PDA

View Full Version : Down turn in fortunes...

sexmachine
02-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Something thats been on mind a lot recently. Players like ARod, Hewitt and Safin have heavily underachieved in recent years. Continually being ousted in early rounds, performing poorly, loosing to opponents that they should defeat and putting athletes like federer and Nadal into untouchable positions. Am i the only one who thinks this shouldn't be...? These are pro's, Nadal is especially suseptable.... He can be takin out of stride when things aren't going well. As Haas showed Federer too is a mere mortal.... Things like unforced errors, poorly structured rallies seem to be the downfall of many of the players aspiring for renewed greatness. Please let me know your thoughts....

Brettolius
02-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Why is everyboy still talking about Haas making Federer look "mortal"? HE LOST THE MATCH! And was force fed a bagel in the second set, and when it was crunch time in the fifth, Federer dusted him 6-2. It doesn't really look like Fed was nearly beaten, it looks more like he gets bored trouncing guys the first two sets, lost focus, and stepped it up when he needed to.

thn
02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
because haas was the toughest opponent in the AO for him and the fifth set was decided by 3-4 nice points by roger, although the 6-2 looks like haas was dusted. so, please watch the game more carefully brettolius than reading a written pro-federer report afterwards. 8]

norcal
02-09-2006, 10:37 AM
sexmachine? You must be one of those 'self operating' ones huh?

Brettolius
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
because haas was the toughest opponent in the AO for him and the fifth set was decided by 3-4 nice points by roger, although the 6-2 looks like haas was dusted. so, please watch the game more carefully brettolius than reading a written pro-federer report afterwards. 8]

Homey, you're from Germany, so you're obviously biased. Second, I have the match DVR'd so I have seen the match. 3-4 points doesn't equal a 6-2 set, admittedly it was a bit closer than the scoreline reads, but what about the second set? Haas did not win the match, so what's your argument? He CRUSHED him the first 2 sets, that much is OBVIOUS, and he apparently lost focus and got bored. Tell me then, what did Haas change in his gameplan? Or was it that Federer went into "shank mode?"

thn
02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Im not biased at all, I think Im pretty objective.
I just wanted to know you this: you are sick of hearing that "haas made federer look mortal stuff", but I am sick of reading that when federer lost a set, he was obviously in energy saving mode? come on dude, why it isnt the same way around, that federer played very well in the beginning and haas made several unforced error in the first two sets?
And btw, there were many 6-0 sets in the whole tournament, its quite usual in a grand slam. if you are 0-4 or 0-5 behind, youll not put any more effort in that set to concentrate on the next ones. for instance the second set between grosjean and kiefer, perhaps you DVRd that too.
And finally, haas was indeed his toughest opponent in the tourney, because he was the only one who gave roger a five setter..

Brettolius
02-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I´m not biased at all, I think I´m pretty objective.
I just wanted to know you this: you are sick of hearing that "haas made federer look mortal stuff", but I am sick of reading that when federer lost a set, he was obviously in energy saving mode? come on dude, why it isn´t the same way around, that federer played very well in the beginning and haas made several unforced error in the first two sets?
And btw, there were many 6-0 sets in the whole tournament, its quite usual in a grand slam. if you are 0-4 or 0-5 behind, you´ll not put any more effort in that set to concentrate on the next ones. for instance the second set between grosjean and kiefer, perhaps you DVR´d that too.
And finally, haas was indeed his toughest opponent in the tourney, because he was the only one who gave roger a five setter..

Good points, but what I'm saying you have to at least beat the dude to say you "made him look mortal", not just take sets off him. At the end of the tourney, Fed's hoding the trophy, Haas is in Delray Beach. Who's gonna remember the how's and why's? In the end, there's a winner and a loser. Furthermore, if this was a regular tourney, Haas' *** would have been long gone because he got the snot beat out of him the first two sets. But hey man, it WAS a great match, so we can agree on that! BTW, welcome to the board!

sexmachine
02-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Although i mentioned federer and haas, it was merely a fleeting mention, federer lost several sets on the way to the win in the AO, but they way he responds is why he's the best, he's the "ice man". But i was wonderin why players like safin(excluding injuries), hewitt and Roddick have been so "average"(by their high standards)....? And i think Nadal is heavily over rated...

Freedom
02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
They've underachieved, I think, because Federer and Nadal have gotten a psychological edge over them, among other things. Safin is psycho and inconsistent anyway, Hewitt's too busy trying to keep the Argentines from killing him, and Roddick has lost his mojo.

Welcome to the boards.

devila
02-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Hewitt's trying very hard, but isn't a great server or shotmaker. Safin's not very fit and has trouble playing many tournaments.
Roddick's not here to win difficult events. He's doing this for his brother, who failed to succeed after a back injury.
Maybe it's why Roddick made him his coach, soon after firing a bunch of inept coaches.

He'd rather play easy matches in the US, as much as possible.
He said the last times he worked long hours were in 1998 and last year.

Today, he had 7 break points. He did nothing.
Instead, he was passive and treated the match like an excuse to party with Americans. He can't care less if he serves stupidly and celebrates for no reason (that distracted him and made him lose serve).

Psychological edge is meaningless when there aren't that many matches played, and poor fitness, injuries, bad coaching and indifference are involved.

sexmachine
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks devilla and freedom, i think both perspectives have their merit. I think this year nadal will find it a lot harder, and i think Hewitt is going to have a very difficult year. Shame bout safin's temperament he's got such talent... Thanks guys!