PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut broke before hitting

TwistServe
06-11-2004, 11:08 AM
I had a fresh VS gut 17 strung on Wednesday... Took it out to play on Thursday and it had already broke while sitting in my bag (before I hit the ball once). Anyone ever have that happen? Luckily the racquet shop that strung it said they'll redo it for free.

tarheelbornjohn
06-11-2004, 11:19 AM
It can happen. I would think that one of the groment holes may be bad, defective spot on string, or damaged string during stringing. Did the string break or the tie-off come undone?

perfmode
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
They probably burned the mains.

David Pavlich
06-11-2004, 06:50 PM
First of all, kudos for the shop that you use to have the integrity to do it over for free. It's one thing to redo a Stamina job, but a VS job...ouch.

My guess is that if it didn't break at a bad grommet, the stringer severely kinked it. Gut hates kinks. He could have nicked it when he cut the little retainer. Or as already stated, he may have overtightened a knot.

David

christo
06-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Switch to poly, save money, play just as well

David Pavlich
06-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Switch to poly, save money, play just as well

I think that before you give advice about strings, you should first get a little history.

What if this person that strings with gut has a bad elbow? Maybe he's not a string popper and wants the power and tension holding ability of gut. Maybe he likes the soft feel of gut and not the boardy feel of poly. If any of these scenarios is true, then poly would be a poor choice.

David