PDA

View Full Version : Roddick Fires Goldfine

mjcxp
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Roddick just fired Goldfine.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5315960

samster
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
About time. Let's get Brad Gilbert back and start winning some grandslams again! Oh...looks like Andy Roddick hired his brother to be his coach. Another Michael Chang story in the works here?

Andy Hewitt
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Interesting....

Fee
02-08-2006, 12:49 PM
way to scroll less than 2 inches down the page....

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85914

ATXtennisaddict
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
way to scroll less than 2 inches down the page....

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85914

hey there tommy haas (your sig and av suggests so!)

Ken B.
02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
About time. Let's get Brad Gilbert back and start winning some grandslams again! Oh...looks like Andy Roddick hired his brother to be his coach. Another Michael Chang story in the works here?

But Michael Chang was one of the nicest guys in the history of the world (and won more masters and a Davis cup than roddick). Even if character is outside of tennis, don't put him on the same level as Roddick.

Richie Rich
02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
i fail to see what tennis wisdom AR's bro will impart that DG and BG couldn't do???? i don't see this being successful.

Chadwixx
02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
As devila has said, andy is the problem not everyone around him. As long as he is blaming everyone but himself he will not improve.

Chadwixx
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
About time. Let's get Brad Gilbert back and start winning some grandslams again!

Better hope for alot of rain and some preferrential scheduling. Btw its grand slam, not grand slams. He is a one hit wonder.

Bogie
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
hey there tommy haas (your sig and av suggests so!)

hey there safin(your sig suggests so)

devila
02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
To be fair, preferential treatment doesn't hurt Federer, Hewitt and Agassi either.

Steve Huff
02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Roddick's brother can say "get off your lazy azz and get to work". He can motivate him in "personal" ways that other coaches couldn't get by with. He can pretend they are little boys again and when Andy doesn't work hard he can say, "I'm gonna tell--the media on you".

156MPHserve
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I think Roddick has given up trying to best his game out to beat Federer. He'll just keep raking in the money by relying on that 140+ MPH serve until he can't and then try to go into Hollywood and model/act. Dean helps him technically, like volley and his nice backhand slice. I don't think it matters to Roddick anymore. He doesnt have a good left wrist to hit backhands like Safin. So no hope on the backhand. He tried to volley without success. He got the slice. He's always had decent speed and conditioning. There's just no need for Dean. Just save some bucks, sign your brother as coach to have someone to hang out with.

VictorS.
02-08-2006, 11:30 PM
I honestly think Roddick is getting too much criticism on this board. I don't care how "naturally" talented you are.....it's take hard work to make it to #1 in the world. People talk about A-Rod like he's some kind of hack who lucked out with a 150mph serve. Is his game the most well-rounded?? Probably not. Does he have some deficiencies in his game? Yes. Does he play a real "cerebral" game? Not sure...maybe not.

It's amazing the lack of respect this guy gets. As a tennis player myself, I have a ton of respect for Roddick. The pressure, the hours of work on court, the sacrifices he probably made to get where he's at.

Richie Rich
02-09-2006, 06:10 AM
I honestly think Roddick is getting too much criticism on this board. I don't care how "naturally" talented you are.....it's take hard work to make it to #1 in the world. People talk about A-Rod like he's some kind of hack who lucked out with a 150mph serve. Is his game the most well-rounded?? Probably not. Does he have some deficiencies in his game? Yes. Does he play a real "cerebral" game? Not sure...maybe not.

It's amazing the lack of respect this guy gets. As a tennis player myself, I have a ton of respect for Roddick. The pressure, the hours of work on court, the sacrifices he probably made to get where he's at.

i don't think anyone is doubting his work ethic or sacrifices he made. what we are doubting is his choice of coach and how his brother is going to take his game (either mentally or physically) to the next level.

Jon Hampton
02-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Well, who didn't see this coming? Roddick has done a mediocre job under Goldfine's instruction. However, I'm not going to say, "bring back Brad", because it all depends on the player and how well they perform. A coach can have a huge impact on a player, but bringing back Brad won't make Roddick #1 in the world. Roddick needs to adapt to changes in the game. Let's be honest, most everyone can now serve into the 110/120 range, even tiny players. Roddick's big serve (140/150) is used seldom, even though it wins a lot of points. But, he's just contend to hit the 120/130, which more and more players are getting used to returning.

I wish Rod all the best and hope he does well with his new coach, although I only think this is a temporary solution.

pound cat
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
"I only think this is a temporary solution."

I think this is a desperation move, and is in no way is a solution. temporary or long-term

federerhoogenbandfan
02-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Look forward to seeing you out of the top 5 by years end Andy, oh and date for next new coach- January 2007, then March 2008 after that. He is the new Nicole Bobek of mens tennis.

MonkeyPox
02-09-2006, 12:11 PM
At least he's trying to do something. He's trying to shake himself up in the process I'm sure. Good luck to him.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Roddick was #3 in the World, won 5 titles last year, and reached a Wimbledon final, I am surprised everybody thinks he was doing as badly as they do. The expectations many have of him are inflated IMO.

ACE of Hearts
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah, i think people are putting too much expectations on him.He is what he is, he is a good tennis player, not great!If he didnt have a booming serve, he would be dead-meat!

devila
02-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Let's see. The "loser" feels very guilty and he loves to "redeem himself" (his LOVER Pat McEnroe's favorite phrase) by playing exhibitions ---$$$$$ to the needy kids!

Looky here:

Roddick, whose earnings are listed at $13.5 million for 2004, missed the Top 50 this year by just $700,000.
http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/Insider_0701.asp

goober
02-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, i think people are putting too much expectations on him.He is what he is, he is a good tennis player, not great!If he didnt have a booming serve, he would be dead-meat!

What kind of meat would Sampras be if he had an average pro serve?

sandiegotennisboy
02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Look forward to seeing you out of the top 5 by years end Andy, oh and date for next new coach- January 2007, then March 2008 after that. He is the new Nicole Bobek of mens tennis.

nicole bobek? say what... who the F is that?

sandiegotennisboy
02-09-2006, 10:30 PM

sandiegotennisboy
02-09-2006, 10:40 PM
What kind of meat would Sampras be if he had an average pro serve?

Ahh lets see what SAMPRAS had that RODDICK doesnt:

*can play offensive, or turn defense to offense
*anticipation
*a net game
*tactical mind
*better footwork/speed
*better serve
*better forehand

SAMPRAS w/o his serve would still be top 5 or top 10. Roddick w/o his serve is like top 40 at best.

i hope he wins more slams. i was cheering for him when he won the USO. its sad to see his game decline but he needs to realize he needs to play more offensively and not play like a spaniard on fast courts. if he keeps it up, he out of the top 20 by 2007

goober
02-09-2006, 10:41 PM

Obscure skating reference. Bobek was a skater who changed her coaches frequently. I think she went through at least 11 coaches.

sandiegotennisboy
02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Obscure skating reference. Bobek was a skater who changed her coaches frequently. I think she went through at least 11 coaches.

ooh k. ty :-)

devila
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Which is a better situation to have?

Great coaches.
Athletic, good parents who knew they had a very athletic son.
Athlete has a tennis physique. Confident. Loves work.
6'1" 170 pounds

Fat parents who knew nothing about tennis. Mediocre parenting.
Average coaches.
Unathletic son was forced to play by parents.
No self-belief. Poor work ethics.
6'3" 195 pounds (give or take 15 pounds).

barry
02-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Maybe he does not need a coach. Federer has done pretty well without one. I doubt any coach can teach Andy to think or play like a Federer. Just like the NBA, when a team or player is doing poorly, fire the coach.
I am sure he is not making much money on tour right now, and maybe reducing cost. Those 1st round loses get expensive.

grimmbomb21
02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Maybe he does not need a coach. Federer has done pretty well without one. I doubt any coach can teach Andy to think or play like a Federer. Just like the NBA, when a team or player is doing poorly, fire the coach.
I am sure he is not making much money on tour right now, and maybe reducing cost. Those 1st round loses get expensive.

Yeah, but thats why he hired his brother. Family discount. ;)

vllockhart
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Looks like Andy listened to me in part and at least got rid of Goldfine. I think this brother pairing will be beneficial. Mary Pierce does well with her bro as coach.