he coached Federer?
I get the sense that outside of Brad Gilbert (who happens to be a commentator for espn & one the biggest self promoters in tennis)& a few other names, most on these boards couldn't name more than 5 reputable pro coaches, tops. And yet everyone's an expert on who would help Roddick.
Please tell me who are all these real coaches. Are they the guys that coached McEnroe, Kuerten, Wilander, Korda, Bruguera, Stich? Cause I really don't remember who did.

Yeah, good call -- I have read Gimel's Blog.
However,
Javier Duarte (nicknamed DuDu) was the fat smoker who took care of AJ Corretja. The guy was not just a smokestack, but also a good player and a brilliant tactician. So let's not come down too hard on him just 'cause you had not heard of him or that he has not got a big name in North America.
Peter Lundgren was a very strong professional player from Sweden. He has played thrilling matches against the likes of Ivan Lendl. He is considered a 'name' coach on any continent.

Moose Malloy
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Javier Duarte (nicknamed DuDu) was the fat smoker who took care of AJ Corretja. The guy was not just a smokestack, but also a good player and a brilliant tactician. So let's not come down too hard on him just 'cause you had not heard of him or that he has not got a big name in North America.
Peter Lundgren was a very strong professional player from Sweden. He has played thrilling matches against the likes of Ivan Lendl. He is considered a 'name' coach on any continent.

Yeah, I know who Lundgren is. I remember him beating Cash at a night match at the Open one year. Considering the age of the majority of the posters here, its safe to say most had no idea who Lundgren was before he started coaching Fed.

Good point on Duarte(did he really play on tour?), which kinda proves my point. Just because you're not a "name," doesn't mean you can't do a decent job. Gilbert & Bolliteri are celebrities, not just coaches. John Roddick may be just as good a coach for Roddick as they were. Chang's brother seemed to do a pretty good job.

slice bh compliment
02-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey Moose,
I do not know if Javier Duarte actually played the Slams. I am guessing he played the qualies of everything, though, and lots of smaller events all over Europe. I only knew him through a guy I used to hit with who played the circuit during the last days of disco and the early days of new wave. He remembers DuDu fondly. Cool guy. I saw him feed a few at Indian Wells the year Corretja won it, and also at the recent US vs Spain DC tie. Truly great feel. Short, choppy strokes (at least for a Spaniard). But then again, he is from another era....and he's a coach with a box of balls.

Count Grishnackh
02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
The real problem here is not the coach (s). Andy is as good as he is going to get, for the most part. He is not the world class athelete, in terms of shear talent, that many of the other top pros seem to be. He has world class tennis ability, but that is not enough in todays mens game, to remain at or near the top. I can't see how any fundimental improvement in his game will help significantly. A very good example of this was the Bagdatis match. Marcus is a far better athelete, given somewhat even tennis skills, the better athelete will usually win. You can tell Andy he needs a better return of serve, better backhand, etc., but it won't help if he can't actually see the ball better, move quicker, have perfect hand-eye coordination, etc. Standing way back on the baseline is a tactic used to gain time, to catch up to the ball, he simply can not play on or near the baseline like Marcos did because he is not capable of executing consistently wihout the extra time. No doubt he will hang in the top 10-15, but top 5 by the end of 2006 is unlikely.

I agree with everything except for the not being in the top 5 by the end of 2006. Federer and Nadal will take up so many of the points that Roddick will still be in the top 5 by year's end. Assuming Hewitt goes in the direction of 2003 (at least from what I'm seeing so far), Safin is still unpredictable and Agassi won't play enough events to get back into the top 5 unless he wins either Wimby or the US Open Roddick is still top 5. You take away Hewitt, Safin, Agassi and you don't have guys that are consistently good enough to remain top 5 (except Nalbandian), please don't mention clay court specialists (Coria, Gaudio, etc.). The jury is still out on Baghdatis, Gasquet, Monfils, Murray and so on. These can play ball but are they ready to set up shop in the top 5 in 2006? Blake and Ginepri are not top 5 material, sure both had nice summer runs last year but both didn't make it that far in any other slam appearance before or since.

West Coast Ace
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Two words: Richard Williams!

Way to go, Andy. You've id'd the problem and have taken corrective action. Goldfine completely let you down against Big Daddy. It was obvious to all of us watching the match. I saw him come out of the stands and show you how far behind the baseline to stand. And he's world renowned for telling his pupils "pros don't need a return of serve and a backhand?"

devila
02-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Ginepri looked great at Indianapolis because as soon as Roddick received a horrendous call and gave excuses ("I wasn't practicing much." "Ginepri beat everyone easily!"), he decided to designate Ginepri the hero, and champion. Roddick enjoys choking because tennis isn't a serious job to him. Nothing new. I don't think he would read any logical forum posts.

Keifers
02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Moose Malloy and others make a good case that too much is attributed to the coach by some fans and analysts. While I agree with that in general, I think Gilbert's positive influence on Roddick was exceptional.

I remember being surprised and impressed by the new maturity and match toughness exhibited by AR after he hired BG. This was a dramatic improvement in a relatively short time and, of course, we know the results they achieved -- very quickly.

And we know the dropoff in results and maturity of play that occurred after they parted ways.

Keifers
02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
What? Nobody's even bothered to post the link to the AndyRoddick.com article?

http://www.andyroddick.com/team-roddick-update/
After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach. Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy’s growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick’s home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean’s new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean’s continued guidance.

Starting this weekend at the Davis Cup match in La Jolla, California, John Roddick will accompany Andy as his official coach. No stranger to the tennis circuit, John was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002 John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors.

In addition to a strong tennis background, John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family and having John as a traveling coach offers the ideal combination of brother and mentor. Andy’s strong emphasis on family already extends to his professional relationships. He has achieved great success working with those close to kin. Parents, Blanche and Jerry, are the Chairmen of the Andy Roddick Foundation and sister in law Ginger is Andy’s publicist.

Ar.com extends a huge welcome to John and we look forward to hearing from him throughout the season. As always, check back to ar.com for news on Team Roddick.
Imo, this article/announcement shows some flawed thinking. If the author is sincere in writing, "... John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family ..." (and not just being diplomatic or nice), Team Roddick is missing the major contribution BG made to AR's tennis, namely, providing Roddick with a very specific game plan going into each match -- tailored to whoever the opponent was. BG had some way of really imprinting the game plan onto AR's brain, and it worked.

Andy needs brother John to do something very similar for him. Drive and motivation and fighting spirit are necessary but not sufficient. Andy sorely needs a coach who will scout opponents and develop winning game plans with him and make sure they stick in his mind when he's in the heat of battle.

I hope John can make a real difference. Would be great to see.

grimmbomb21
02-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Moose Malloy and others make a good case that too much is attributed to the coach by some fans and analysts. While I agree with that in general, I think Gilbert's positive influence on Roddick was exceptional.

I remember being surprised and impressed by the new maturity and match toughness exhibited by AR after he hired BG. This was a dramatic improvement in a relatively short time and, of course, we know the results they achieved -- very quickly.

And we know the dropoff in results and maturity of play that occurred after they parted ways.

I agree. For the most part he didn't complain about line calls because he was really focused on the task at hand. Now it seems like he gets a call he "thinks" was wrong, and he acts like, "Why are you doing this to me?? Do you know who I am??"

It really pains me to watch it, actually. It just seems more like he is just going through the motions when he is on the court. But you know that's not true, or else he wouldn't be seeking help from so many different people.

I call it, "The Fed Effect".;)

Roddick and Hewitt both have(had) games that could hang with anybody. But when both former number ones realize their games won't cut it against the new #1, they start going outside their comfort zone. Then everything gets shot straight to hell!!

Noelle
02-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Imo, this article/announcement shows some flawed thinking. If the author is sincere in writing, "... John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family ..." (and not just being diplomatic or nice), Team Roddick is missing the major contribution BG made to AR's tennis, namely, providing Roddick with a very specific game plan going into each match -- tailored to whoever the opponent was. BG had some way of really imprinting the game plan onto AR's brain, and it worked.
BG is like, soooo two years ago. :p I'm kidding; I do agree with you that Gilbert was the extra push that Andy needed in 2003 (but ultimately it might have been a clash of personalities that led to their break-up). I think the article's failings stem from the fact that they're trying to talk up John's new role as coach. In any case, they're probably rewriting the article, which is why it's gone from the website. The cat's out of the bag already, though.

devila
02-08-2006, 07:11 PM
How are you going to execute game plans when you don't drop some weight and reduce the excessive weight training routines (it slows down a tennis player who's over 6'2" 195 pounds)? It's common knowledge that players from Europe and South America are harder working and better trained on all surfaces. Roddick's not from an intelligent family like Nadal, Federer and Hingis.
He plays with no heart and little ambition. He rarely spends tiresome hours on the court.

Everyone's on the Gilbert bandwagon. How many 80th ranked players has he turned into mental giants and top 10 players?
Even if Gilbert is Agassi's coach, and Agassi's still 25 years old, Agassi wouldn't be good enough to win slams against Nadal, Safin, etc.

Hewitt rulez
02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I think it would be cool if Agassi became Roddick's coach.

tennisjunkiela
02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
It's common knowledge that players from Europe and South America are harder working and better trained on all surfaces. Roddick's not from an intelligent family like Nadal, Federer and Hingis.

huh? not from an intelligent family? because he's american?

it's "common knowledge" that players from europe and south america are harder working and better trained on all surfaces?

well most of the americans i know are not slackers and are very hard-working! please don't make sweeping generalizations just because federer and clisjters happen to be #1 right now. were all the players from other countries slackers when sampras, agassi, and the williams sisters were ruling the tennis world?? Geez!

sureshs
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
How are you going to execute game plans when you don't drop some weight and reduce the excessive weight training routines (it slows down a tennis player who's over 6'2" 195 pounds)? It's common knowledge that players from Europe and South America are harder working and better trained on all surfaces. Roddick's not from an intelligent family like Nadal, Federer and Hingis.
He plays with no heart and little ambition. He rarely spends tiresome hours on the court.

Or it could be that tennis goes in cycles with respect to countries. Sometimes hard work matters, sometimes raw talent. Australians who played with Rod Laver say that he hardly ever practised. While others trained hard under Harry Hopman. Now Aussies are not at the top. Does it really mean much?

It was all about Russian women a year ago. Reasons give were the economic conditions etc. Then the Belgian "sisters" came back and started winning.

Andy seems pretty intelligent. I don't know about his family but I would not assume they are not intelligent simply because I don't know.

How do you know that Rafa is intelligent?

It could just be that Roddick and the Williams' have made good money already and don't particularly care. It is a profession for them remember - just like working in the post office is a profession for others.

superman1
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Sounds like a good move. Goldfine always looked like a really passive guy to me. Maybe Roddick's brother will help him play with a little more heart out there. Roddick is full of emotion, but only when he's winning. Once he starts losing and sees Goldfine's expressionless face, he slumps down and gives up. He needs a coach to lift him up.

arosen
02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
It could just be that Roddick and the Williams' have made good money already and don't particularly care. It is a profession for them remember - just like working in the post office is a profession for others.

You might be onto something here. Roddick won all the small potatoes and even one of the big ones. Then Federer happened. That just took the air out of Andy, he could only find motivation in winning big, but with Roge on top, there was no more finals to win for Andy. So he just went through the motions, he complained, he made bad commercials that made him look like a loser, and a loser he became. Put a fork in him. He hired his bro for a coach. Geez, what's next, a barkeep for a physio trainer?

leonard18
02-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Also many seem to overrate the value of a coach. The player makes himself a better player and the coach doesnt. Sometimes a coach can even impede the development of a player if the wrong coach[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Peter Lundgren couldn't make magic on Safin, Tony Roche caint do worse on Federer.

devila
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Many top players are from Spain, Russia and Argentina. How many top Americans are in the top 50?
Roddick's smart off court and cannot care less on court.
He's about as serious a player as Luke Jensen.

His error was in asking his parents to play like his brother. Everyone agreed without hesitation. Did his parents hire coaches to assess his athleticism and mindset? Did they care about great teachers?
Is being a vacuous celeb more important to them?

People've told him to do wrong, and he listened. He hates disagreeing with family/co-workers even if debating helps him.

Tennis fans pay to watch Roddick, but he gives fake promises to the media. When he won't play "aggressive", he shouldn't lie to reporters.
His dear friends should stop promoting him as a true competitor.

As a pro, he messed around instead of trying to win. Before matches, he went to parties, casinos and sport events. That resulted in 1st round, 4th round and quarterfinal losses.

He whines as if he can't escape from a job he hates. His excuse is "I didn't plan on being a pro."
He can say he loves winning the Davis Cup. He knows Blake won't help him win Davis Cup. He will never accept that mentally and physically-draining events do nothing for him,

So stupid, he played with injury and then injured himself again at Davis Cup (played 3 consecutive days) and at an exhibition.

He crammed his schedule with a lot of ill-advised advertising/exhibitions. Then last year, he complained about the tough schedule.

BaseLineBash
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Fact is, Andy had his best results with BG period. If he was to go back with BG...that is if he'd take him...Andy has to realize its not a step backwards, any positive step is a step forward.

aznkb888
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Many top players are from Spain, Russia and Argentina. How many top Americans are in the top 50?

according to the latest ATP rankings, 5 americans are in the top 50, (roddick, agassi, ginepri, blake, dent)

7 spaniards (nadal, ferrer, robredo, ferrero, verdasco, lopez, and moya) are in the top 50

5 russians (davydenko, andreev, youzhny, safin, tursunov)...granted the last 3 are 47, 49 and 50.

5 argentines (nalbandian, coria, gaudio, acasuso, and chela) are in the top 50.

not sure what you're trying to grasp at here. its not like america has no one in the top 50. granted it could be better, but its not like its pathetic or anything...

andfor
02-09-2006, 06:51 AM
.......He whines as if he can't escape from a job he hates. His excuse is "I didn't plan on being a pro......"

Can you show us or document this entire quote from Roddick? Even if you can I am sure knowing you it's being taken out of context.

jackcrawford
02-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Roddick in now at least good for a laugh. From tennis-x TENNIS-X NEWS, NOTES, QUOTES AND BARBS
Call Andy Roddick "Pie Crust," because the actions of the former No. 1-ranked American just keep getting flakier and flakier. Last week it was unexpectedly showing up to play the Delray Beach qualifying event, then leaving in a huff with coach Dean Goldfine telling the local press that the tournament director had broken a trust by notifying the local media. Then yesterday Roddick's official website posted the story that Goldfine had been canned in favor of his brother John becoming his traveling coach, with Goldfine now in some vague supporting role. But by noon yesterday the story had been pulled from Andy's website, and Andy wasn't making himself available for comment -- nor was his website returning inquiries. Oops. The flaky-goodness Pie Crust saga continues today with one day remaining until Andy, James Blake and the Bryan brothers take on Romania. Is the best preparation for a big match firing your coach mere days before? "Andy felt that basically I wasn't able to help him play his best tennis," Goldfine told Charlie "Brick" Bricker of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I think, in general, coaches a lot of times get too much credit and too much of the blame. We can't hit the balls for them."

arnz
02-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Does Devila mean "devil's advocate?" if thats the case that is the most intelligent thing you have thought of. All of your other posts lack intelligence, IMHO.

Troll:mrgreen:

rommil
02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
I wonder how long it will be until he fires his brother...
Sheeesh, never mind that. I wonder how long it will be until he fires himself...

Kaptain Karl
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
1 - I disagree with the posters claiming “Andy isn’t a very good athlete.” Many articles have been written about how Roddick is (finally!) one American player who really IS an athlete. Have you all forgotten how they wrote that Andy could have played Basketball, Baseball or Football because he’s “that gifted???”

2 - The Player/Coach dynamic is presently too haphazard among most Pros. Too often the Coach is chosen by the Player’s family ... and for many of the wrong reasons. (“We can control him,” or “He helped [“X” player] so maybe he can help our son” ... when “X” has a totally different game and mentality than Sonny, etc....)

3 - From what I’ve seen, I believe Ladsdorp or Lundgren would be two coaches who could help Andy. They are both cerebral (like Andy) and neither is overly talkative. (I believe Gilbert’s success with Andy could never be a long term thing. He and Andy don’t really “click”. Goldfine was an overreaction in the opposite direction. Understandable, but also ineffective....)

4 - The Players who see tennis as a “job” may actually be *helping* themselves; not hurting their careers. It’s how they Learn and Behave that will drive what they do.

This isn’t “KK’s opinion;” it’s proven by very solid research. (I help employers predict top performing people. I have a 88% track record of success.)

(All the following presupposes the Player is *gifted* in tennis....) IMO, a Coach and a Player need to have at least “similar” characteristics in the three biggest predictors of success:
Thinking Style - How one learns processes and applies new information (not I.Q. or intelligence).
Integrity - What their ethics are like ... in practice.
Manageability - What kind of expectations you have ... of yourself, and of others.
Choosing a Coach/Player relationship without considering these dynamics merely continues the “revolving door” for the Coaches.

All of us who have Coached or Instructed tennis have (even if only intuitively) “consulted” with ourselves regarding the above, when asked to take on a new student or player relationship. (I promise you -- without even asking -- FiveO, Mahboob Khan, BB, Andrew, TommyGun and NoBadMojo, etc. have refused to work with particular students or players.) Their reasons may have merely been “It would not be a good fit” but their process of deciding probably includes the above factors -- whether conscious, or not.

[Care to put yourself to sleep reading my Source? Look for an 85 year longitudinal study published by Hunter & Schmidt, Psychological Bulletin, 1998.]

- KK

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 10:30 AM
1 - I disagree with the posters claiming “Andy isn’t a very good athlete.” Many articles have been written about how Roddick is (finally!) one American player who really IS an athlete. Have you all forgotten how they wrote that Andy could have played Basketball, Baseball or Football because he’s “that gifted???”

Sorry, lmao. Have you seen Roddick run? Or try to attempt a jump overhead like Sampras? A pretty sorry sight. And his hand-eye isn't exactly Agassi or McEnroe like. Tennis is the only sport Roddick could have played(and only in this era of high-powered raquets) He's not exactly Borg or Noah. (Roddick was a benchwarmer on his prep school basketball team, which I doubt is some kind of basketball powerhouse)

If Andy is tested in various distances & has his vertical measured, the results wouldn't be pretty. All those articles have no idea what athleticism he really possesses. Lebron James, Michael Vick types are really "that gifted." Not tennis' "A-Rod."

sandiegotennisboy
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
what it boils down to is that he has no game. just a serve. the problem is not with the coaching, but the fact that he chooses to play 10 feet behind the baseline after a great serve. he has a mediocre net game and that doesnt help. all you have to do to win against roddick is return the serve and keep the point going til he F's up.

Kaptain Karl
02-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Moose Malloy - You are allowing your personal opinion of Andy to prevent you from thinking clearly. I choose to believe the many published articles about Andy's athleticism over your biased view.

- KK

andfor
02-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry, lmao. Have you seen Roddick run? Or try to attempt a jump overhead like Sampras? A pretty sorry sight. And his hand-eye isn't exactly Agassi or McEnroe like. Tennis is the only sport Roddick could have played(and only in this era of high-powered raquets) He's not exactly Borg or Noah. (Roddick was a benchwarmer on his prep school basketball team, which I doubt is some kind of basketball powerhouse)

If Andy is tested in various distances & has his vertical measured, the results wouldn't be pretty. All those articles have no idea what athleticism he really possesses. Lebron James, Michael Vick types are really "that gifted." Not tennis' "A-Rod."

So by this logic (or illogic) where would your boys Lebron and Michael Vick fit on on Andy's High School tennis team? They would not even be JV, probably would get cut. Andy would probably make their JV BB teams. So under your logic that now makes Andy a better athlete than your example. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it buddy.

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Kaptain,
I like Andy. He's got a great personality, seems well-grounded(I like that's he's self-deprecating)
I just don't think he's a great athlete. If you asked him if he could play basketball or football professionally, he would laugh. Please provide links to these "many published articles" about his athleticism. Wonder what proof they have other than an opinion. Sampras could do some amazing things as a toddler(kick, throw footballs pretty far & straight), which leads me to believe he's a pretty good athlete(watch how far he can get off the ground when hitting an overhead. When Andy & Fed try, they look silly)

andfor,
probably shouldn't have mentioned Vick & James, but I can't believe you honestly think Andy has comparable athletic abilities. Guys in the NFL are extensively tested in speed, stamina, strength. They are almost superhuman. And many of them letter in multiple sports in high school & college, which I find amazing. If they had rich parents who forced them to play tennis at a young age& couldn't go pro(which I have no doubt they could), well that would just prove that tennis isn't that reliant on atheticism. It is more of a skill sport than those sports, while those draw the best pure athletes.
Guys on this board rave about how fast Hewitt or Nadal are. But really they are nothing compared to James, Vick, etc.
Keep deluding yourself as to how "athletic" tennis players really are.

Brettolius
02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I would say that while Agassi has better hand-eye coordination than Roddick, Andy in my eyes is clearly a superior ATHLETE. Maybe no LeBron or Mike Vick, but jesus dude, those are two of the top specimens on the planet.

ACE of Hearts
02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I think Fed was never good at smashing an over-head but he is athletic on the tennis court when it comes to playing defense and moving on the court.I agree about Roddick not being athletic.

If he was a superior athlete, why cant he run down balls.?He gets powered up when he faces stiff competition.

llama
02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
. Roddick's not from an intelligent family like Nadal, Federer and Hingis.

Does anyone else ever wonder just exactly what the Roddick family ever did to devila???:confused:

Kaptain Karl
02-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Please provide links to these "many published articles" about his athleticism. Wonder what proof they have other than an opinion.Not worth my time to do so. There have been numerous articles. Where've you been?

... If you asked him if he could play basketball or football professionally, he would laugh.I never claimed -- and the articles I've seen didn't either -- he could be Pro in those sports. You are exaggerating my position to make it easier to dismantle. (This is known as a Straw Man tactic in debates.)

When Andy & Fed try [to get off the ground when hitting an overhead] they look silly.Wow! You and I don't only not see this issue differently, we see Andy's and Roger's dunk-smashes differently. I don't think they look silly at all. (They do look "different" than Pete did, but they certainly can execute the dunk-smash....)

Mac lettered in (IIR) four different sports in HS. He was a big proponent of the cross-training benefits of other sports to tennis. He's not the only one with multiple sport experience. (Same question ... Where've you been?)

Guys on this board rave about how fast Hewitt or Nadal are. But really they are nothing compared to James, Vick, etc.
Keep deluding yourself as to how "athletic" tennis players really are.Ha-ha! I'd love to see James or Vick on a tennis court.

Your opinion of tennis players makes me wonder why you bother playing ... or participating on TW?

- KK

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Mac lettered in (IIR) four different sports in HS. He was a big proponent of the cross-training benefits of other sports to tennis. He's not the only one with multiple sport experience. (Same question ... Where've you been?)

I think Mac is an athletic guy(much more so than Andy)

Wow! You and I don't only not see this issue differently, we see Andy's and Roger's dunk-smashes differently. I don't think they look silly at all. (They do look "different" than Pete did, but they certainly can execute the dunk-smash....)

What's the point of the slam dunk smash if you don't have good hops?(ala Noah, Sampras) Andy doesn't have hops.
I played basketball in Santa Monica a few years ago. Sampras was playing on a nearby court. The guy has pretty good game for a tennis player.

I guess I misunderstood when you wrote:
I disagree with the posters claiming “Andy isn’t a very good athlete.” Many articles have been written about how Roddick is (finally!) one American player who really IS an athlete. Have you all forgotten how they wrote that Andy could have played Basketball, Baseball or Football because he’s “that gifted???”

So when you wrote, "he could have played" those sports what did you mean?
Recreationally?

Ha-ha! I'd love to see James or Vick on a tennis court.

If you give them the same life-time experience of lessons, practice that you had, they'd do fine. Much more than you would on a basketball court with them.

andfor
02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
......andfor,
probably shouldn't have mentioned Vick & James, but I can't believe you honestly think Andy has comparable athletic abilities. Guys in the NFL are extensively tested in speed, stamina, strength. They are almost superhuman. And many of them letter in multiple sports in high school & college, which I find amazing. If they had rich parents who forced them to play tennis at a young age& couldn't go pro(which I have no doubt they could), well that would just prove that tennis isn't that reliant on atheticism. It is more of a skill sport than those sports, while those draw the best pure athletes.
Keep deluding yourself as to how "athletic" tennis players really are.

Just wanted to bust on you for your silly comparison. I like KK wonder why you or if you even play tennis with the low self-esteem you show for the game. I guess you think that tennis players are not athletic enough to have had the potential to play any other sport professionally.

Again you've made another foolish argument. By your logic(illogic) if many of todays tennis players grew up with poor parents only playing basketball or grew up with football as the main outlet lifting weights all the time who are you to say conclusivly that none of them would have made the pros? You can't and neither can I. Smoke that..............:mrgreen:

devila
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
No one would take Roddick's amateurish coaching, poor moves and mediocre fitness regime seriously.

Even Federer exaggerates about him.:

"But Andy, I think on the grass with his serve, you know, he's so dangerous. I like his humor on/off court. We get along well. We've had some good match over the years. I've got a great record against him. No matter what, I always enjoy playing against him. He's always fair. Especially in the States, he's very, very well‑liked. It's good to have a great American now that Andre, Pete, Chang, Courier, they all sort of ‑‑ some are leaving and some are gone.

It's great to have Andy." (July 2005)

Yeah, trolls seem more intelligent than nontrolls (Roddick kissers and Federer-obsessed freaks).

Kaptain Karl
02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
So when you wrote, "he could have played" those sports what did you mean?
Recreationally?Ah! I meant "competitively" -- like in High School or College -- not "professionally". (And the articles I've seen never indicated "professional" participation in other sports either.)

If you give them the same life-time experience of lessons, practice that you had, they'd do fine.And with that same amount of dedication to tennis, they'd probably suck at hoops or football -- like me!
Much more than you would on a basketball court with them.I was a 2nd string Forward on my YMCA team in HS. I even scored 11 points in one game we played. (I averaged 5 pts per game.) I'll take on either of them in One-on-one!!!

- KK

devila
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Roddick's opinions:

perfection: What we strive for.
Austin, TX: I'll never leave.
Dating: I wish i did more of it.
Agassi: I'll probably retire before he does.
Maria: A great player, doesn't want to lose.
Serving: I can do that pretty well.
U.S Open: Best tennis memory.
Davis Cup: We've got to win it.

devila
02-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Smash Magazine interview:

Now that You're Famous, do people come up to you all the time?

The funniest thing happened a while ago. I was at Starbucks and someone walked up to me and asked "Do you know who look like? He told me thta i looked like the actor Sean William Scott, the guy who plays Stiffler in American Pie. I've been told that a lot. So i nodded and this person said. "it must be really cool to look like someone famous. I wish i could look like someone famous." So i said, "yeah, me too." Pretty funny.

You did a reality show, what was it like having cameras in your face 24/7?

Well, it wasn't 24/7. It was fun, not nearly as intrusive as i thought it would be. We were on the bus w/ all our friends, w/ Mardy (Fish) and the bros (Bryans). We were goofing off, joking a lot, getting it going between each of us.

People Magazine has named you one of its hottest bachelors. Do you find that stuff flattering or just annoying?
Both. Actually its pretty flattering. You try to hide articles like that from the guys or else they'll see it and give it to you alot- Mardy in particular.

What was it like when you first spent time with Pate and Andre?

I've never been tongued tied, buti sure was nervouss around them when i was a hitting partner for DavisCup five years ago. I don't think i said seven words the whole week.

Didn't Agassi just rip balls at you at the net?

Thats the intiaton ritual.

And you've done it to Donald Young?
Absolutely.

Who's the one celeb you hope to meet?
I would love to meet Mchael Jordan or Muhammad Ali.

Lets go back to when you started, what was your first tennis racket?
When i was 7 Ihad something called "big red".

What are the best/worst things a bout being a tennis pro?
THe best part is not having a real job. THe worst is being away form family and friends.

You Bought a house in 2003. Not too far from lance armstorng's. whose better, you at cycling, or him at tennis?

I've never cycled w/ him. I only played tennis with Lance for the first tme just recently. He's impressve. He forced himself into playing OK, you could see he's such a good athlete, so smart, so driven

If MTV did a CRIBS on you what's the one part you'd show case and hte one you'd want to keep off camera?

I'm pretty proud of my mom. THere's lots of fun stuff- pool table, poker room, theater. But i wouldn't show my room. Its a pigsty

We understand you're a bit of a gambler. Any tips for our next trip to vegas?
Wait a sec. The first time i gambled was in an Australian casino this january. I mostly like it just for the socializing.

Whats your favorite junk food?

KC masterpiece Barbecue potato chips. Love French Fries

THe O.C or Sportscenter?

Are you kidding? Sportscenter. I've never watched The O.C. Maria [Sharapova], she's all over that show. She keeps trying to convince me it's a good show, but i'll never watch it. I'm a sports guy. I love the USA Today sports section. If you can get a hold of it while your in Europe, thats gold, pure gold

If you weren't playing tennis, what would you be doing w/your life?

I'd probably be flunking my way out of college, I'm thankful i'm good at tennis

devila
02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
tennis-x:

Patrick McEnroe says get ready for the return of the ****-sure, strutting, glaring Andy Roddick at Wimbledon: "What I have seen missing a little bit from Andy is that attitude. That in-your-face, sticking-it-to-you attitude, and I think it'll be back at Wimbledon."

devila
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
FENDRICH ON TENNIS: A nation turns its lonely eyes to Roddick
6/18/2005 1:18:00 PM

WIMBLEDON, England (AP)

Last year's U.S. Open final, in which Federer beat Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, set a record for lowest rating, a 29 percent drop from when Roddick won in 2003.

Just 2 percent of U.S. households turned in for the French Open final between Nadal and Argentina's Mariano Puerta. That's XFL territory.

``It's something that we need for the success of tennis, particularly in this country, but around the world, too,'' McEnroe said. ``We need Americans.''

donnielprokennex
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
John Roddick is a no nonsense type of guy. I think everyone will be surprised at the positive results.

arnz
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I think tennis requires some athleticism, but not necessarily the speed- strength, explosive agility or jumping ability of football or basketball. The kind of athleticism that requires flexibility and looseness that tennis requires is different than those sports.

I would agree that football players or basketball players are supremely athletic. Tennis however requires more eye hand coordination and anticipation. Plus it is more skill based. Believe me, you can train all you want in basketball or football, but unless you are physically gifted, your not going to make it to the pros. That is because football and basketball, we could add boxing to it too, is more based on your natural athleticism, while tennis is more skill based with a specialized kind of athleticism.

I think that if you had Roddick, Agassi, or Federer do the 100 yard dash, or do the long jump or high jump, that they would measure almost even, or very slight differences. I dont think that athleticism is what is holding Roddick back

What he lacks is Rogers anticipation, making him look slow, and Agassi's eye hand coordination, making him look inept sometimes and forcing him to stay 10 feet behind the baseline. Roddick can pummel the ball coming slowly, usually as a result of his first serve bomb. But give him a ball which isnt coming to him and he has a tough time. Lack of anticipation

And for that matter, look at the not so athletic Hingis, she seems to be where the ball is most of the time. Great anticipation .

andfor
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Devila. You're obsessed.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I dont know why he just doesnt go back to Brad. What is the point of continuing to change coaches in order to satisfy the media who claim you arent trying hard enough if you arent ranked #1. If he goes back to Brad, I still dont think he will be #1 again, but he will be a better player than he will be with any other coach, and nobody would pressure him to make another coaching change either.

devila
02-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Brad's an idiot. Why are the Fed freaks getting hard-ons for him? :shock:

devila
02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Roddick's earliest nemesis was Brees

Top U.S. player glad Drew chose football
By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 9, 2006

They were two Texas tykes on an Austin tennis court. The little shaver with the sound strokes, even at the age of 8 or 9, was Andy Roddick. The other kid did not have Roddick's grounding in tennis fundamentals, but how he would compete!

His name was Drew Brees.

“I remember the most annoying thing was that Drew played about twice a week,” Roddick said. “I was hard-core; I was playing every day, every weekend. I could never beat the guy.”

Which is not how Brees remembers it. The Chargers quarterback said when he was opposing Roddick, who was three years his junior, he always was aware that one day, the little guy across the net would beat him. Finally, as Brees recalls, he did.

“I think it was the last tournament I played,” Brees said. “I had beaten him something like 6-2, 6-0 the first time I played him, and I beat him twice more. He looked so little on the court, but his game was so fundamentally sound and he had such good ground strokes that the only way I could beat him was to serve and volley. I kind of salvaged points here and there.”

Tennis for Brees was just another means of expressing his competitive nature. When he was playing junior tennis in the boys 12 division in his native Austin, he also was involved in football, basketball, baseball and soccer. Tennis, he said, was no better than his fifth-favorite sport. He liked baseball best, then soccer.

After he turned 13, Brees said, he ceased playing tournament tennis. In the 12s, however, he became the state's No. 1 player in his age group. There are a great many junior tennis players in Texas.

“I liked the competitiveness of it,” Brees said. “I would just run around the court. I loved sports. I liked to think that anything I put my mind to, I could do.”

Brees said he still plays tennis occasionally, but only of a recreational sort. “When I do,” he said, “I usually come home with blisters all over my feet, probably because I don't have the proper shoes.”

Roddick also still is playing. The No. 3 player in the world, he is to represent the United States in its first-round Davis Cup tie against Romania this weekend at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club.

When Roddick was playing Brees, it has to be remembered that he was “playing up,” as the phrase has it, competing against older players. A third notable on those courts at that time was Chris Mihm, who would grow up, way up, to become the 7-foot center of the Los Angeles Lakers.

“Mihm was 6-foot-6 starting in the sixth grade,” Brees said.

Said Roddick of Brees, the tennis player: “He was a heck of a tennis player, but all of a sudden he was a basketball star, too. Obviously, a quarterback. I just remember him for being a great athlete.”

Roddick, a Nebraska native who lived in Austin from the ages of 4 to 10, said he had lost track of his one-time tennis antagonist until one day he clicked on a television set to a Purdue game. “And there is Drew,” he said. “I remember that guy. He's throwing touchdown passes instead of hitting balls by me.”

Roddick was asked whether if Brees focused more fully on tennis, could he have had a future in the game at the level Roddick currently occupies. “It's impossible to tell when a guy is 12 years old,” Roddick said.

At 8 or 9, Roddick, as Brees remembers him, had the same confident attitude that has served him in his advance to tennis' pinnacle. This served to whet Brees' zeal for competition.

“But every time I played him, he got better and better,” Brees said. “There are three guys from that time I remember, and I remember him the most.”

Brees said he might attend this weekend's Davis Cup match. Meantime, he had a message for America's ranking player.

“Tell him I want him to serve some balls at me,” Brees said. “I want to see if I can return them.”

Kaptain Karl
02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
What is the point of continuing to change coaches in order to satisfy the media who claim you arent trying hard enough if you arent ranked #1.I think you grossly misunderstand Andy's "motivation". I'll bet "satisfying the media" is WAY down the list.

- KK

federerhoogenbandfan
02-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I think you grossly misunderstand Andy's "motivation". I'll bet "satisfying the media" is WAY down the list.

- KK

It could be that he believes he belongs at #1 and if he isnt #1 he must have the wrong coach. If that is his true belief he is sadly mistaken.

devila
02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
No. He wants to be with Americans--coach, friends, tournaments, charity.
That's why Davis Cup is precious to him... His friends convince him to place less significance on real ATP tournaments, and live in a fantasy of holding the Davis Cup. Blake and the twins congratulate themselves and blame him when they lose.

whistleway
02-09-2006, 05:54 PM
why is there so much hate for andy on these boards? hmm...

Rusedski Fan
02-09-2006, 06:30 PM
I have been a Roddick supporter for years. I love Brad Gilbert, saw Dean Goldfine work Andy hard in practice at Cincy, Memphis, and other Touneys. Dean is a fine coach that begged Andy to start being more aggressive on returns.

Andy is reminding me of Boxers that lose a championship fight and fire their cornermen the next day. The boxer gets a new cornerman and then fights ****** in the next fight and then fires the new guy saying the new cornerman couldn't get it done. In boxing, everyone has a plan until they get smacked in the face. Champions rise up and find a way to hold on to the title when the chips are down. What did Andy do? Hires his brother??? Anyone think this is just a total lack of sense?

FFIINNG cop out by firing Dean Goldfine. Andy got smacked in the face in Australia and fires Dean. Champions don't blame others, they fight the next round and fight to win.

I hope his bro can get Andy to move his *** to the baseline and start attacking the serve instead of wussy bunts on the return. Andy's game has holes and I don't see the committment to filling those holes. I will be in Memphis next week to watch. I hope I am wrong.

I am calling my shot right now, Andy is out of the top 10 by the end of 2006.

I am really saddened for US tennis. I just don't see enough talent coming. Donald Young is not going to be a top ten player because he lacks power. Ginepri and Dent are inconsistant at best. Mardy Fish is a joke and is finished. It seems like James Blake is getting better, but is he the answer? Don't bet on it.

Wow, US tennis just got shittier! Best of luck to Dean Goldfine! I know we will see Dean with an up and comer real soon. Dean's phone will be ringing off the hook.

nkhera1
02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe his brother will light a fire under his *** and force him to stop hitting weak forehands. If he can improve that alone it will be a big accomplishment.

alienhamster
02-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't see what the big deal is here. Goldfine probably isn't the best match for Andy *mentally*, so it's best for him to change until he finds a good match. (Can't agree more with the Kap'n.)

Roddick will continue to improve his technique, but that's not what's holding him back. It's his confidence, his ability to anticipate rather than get flat footed in a point (which, YES, he has shown us before). Brad helped Andy in two main areas:

1) Specific strategies to defeat his opponents
2) Belief in the strengths of his own game

I really think that rain delay at the Wimbledon 2004 final was HUGE for both Roddick and Federer--in some ways a critical historical moment in the men's game. Roddick was so mentally on throughout the whole tournament, and he had the *belief* in the first half of the final match that he was the better player. And Federer's confidence really wasn't there at that point. The match may have turned around without the rain delay, but that's not the point. I think that match is the moment where Fed really switched on into the historically memorable player we all know. Unfortunately, I think it's also the primary moment where Roddick switched off. If that match had gone differently, I really wonder if the slam count for both guys would be significantly different today.

If ROddick can just get his confidence going, he can be a big time player again. A coach can really help in the mental aspect of the game. He may need a hypnotist, too, but he's gotta do something here soon or he's gonna keep fading.

devila
02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Goldfine did nothing special with Todd Martin. He was with him for years.
Roddick said he didn't impress Goldfine and we all know he's a negligent *** because he listens to the dumbass media about his bad clay tennis, and about "unbeatable" opponents- Federer, Baghdatis, Ljubicic, etc.