PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt and his way to make friends...

Shabazza
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18073618-5001022,00.html

I'm not even disappointed (I don't expect much from him anyway), just sad for those kids. :(

VolklVenom
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Not only didn't he turn up to the Special Olympics charity citing a sore foot, he was seen PLAYING golf later that afternoon.

norcal
02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Not only didn't he turn up to the Special Olympics charity citing a sore foot, he was seen PLAYING golf later that afternoon. C'mon - give the guy a break, grass is soft, yaught deck is hard.

A true gentleman Lleyton is:
Hewitt became a Special Olympics ambassador after calling chair umpire Andres Eglian and a net judge at the 2001 French Open "spastics".

The following day, Hewitt was forced to apologise.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 01:14 PM
He's now a father...but I guess he's still, and always be a jerk. Shame Hewit, shame.

Chopin
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Retirement should only be a few years off with the way he's been playing recently. Ultimately, Hewitt's best tennis days are far behind him.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
No one will work with him after he retires...absolutely no people skills

Richie Rich
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Lleyton really didn't want to go on the cruise because his IQ would be the lowest on the whole boat.

Stuff like this means the world to these kids - ever see their faces light up when they get to meet professional athletes? Like the article said, all LH had to do was show up, maybe sign a few autographs, and he would have had fans for life.

He really should take his head out of his arse.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Au contraire. He should just keep it there ..until he's a cranky old man.

Richie Rich
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Au contraire. He should just keep it there ..until he's a cranky old man.

sounds like he already is. he's the friggin spastic.

edberg505
02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I can't wait til he plays Fed Ex again and get pwned! Hahaha, maybe if he keeps gettin his arse kicked that will straighten him up a bit.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
At this moment i'm watching the fourth set of the AO final 05 where Hewitt loses to Safin..........It is soooooooo satisfying....... LOL

pound cat
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Ha ha Hewitt ...they're all cheering for Safin...Nemesis Hewitt, nemesis!

pound cat
02-08-2006, 03:14 PM
And Safin is so gracious in his speech..says nothing about himself and does nothing but praise Hewitt. Now there's someone Hewitt could learn from. But he didn't.

Chadwixx
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Not only didn't he turn up to the Special Olympics charity citing a sore foot, he was seen PLAYING golf later that afternoon.

That is pretty bad, it reminds me of the us open where serena's knee was coming off surgery yet she was seen walking in downtown new york in 3 inch heels.

Im a hewitt fan but that is pretty weak stuff. Seems like with the athlete's of today, the more you learn about them the more you dislike them.

Gq (i think) just did a list of the top 10 most hated athlete's. Hewitt came in at #10, pretty good for someone in an unknown sport. If this were known before they did the poll i think it would move him up to at least 5.

pound cat
02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
And you're still a Hewitt fan? Now I understand your comment about Martina Navrotalova.

Chadwixx
02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I respect the way he plays tennis. You gotta admit for a little guy he is damn good. But, the more i learn about him the more im disliking him. Ignorance is bliss with todays athlete's.

devila
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/tfunny.jpg

Count Grishnackh
02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Lleyton really didn't want to go on the cruise because his IQ would be the lowest on the whole boat.

Stuff like this means the world to these kids - ever see their faces light up when they get to meet professional athletes? Like the article said, all LH had to do was show up, maybe sign a few autographs, and he would have had fans for life.

He really should take his head out of his arse.

Haha, nice one. Classy guy that Hewitt, I don't think I can come with an original word for him, I'll let the rest of you guys take care of it. All I can say is that I hope his tennis goes in the direction it looks like he's going, downward. I see why Nike and Clijsters dropped the scumbag.

oscar_2424
02-08-2006, 05:30 PM
i still dont understand why he didnt show up, i mean he has to care for those people right?, i hope he can think about his acts, thumbs down for the aussie

Yours!05
02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
According to his Manager he had not agreed to go.

Virtuous
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Apparently Lleyton's been falsely accused. It's a shame that people are so quick to believe anything negative written about the guy
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/snub-accusation-knife-in-my-back/2006/02/09/1139379610968.html
Snub accusation 'knife in my back'

February 9, 2006 - 12:41PM

Lleyton Hewitt says accusations that he snubbed a Special Olympics fundraiser feel like a knife in the back given his commitment to Australia.

He says he didn't know about the event, and couldn't have gone anyway because, had he not been sidelined by injury, he was due to be playing Davis Cup tennis in Switzerland.

Special Olympics Australia has unreservedly apologised to the tennis champ for a misunderstanding that fuelled reports in News Limited newspapers and on the Seven Network.

Hewitt said he and soap star wife Bec Cartwright, who both have a long association with Seven, were now unsure about their relationship with the network.

"You don't get to come home that often. I love coming back to Australia whenever I can," Hewitt told Macquarie Radio today.

"That's why I live here. That's why I pay tax here. That's why I don't live in other countries ... more suitable for tennis players.

"It's disappointing that every time you come back it's like a knife going in your back."

The reports accused Hewitt of snubbing a Sydney Harbour cruise last week which was to raise money to help athletes compete at the Special Olympics World Games in China next year.

Hewitt today said he did not know about the fundraiser.

He said his manager called the organisation just before the event, after learning that reports were emerging that he was supposed to attend.

However, Hewitt said that at such late notice he could not attend.

"I didn't know a thing about it, to tell you the truth," Hewitt said.

"It's funny though that (the reports) reckoned (Special Olympics Australia) organised it ages ago for me.

"But if I wasn't injured with my ankle, I'd be playing in Switzerland this weekend in the Davis Cup, and I wouldn't have been here anyway."

Hewitt said the decision by Seven in particular to air its report without checking with him, was the latest in a number of negative experiences with the network.

This one was "extremely disappointing", he said.

His wife, who is a former star of Seven's soapie Home and Away, was even more upset with the network's report, he said.

"Considering that she put seven and a half great years into Channel Seven, and being a spokesperson for their channel ...," Hewitt said.

"Obviously our whole family is pretty disappointed with what's happened."

Hewitt said Special Olympics Australia CEO Catriona Barry had told him she couldn't be more disappointed and embarrassed by the reports.

Ms Barry apologised yesterday in a statement for "a misunderstanding" within Special Olympics Australia around Hewitt's participation in the fundraiser.

"It's clear now that Lleyton's manager had advised it was highly unlikely he would be able to attend, and in fact never at any stage confirmed Lleyton would attend," the statement said.

"We sincerely regret our mistake and apologise unreservedly to Lleyton and his manager."

Comment was being sought from Seven.

AAP

Yours!05
02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
As always, it's interesting when you have a bit of first hand knowledge of something to compare that with the the Press reports.

arosen
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Australian press churned out a nasty one, and everyone bought it. Kinda reminds me of some of the Brit press reporters, they love this kind of stuff. Sells papers. Part of the problem though is that Lleyton is such an arse on the court, noone would doubt his ability to ditch the Special Olympics. What a mess.

christo
02-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Australian press churned out a nasty one, and everyone bought it. Kinda reminds me of some of the Brit press reporters, they love this kind of stuff. Sells papers. Part of the problem though is that Lleyton is such an arse on the court, noone would doubt his ability to ditch the Special Olympics. What a mess.
You've hit the nail on the head, while Lleyton may be many things, he is not going to do anything to spoil his image in Australia. The problem is that people's perception of him is that he is an irascible jerk and his persona is not one of maturity and sportsmanship (think Rafter) so people believe where there's smoke there's got to be fire.

Lee
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
**edit******************

Shabazza
02-09-2006, 01:58 AM
You've hit the nail on the head, while Lleyton may be many things, he is not going to do anything to spoil his image in Australia. The problem is that people's perception of him is that he is an irascible jerk and his persona is not one of maturity and sportsmanship (think Rafter) so people believe where there's smoke there's got to be fire.
I didn't want to bash Hewitt (I couldn't care less about him), just wanted to show the article, cause I found it sad - well, it was a false accusation it seems, shame on the magazine.
Still, I think his behavior lacks off-court as well.

Richie Rich
02-09-2006, 05:07 AM
even though we bought into the article and we were wrong, the responses from people give you an insight into what they think of Lleyton. most beleived it and most beleived that it was an accurate description of Lleyton's character to do such a thing. only because he is such a dink with the press, his opponents, the ATP, and a long list of others.

maybe he should read Murphy Jensen's blog and see the Fed quote. Llleyton might learn something.

Count Grishnackh
02-09-2006, 05:21 AM

Exactly, I second that. If this type of thing was written about Federer or a Rafter people wouldn't have bought it for a second. Hewitt is sort of "damaged goods" at this point and is going through a PR nightmare. But all this starts and ends with him. Hewitt's image even without this "supposed bail out" of a special olympic event is still horrendous, he practically needs to be a saint from now on to earn the love from fans and Australians alike. He also needs to win more slams, for some reason people like you better if you win something. Fed and Nadal may have something to say about that.

TheNatural
02-09-2006, 05:22 AM
The baggers must feel a bit stupid now.

legolas
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
lol