PDA

View Full Version : Rios set to Play the Senior Tour

Grigollif1
02-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Marcelo Rios is set to join the lights of Join John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Goran etc..in the Champions Tour. It Is going to be Fun to see the Chino Play again with some great players. The funny thing about this Champions Tour is that a few year ago it was Composed of mostly Older generation players Such a Borg, Connors, Villas who were mainly in their late 40...

Today is almost Like a (B) ATP Tour with a lot of younger players in their early Thirties, some of them younger then Agassi. I am looking forward to see Pete Sampras playing in there, I miss watching his graceful Game style.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9216304/rss

Shabazza
02-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Rios comming back on court, yay!! :D

Tommy's Girl
02-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Let's just hope he's grown as a person and is not the same mean nasty guy he once was.

Ripper
02-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Marcelo Rios is set to join the lights of Join John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Goran etc..in the Champions Tour. It Is going to be Fun to see the Chino Play again with some great players. The funny thing about this Champions Tour is that a few year ago it was Composed of mostly Older generation players Such a Borg, Connors, Villas who were mainly in their late 40...

Today is almost Like a (B) ATP Tour with a lot of younger players in their early Thirties, some of them younger then Agassi. I am looking forward to see Pete Sampras playing in there, I miss watching his graceful Game style.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9216304/rss

Is there a minimum age? Like 30? Or is it enough to be, oficially, retired from the ATP, no matter if you're 20? Does someone know?

Btw, great to see "El Chino" back in action!

Ripper
02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Is there a minimum age? Like 30? Or is it enough to be, oficially, retired from the ATP, no matter if you're 20? Does someone know?

Just read the article. It says:

"The Champions Tour is for retired ATP players who had been ranked No. 1, reached a Grand Slam singles final, or played singles on a winning Davis Cup team. Each event can also invite two wildcards."

But still, there should be an age limit, don't you think? Since it has been showed that you can be competetive in the ATP until your late 30s, I'd say a good age limit would be 40... Hummm, but, then, we wouldn't be able to see "El Chino" back in action for a lot of time. So, better leave it as it is, lol!

Andres
02-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Not only Rios, but the Tour's #1, Goran ;)

Grigollif1
02-09-2006, 08:02 AM

Look at this stats:

Retired Champions tour

Jim Courier Born 17-Aug-70

Goran Ivanesavic 13-Sep-71

Todd Martin 8-Jul-70

The older of them all Andre Agassi still playing in the ATP tour born in 29-Apr-70.

babbette
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
does anyone know when andre will join?:confused:

Shabazza
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't see him joining in the next few years, if this is his last season. He might be fed up with competitive tennis for a while, after 20+ years on the court, I sure would. But then again, it would help his foundation and charity work....

legolas
02-09-2006, 12:17 PM
rios on court again, nice

Shaolin
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Great to see him back, such an amazing talent. It would be a dream come true to see him play McEnroe.

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Great to see him back, such an amazing talent. It would be a dream come true to see him play McEnroe.

I was thinking the same thing. Hope Rios puts in a good effort though, Mac seems very serious everytime he steps on court!

Geezer Guy
02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
"The Champions Tour is for retired ATP players who had been ranked No. 1, reached a Grand Slam singles final, or played singles on a winning Davis Cup team. Each event can also invite two wildcards."

I've heard that the minimum age is 35, and that you have to have been retired from the Pro tour for a certain number of years.

I don't know why it has to be geared towards Singles players though. Seems like it should be open to either Singles or Doubles players that meet similar qualifications.

Moose Malloy
02-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't know why it has to be geared towards Singles players though. Seems like it should be open to either Singles or Doubles players that meet similar qualifications.

Why, do you miss watching Patrick Galbraith/Grant Connell? Bet they could still draw a crowd;)

pound cat
02-09-2006, 04:31 PM
OK, Grant Connell....Canadian...

Where is Patrick Galbraith from? I must admit I don't know a thing about him, just as most would not have a clue about Grant Connell.

HELP!

pound cat
02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Rios..so glad I saw him play...v. Safin. He said his greatest regreat in leaving tennis was that his young daughter never saw him play. Well, she's older and he's older. so it may happen. Ole Marcelo! One of a kind.

BabolatFan
02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe in a couple of years...Andre might play his last US open this year. It's only a rumor.

Shabazza
02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Maybe in a couple of years...Andre might play his last US open this year. It's only a rumor.
It's been a rumor for a couple of years now. ;)
But to be honest I don't see him playing the USO next year!

Rusedski Fan
02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Maybe Rios can dump a few matches on the Seniors Tour.

dmastous
02-09-2006, 06:56 PM
He'll either have learned his lesson (wasting such talent in his youth) or he'll be the same brat he was as a youth.
I'd guess he'll have learned and will be a beast on the senior tour. Certainly the freshest legs, having not logged near as much miles as the rest.

bcaz
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Rios, playing seniors, at age 30??? What a miserable bald-faced way to pick up a few bucks ... I'd rather see him scamming rich widows at the club for "lessons" ... So much for you dudes who tout him as one of the greatest talents ever ... the talent to chronically defy belief that he can fly even lower.

D. Nelson
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
......but how do you REALLY feel.....OUCH !!!!

rfprse
02-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Yes, finally. It would be great. :D

ximian
02-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Michael Chang will also be playing competitively for the 1st time again. That'll be sweet!!

tennisadict
02-10-2006, 12:03 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Rios cant wait to see him playing again

tennisadict
02-10-2006, 12:03 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Rios cant wait to see him playing again

oscar_2424
02-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Does anybody knows which network brings the senior matches?

Rabbit
02-10-2006, 07:04 AM
The Tennis Channel carries some.

cruzersi99
02-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Rios, playing seniors, at age 30??? What a miserable bald-faced way to pick up a few bucks ... I'd rather see him scamming rich widows at the club for "lessons" ... So much for you dudes who tout him as one of the greatest talents ever ... the talent to chronically defy belief that he can fly even lower.

Do you really think any of the guys on the senior tour are doing it for money????:rolleyes:

Max G.
02-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Do you really think any of the guys on the senior tour are doing it for money????:rolleyes:

Some might be. The guys that squandered their fame and wealth, and now need more. Rios certainly might be one of those.

Moose Malloy
02-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Ivanisevic is bankrupt, definitely doing it for the money.
Considering how little Rios enjoyed playing on the regular tour, I can't imagine he isn't doing it for the money.

rmsblue
02-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Wow... you guys are just piling it on with the cynicism here. Give the guys a break. They may be doing it for the money, but who isnt? Every working stiff (like myself) is. We have to, that's the way this world works.

But that shouldnt take away from our enjoyment ot the game. I'd watch this bunch of oldies like Rios, Ivanisevic, McEnroe any time rather than some of the mindless ball-bashers that the ATP/WTA are churning out these days. I myself cant wait for Rios, JMac to get it on - tantrums and all - on the tennis court.

I honesly think its their hunger for competition thats making them do it. The weekend warriors on this board should understand this, the guys who every Monday start looking forward to their match next weekend.

dennis1188
02-10-2006, 01:20 PM
As J.McEnroe, is now playing ATP events at AO'06 (?) and SAP '06 (doubles). Seems he is no longer 'retired frm ATP tour'. Is he able still to play seniors tour events, because he is over 45 yrs.old? Can Agassi, play in both seniors and ATP tour events, at age 45 (if he was inclined to)?

RiosTheGenius
02-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Some might be. The guys that squandered their fame and wealth, and now need more. Rios certainly might be one of those.
you and all those tools who are saying that Marcelo is doing it for the money certainly not know what you're talking about. Rios and his family were loaded before he even became a tennis player, he owns properties everywhere, restaurants, hotels, among others.... the guy doesn't have to work one more day again, he's playing the senior tour because he wants to be around the game again.
don't make statements if you don't know the player's background.

RiosTheGenius
02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Let's just hope he's grown as a person and is not the same mean nasty guy he once was.
mean and nasty?... he just minded his own business that's all.

35ft6
02-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Wow... you guys are just piling it on with the cynicism here. Give the guys a break.Seriously. Rios made nearly 10 million in prize money, and probably at least that in endorsements. I know 15 to 25 million in America doesn't seem like a lot to some people, but I bet it goes a long way in Chile.

Say what you will about Rios, but his love for tennis bordered on the fanatical. He was a guy who would go alone to watch whole matches that had nothing to do with him. I think it was meeting with the press, kissing corporate butt, and having to be nice to every person who came up to you that got to him. People who really know him said he was a nice guy and I remember reading a locker room attendant saying that Rios was one of the nicest and most generous players around.

Anyway, he's voluntarily coming back to play the Senior Tour. Think about it: he doesn't HAVE to come back. He's set for life. I don't think he's hurting for a few more tens of thousands.

True tennis fans know that this is a gift. Rios is the most talented "could have been" of the past 10 years. This is a second chance for everybody in tennis. For Rios and the fans.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Some might be. The guys that squandered their fame and wealth, and now need more. Rios certainly might be one of those.And some miss the roar of the crowd, the buzz, the ego stroking. The competition.

I've had no interest in the Senior Tour - but if they do start to attract some of the younger, retired ATP players I might give it a look.

timeyer
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Really the issue is age and competitiveness. It wasn't too long ago that Rios was thrashing an in-form Agassi at Indian Wells (not sure about that, it may have been the Lipton).

30-33 year old men should be able to compete with 24 year olds. Especially guys like Rios who haven't been competing in awhile. Will Rios' and Macs 17 year age difference be noticed? I would think so.

35 should be the absolute minimum for any "seniors" tour, and i think 37 or 40 could be appropriate as well.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Really the issue is age and competitiveness. It wasn't too long ago that Rios was thrashing an in-form Agassi at Indian Wells (not sure about that, it may have been the Lipton).

30-33 year old men should be able to compete with 24 year olds. Especially guys like Rios who haven't been competing in awhile. Will Rios' and Macs 17 year age difference be noticed? I would think so.

35 should be the absolute minimum for any "seniors" tour, and i think 37 or 40 could be appropriate as well.Welcome to the board.

Just so you know the ATP website (and WTA site too) do a good job of giving 'head to head' data - here's your answer - definitely wasn't Indian Wells and they split in Miami:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Agassi%2C+Andre&player2=Rios%2C+Marcelo&playernum2=R286

RiosTheGenius
02-13-2006, 09:00 AM

35 should be the absolute minimum for any "seniors" tour, and i think 37 or 40 could be appropriate as well.
yes. Marcelo Rios is only 30 but, he has a lower back problem that leaves him in severe pain for days after he plays competitive matches. that's why he decided to retire. He said he can still kick butt and pass a few rounds at any ATP tourney, but he's no Rochus or Clement... he doesn't play to earn some points and cash, he plays tournaments to win them and his back just can't handle a n entire week of ATP level tennis.
that's why the senior tour is a good alternative for someone like him.... he just loves tennis but his body gave up.

tkramer15
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Rios beat Agassi convincingly in straight sets in the 1998 Miami final to become number one in the world. His addition to the Senior Tour continues the re-emergence of so many of the greats from the 1990s. I'm looking forward to a Rios - Muster matchup on clay, though I'm afraid Muster (my favorite) might have a tough time.

EsteroTennis
02-13-2006, 12:34 PM

A few years ago....you had to be at least 35 years old.......I'm not sure if that age requirement is still enforced ?

johnathan smith
02-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I doubt money has anything to do with it at all in Rios' case.
He comes from a VERY wealthy family and invested his tour money wisely. Maybe he just enjoys playing??

oscar_2424
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
who cares about Rios reason to play, lets just enjoy his tennis once more

rfprse
02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
who cares about Rios reason to play, lets just enjoy his tennis once more
Absolutely.

VAmazona
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
The "seniors" tour is shaping up to be a little more intriguing than the 11 month clinic that is the ATP, at least for those longing for another glimpse.

bcaz
02-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Then let him go to the ATP. My back hurts like hell, too -- several degenerative disks -- and I still have to play guys in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to play in a league at my level, and I'm in my 50s. So if Rios beats a guy like JMac, pushing 50, off the tour for almost 15 years, or even Courier, late 30s, off the tour for about 8 years, really shouldn't be playing seniors, either, what has he done? It's like a bully beating up little kids because he can. Let him go out and play Agassi and Henman if he wants to pick on guys his own size. What about the real seniors? Who should they play?

The head pro at our club has more than 50 gold balls. He's in his late 50s and been top 5 ITF/USTA for most of his career in his age group. He stopped playing open tournaments a couple of years ago. Now he plays in the 30s or 35s to be in regional competition. Maybe Marcelo could find a game against guys his own age, or younger ... don't his fans consider him one of the very best talents ever?

35ft6
02-14-2006, 06:03 AM
^ What does your back problems have to do with Rios playing on the senior tour? Anecdotes aside, what's your point? You could just as easily use your post to argue that McEnroe shouldn't be allowed to play on the Seniors Tour.