PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex Laver SX

iscottius
06-11-2004, 11:13 AM
I hit with this today for a few minutes, liked it a lot power level, control, serve.

If any plays this racquet, I would like to hear thier review. Is it essentially a babolat Pure Drive? how is it on your arm?

Gaines Hillix
06-11-2004, 11:23 AM
KW Moose really likes this one. I use the standard length version and have enjoyed playing with it. It has surprising control for a midplus, sub 12 oz. frame. Good serve/volley stick, very stable for its weight. I hit better with a PS 6.0 95 when I'm on, but I always fall back to the Laver S.

netman
06-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Used both S & SX. Hate to blame the racquet, but did develop a very sore arm and shoulder after using the SX for three matches. Only have had this problem with light, stiff racquets. I guess the SX didn't mesh well with my style of game. Too bad because it is a great S&V frame. You could knock the fuzz off the ball on serves, volleys and overheads and almost never miss your spot.

Tried the 5g and 7g and ended up with the 5g. No pain, great frame.

iscottius
06-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Netman, Gaines,
Thanks for the feedback, will try it again for a longer period, first impressions were great, but worried about arm trouble

iscottius

K. Wilson Moose
06-12-2004, 07:16 AM
I've not had any arm problems with the Laver SX and believe it plays much flexier that its stiffness rating, as it tapers down to 17.5 mm in the throat area. As stated by the other guys, this is an excellent S&V racquet, great on serves, volleys and overheads. It also produces nice spin off the ground. I can really rip my 2 hander off the backhand side with this one. Good luck and hope it works for you.

iscottius
06-13-2004, 03:34 AM
Moose,Gaines,

what string & tension do you string your Laver s/sx at ? I noticed thst the laver's tension ranges are on the high side

58-68 what plays best?

K. Wilson Moose
06-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Plays really nice with a multi string. I've tried Technfibre TRC 16, Alpha Gut 2000, and Technifibre E-Matrix with good success. I string the SX around midpoint, 63 or 64 lbs.

TommyGun
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
The Laver is made in the same molds as used for the Pure Drive.

After speaking to a rep at Kennex, Babolat bought the molds from Kennex a couple of years ago and uses the same design. Both racquets are made in the same overseas factory.

tg

iscottius
06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Based on Tommy Gun's last post has anyone checked to see if the PD Woofer Grommets will fit in a Laver SX?

iscottius

TommyGun
06-15-2004, 05:43 AM
It's 50-50. The hole drilling may be different.

I used to work for a materials company, and have a long relationship with the guys at Kennex. After talking to them about many things, this was one I asked because the specs were identical to the Pure Drive, and it looked just like it. At the time kennex was focusing on the Core Technology, and was looking at the Kinetic line for all other frames. When the Babolat marketing and frames started to gain share, Kennex essentially re-invigorated the frame, gave it the Laver name, and packaged it.

Per Scott Lord, Kennex, a decision was made to package it with Technifibre string and a bag, so it cost more then it should.

The Kennex model is clearly much cheaper then the Pure Drive. if you use or want a Pure Drive, and can live without it looking like the one roddick uses, then get the Kennex Laver. You won't be sorry, and neither will your wallet!

iscottius
06-15-2004, 07:04 AM
I ordered my SX today should have it in a couple of days, thanks for the info

iscottius

Steve H.
06-15-2004, 08:21 AM
waitaminute -- they may both be graphite/kevlar, look similar and have similar specs but the Pure Drive can't be made from the same mold as the Laver S or SX -- the beam thicknesses are very different! The PD is 22mm at the throat, and the Laver S and SX are 17.5.

FWIW I like the Laver much better, and agree with Moose -- with a soft string it's especially nice.

TommyGun
06-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Because Babolat made slight changes to the molds over the years, and because even though it may say 22mm, measure it. Varies alot sometimes.

When Babolat bought the molds, its not like they bought every mold. As a materials engineer I can tell you that you can use the same mold and get quite a variation in manufacturing depending on a lot of variables you control.

I got it straight from Kennex. Same basic racquet. Remember, Kennex still is the largest manufacturer of graphite items in the world, and control or have arrangements with almost every big company or overseas maker.

Steve H.
06-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Hmm -- not likely to get a 25% variation out of the same mold. But they do look similar, to be sure: a more likely scenario might be that PK sold Babolat a prototyped model for a real stiff graphite/kevlar frame, Babs woofed it up and the rest is history.

Steve Huff
06-16-2004, 10:26 AM
The woofer grommets wouldn't fit the Laver as the holes on a Laver are drilled differently. I've strung both. The PD has holes drilled parallel to the length. The Laver has holes conventionally strung, perpendicular to the frame. So, even if the holes are the same distance apart. they wouldn't work.

iscottius
06-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Played my first match with the SX, strung with Babolat fiber tour at 63. Awesome serving racquet, flat & Kick-speed-placement-spin.

The racquet has alot of power, but offers effortless spin to offset the ball going long. Lots of topspin, and nice punch volley power & control.

the power & control of a pure drive +, without the woofer technology (which is only effective on full swings) & w/o the harshness on the arm. The feel is crisp & live

Overall I am very pleased and will order more.