PDA

View Full Version : Basic String Types?

kninetik
06-11-2004, 04:00 PM
What are the different types of string available? And if possible, the properties associated with the string. I know 2 basic types that exist. Gut and Syn Gut which is basically nylon. Gut is ultimate playability but is expensive, while syn gut doesn't quite cut it but is extremely cost efficient. However, everyone likes to talk about poly, multifilament etc. Mainly, however, people have been mentioning Luxilon brand strings and thier crazy stiffness that requires you to lower tension and whatnot. What are they classified as?

PHSTennis
06-11-2004, 04:09 PM
They have monoguts, polyesters, kevlars, Luxilon is high quality poly... I like them...

kninetik
06-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I wish to experiment with different types, however not all at once, just one at a time so I have to be a bit picky :wink: What are the properties of each type? Which would hold tension best. What comes close to gut. Thanks

PHSTennis
06-11-2004, 04:16 PM
what comes close to gut I would say Wilson NXT ... thats $12 just use bow brand gut $17 if you want something like gut... I have a stringer...

David Pavlich
06-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Truth be known, there's gut string and there's synthetic string.

Of course, there's the sub-cultures of the synthetics. What we call syngut (Prince w/duraflex, Gamma syngut, Super fine play, etc) have large solid cores and usually a single wrap of filaments around the core.

Strings like Alpha Gut 2000 and Sensation are pure multifilaments with no core. Very soft, but not great at holding tension.

String like NXT have a series of different filaments that aid in softness and holding tension a little better than the pure multi filaments.

The high end stuff like Xcell and Live Wire Professional have very complicated structures of differing filaments. Makes for a soft string and a very good tension holding string.

Then there's the polys...basically weed wacker string...well, not really. Some of the stuff like ALU and Hurricane are hybrid polyester that have a combination of poly and nylon filaments of some sort to give the string a little more resiliency.

Then there's the aramids (kevlar). These are the softest, most arm-friendly of strings. JUST KIDDING!

And you have the textured stuff.

All in all, it makes choosing a string really easy...yea, right.

David

Joe Oldschool
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
If you want to experiment and don't know where to begin, I would suggest you try gut first. Dollar for dollar its the best string there is IMO. Once you have tried it, you will then have a good idea of what you are comparing the others to.

Hybrids are a way to cut the cost (put the gut in the mains), but gut isn't as expensive as people sometimes think. Personally, I like BDE. It's pillowy soft and at $26 makes a reasonable hybrid (with standard synthetic crosses you are talking about a $15-16 dollar string job--that's not bad).

Polys - can't help you there. I just can't bring myself to put that stiff a string into my racquet.

Especially, if you already know the tension range you like, you can begin using gut and probably spend less money in the long run than you would by buying a whole bunch of synthetic gut strings. Synthetics are going to have slight differences between them, but they are mostly a bunch of marketing "smoke and mirrors" to get people to try them.

Bow Brand is an even cheaper version of gut that is supposed to be pretty good. Although I haven't tried it yet. Pacific is priced between Bow and BDE. It's okay, but plays a bit stiff, I think.