PDA

View Full Version : video taping

lendl lives
06-11-2004, 10:53 AM
i most enjoy watching college and junior players on tv as i can relate more to their game. i have started to think it would be cool to video tape myself in a match to see what i look like. anyone else do this? anyone have advice on the type of camera to get or try out? (clueless here guys)

James Brown
06-11-2004, 01:46 PM
whichever camera you buy, youre gonna have to buy an additional battery because most provide you with either a 30 min charge or an hour long charge. id love to get tapes of you/other guys our age playing. im gonna start taping when the tennis team starts up next season.

Kobble
06-11-2004, 09:12 PM
I'll tell you, watching yourself play is the most eye opening tennis experience you can have. The disbelief on someone's face when they see the real reason they missed that down the line backhand is priceless. Watching my friend yell at the television while gripping his hair as he watched his serve was hilarious. He had a good serve, but it wasn't as perfect as he had hoped. What he thought would be the soundest aspect of his serve was in fact the weakest. However, as soon as the shock is over it can be a very productive. I actually felt relief when I saw myself play, because if I didn't have obvious flaws I would be boggled as to what to correct. Also, it is so sweet when a stroke starts to come together.

Deuce
06-13-2004, 11:10 PM
I agree with Kobble. One hour of video is worth 100 hours of any type of instruction. With video, you cannot argue, and you cannot deny. The facts are right there in front of your face.

In my case, watching myself on video opened my eyes to how lazy I am with regards to proper positioning. I try to 'cheat' too much, thinking I can get away with hitting the shot I want to hit without necessarily making the effort to get into the proper position to hit it.

KingBugsy
06-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I havent taped any matches yet, however I have been taping my private lessons. And yes, it is EYE :shock: opening for sure! I have already made many changes in my game after seeing the problems myself. I now bring my video camera to all my lessons, so I can watch back. Been very helpful... plan on trying to video some of my matches as well.

lendl lives
06-14-2004, 11:05 AM
hey guys, what type of camera's are out there? vhs, dvd, digital? any tips?

James Brown
06-14-2004, 11:27 AM
DV cameras that can hook up to your comp.

jayserinos99
06-17-2004, 04:50 PM
dv cameras are money. i'm using my canon s400 as my video camera. it's okay in a pinch but i'd really want a dv camera for movies. i know that there's a certain stand that you can put on the top of the backfence where you can set your camera up. i don't think a tripod on the sidelines would make for a very good angle.

and i agree with everyone w/ the benefits of video taping; it's so shocking how bad i look after hitting!

Cypo
08-06-2004, 01:49 AM
A friend just tried out recording tennis with a camera which shoots 25 frames per second and this was fast enough to see a useful frame by frame replay. Our camera shoots at 15 (I think) and there is too much time between frames - too much action lost)

Rackethead
08-07-2004, 11:23 PM
What type of camera is best? Aren't you worried about it getting knocked over by a ball and getting smashed?

Cypo
08-08-2004, 12:28 AM
The ball did hit the camera - no damage done though and a great shot - the ball coming toward you and then everything all shaken up ! The friend was filming and I guess he held the camera and kept the tripod from falling over, I wasn' there when it happened. The camera is a Sony, but I don't know the model - I can find out if you want though.

Rackethead
08-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I don't think I would be able to find someone to film, so it would be a tripod setup -- but I'm not sure that there would be too much in there (probably a lot of scenes of an empty court with occassionally a guy running back and forth across the screen).

Is there a good setup that does not require an operator? Also, how do you protect the camera fro balls?

Cypo
08-09-2004, 08:00 AM
The best angle he found was from behind the baseline with a wide angle. Almost all the action was there. Maybe Jayserinos's set up is safest for the camera though. I think the biggest challenge with not having someone to film is the amount of wasted time while you collect and clear balls from the court.