PDA

View Full Version : LaserFibre MS200TT clamps with less "drawback"

Fortylove
06-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Which LaserFibre clamps have the less "drawback" on the MS200TT? Single or double action?

5.0 TopDog
06-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Single is the way to go if you got the extra cash. You won't have to worry about locking your clamp's base.

SunDog
06-11-2004, 09:39 PM
the single action clamps work on the principle of drawback - so they should inhearantly have more. most of the drawback is taken out on the next pull on any machine. i would imagine that you can also minimize the effects of drawback on a single action machine by setting the clamp in the drawn back position before you clamp the string.

i have the double action clamps - but am thinking about trying singles when i send them back for the warranty refurb.

HT
06-11-2004, 11:58 PM
the single action clamps work on the principle of drawback - so they should inhearantly have more. most of the drawback is taken out on the next pull on any machine. i would imagine that you can also minimize the effects of drawback on a single action machine by setting the clamp in the drawn back position before you clamp the string.

i have the double action clamps - but am thinking about trying singles when i send them back for the warranty refurb.

I also thought about upgrading my double action clamps, so I contact Tim Sullivan about it. He said to upgrade, it will require a new turntable base w/single action glide rails and clamp bases. It would not need clamps or a mounting system since they are the same. The cost would be $325.

That's little too much extra for convenient of stringing.

SunDog
06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
eeek

waterpro
06-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Man for $325, just sell yours and get a new one. I have the single action ones and as noted above, if you draw the clamp back a bit to begin with you have virtually no drawback. I haven't had any experiences with double actions clamps, but these single ones rock!

!Tym
06-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Guys, one tip that will make your double actions glide smooth as silk, literally like on ice, absoletly like no resistence and riding on thing air...silicone spray not just the glide rail, but also where the clamp swivels...spray the silicone spray in between the black base and the silver swiveling base. The result is truly dramatic, this makes by far the biggest difference in how easily your clamps ride against the glide rail.

With this simple procedure, I sincerely question how much easier the single actions would be to use. I've tried messing around with the Technifibre single action clamps, which are said to move around even more smoothly than the Laserfibre single actions; but this silicone spray trick results in an even smoother and more tolerance free ride.

Also if you want, you can silicone spray the light switch knob, and it'll go up and down with less effort...not that it's hard...in particular, you will notice that the switch flicks down with just a nudge, very smooth.

By the way, it should not be costing you $325 to upgrade to the single actions. Tim Sullivan qouted me at $100 both on the phone and through e-mail.

With that said, I've decided to stick with my double actions.

BTW, the only clamps that really have no drawback are the Babolat Sensors. Those clamps do not move AT ALL from what I've been told and seen in person, it's truly amazing. This results in about a 2 to 3 pound tighter string job than any other constant pull machine. Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable.

The Laserfibre clamps do not crush the string or slip, they are incredibly gentle on the strings. Their flaws are not having finger tip adjustment, being a little too fat and a little too wide, just a little too big in general, and moderate drawback. This is an acceptable amount of drawback. If you want a machine with truly no drawback, fork over the MEGA dollars for the Babolat Sensor, haha.

Drawback should not be your concern when deciding between the single action and double action clamps.

In general though, the single action clamps would be more convenient for the crosses, as there would be no swiveling involved, just push 'em on down the line. On the mains, however, the double actions would be more intuitive and move more naturally, here the swiveling would be a good thing.

Other than that, there's nothing really wrong with either, and I wouldn't go so far as to say the single actions are better or worth upgrading to.

I get the distinct feeling that many of those who prefer the single action clamps, have not tried siliconing the swiveling mechanism of the doubles. If they did, they would be shocked at how tolerance free these clamps move, more so than the Babolat Star III and Gamma clamps I've fooled around with...noticeably so, in fact.

BTW, I've read from Albert Lee that double action clamps are preferable to single actions in that the pressure exerted by clamping the base is more consistent, the same every time, vs. single action ones which rely on the strength of the tensioned pull to cause the base to jam.

Also, Michael Chaho has stated that he prefers the double actions over the singles, because they're easier to clamp the top cross on some 18x20 patterns where the top cross is unusually high, and also because he felt they were slightly more accurate/secure (don't know about this).

All stated, just silicone spray the swiveling base, and I think you'll begin to question as did I whether the single actions are really sooo much more desireable, if at all.

Also, Thomas Martinez prefers and uses the doubles, and he's a pro tour stringer and MRT tester.

Food for thought. You can't go wrong with either, and I do not feel that one should be more expensive than the other as it implies that one is better than the other. Before, they used to be the same price, and there wasn't this class distinction between the two that there is now.

As far as drawback goes, I used to think it wouldn't make a difference if it were minimal and pulled out in the next pull, but I no longer believe this...because of the ensuing grommet friction. Why I did not consider this before, I do not know.

All in all though, I just could never ever justify buying a Babolat Sensor unless I owned a BUSY pro shop or became an overnight millionaire.

HT
06-26-2004, 10:34 PM
!Tym,

Where can I purchase the silicone spray? Does Home Depot sells them? I like my double action just fine, but I'll probably send the clamps back for a tune-up at the end of this year. Great post! Thanks!

!Tym
06-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Home Depot, any auto parts store, or any Target, K-Mart, Walmart, or drug store...basically anywhere, including your local gas station. Silicone spray is a VERY common item and can be found/bought virtually anywhere.

mr. stevo
06-27-2004, 09:09 PM
silicone spray = wd40? is that the same stuff?

coach
07-06-2004, 01:04 PM
WD 40 is both a lubricant and a solvant, as a solvant I wouldn't let it near your strings.

HT
07-06-2004, 01:38 PM
K Mart has the silicone spray, I just got one for my MS200tt. Don't go to HD, they don't carry them.