PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet for flat ball hitter?

Pushmaster
06-11-2004, 04:56 PM
What are some of the best racquets for a flat ball hitter?
Opinions welcome.

netman
06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Slaz PBH

goober
06-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Wilson T2000

:D

tennisnoob
06-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Wilson PS 85 - Look at Sampras's Eastern Forehand!!!!!

robkat
06-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Head Ti Radical .. Volkl Quantum 10 Tour

drakulie
06-11-2004, 10:07 PM
I agree with tennisnoob. I hit with a eastern-sometimes semi western, and hit the ball extremely flat. Great Control with the PS 85.

kreative
06-11-2004, 10:17 PM
hyper hammer 6.3, original skunk 6.2, hps 5.0, prestige classic

sampras, using the ps 85, hit w/ alot of spin for an eastern grip. he always complained that when his balls were sailing long that he was hitting too flat. in a study, sampras hits w/ more spin than agassi, and several others.

Pushmaster
06-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys for the great recommendations. I agree with kreative that the Prestige Classic is awesome for flat hitters, but mine recently cracked at the throat and I havn't been able to find another one in a 4 5/8 yet. :( I just ordered a Ti. Radical MP based on a brief hitting session. Man, it seemed like no matter how hard I swung the ball stayed in! For some reason it seems like I always hit long with most of the 12+ oz. players racquets that I've tried (HPS 6.1, T10M, ROK, ect.). Although I haven't tried the PS 85 yet because I'm intimidated by the small head size. The PBH is an interesting pick. Keep 'em coming guys!

mcheung
06-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Any 200G from Dunlop is a good choice because of its dense string pattern and low power frames. The smaller headsize (90 sq in) can be too dead sometimes but as long as you have good strings in there and keep the tension not too high then it plays really well.

kreative
06-12-2004, 12:49 AM
ahhhh yes, i agree, max 200g, or mw 200g are great racquets for flat shots as well. if you liked the prestige classic, they're still available, just be patient and hold out. =) ps 85 is a good racquet for flat shots, and the headsize isn't really much smaller than the prestige. if you're still intimidated, try out the ps 6.0 95

Morpheus
06-12-2004, 04:06 AM
It mostly depends on how hard you hit. If you are going to hit the ball on a string like Jimbo, then maybe you need something with a little less power. I hit a very flat, hard ball, and I can hit with almost any racket, so I really don't sort rackets this way.

I do best with rackets that are 11.0 to 11.5 oz, flexible, slightly headlight (+2), and loosely strung (bottom third of the suggested range). Nothing else really matters.

tschevap
06-12-2004, 04:09 AM
IŽll say it again: do not forget the 200G HM! Only because some people here dont rate it as a cult, it is still a great frame, especially for flat balls. But with good techniques youŽll hit great topspin balls, too! Try it as it is a very cheap racket right now...

rich s
06-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Pushmaster the reason you like the Ti Rad MP is that it is relatively light and it has an 18/20 string pattern on a 95sq in head. All of that equals no power hence you can hit it as flat and as hard as you want.

Mike Werblin
06-12-2004, 01:01 PM
I hit pretty flat, especially off the forehand, and I have always found flexible, standard-length, dense string pattern racquets suit me best. I am currently using the Head LM Prestige-Mid strung with Prince Premier Softflex-17g at 55Lbs.

Pushmaster
06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Pushmaster the reason you like the Ti Rad MP is that it is relatively light and it has an 18/20 string pattern on a 95sq in head. All of that equals no power hence you can hit it as flat and as hard as you want.

rich s, there is no question that the Ti.Radical MP is low powered control racquet, but I was able to get pretty good pace off my groundstrokes with it, and more importantly had better control. I was able to swing faster with it to make up for it's lack of weight, it also helped my timing so I wasn't "late" on as many balls. Although I feel like I hit a "heavier" ball with my Tour 10 mid, I didn't feel like I lost any pace with the Ti. Rad. Right now I've been struggling with my control and consistency, and I know that it has very little to do with the racquet, and alot to do with technique. I think the Ti. Radical can help me in that area, until I regain my consistency and confidence, then I can switch back to a heavier racquet.

Fantoro
06-13-2004, 02:59 AM
Just switched from PD+ to i prestige. Let me tell you that if you want to hit a flat ball, that is THE stick to do it with...

tennisnoob
06-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Looks like Drakulie and I have something in common, we both love the PRO STAFF 85!!!! Absolutely the greatest control racket i've tried after so many years of playing! Even when i get tired during a match, i am able to just swing and hit really flat out forehands without any body rotation with plenty of pace & depth. Maybe the lead tape helped as well....

06-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Fischer ProExtreme FT or Yonex RD Ti 70 98

Pushmaster
06-14-2004, 03:28 PM
I do best with rackets that are 11.0 to 11.5 oz, flexible, slightly headlight (+2), and loosely strung (bottom third of the suggested range). Nothing else really matters.
Morpheus, can you name names? Does string pattern matter at all to you?

Morpheus
06-14-2004, 04:54 PM
If you can find one, try out the Volkl C8 Pro. It's light and flexy with an 18x20 pattern in a 98si head.

Here are the specs:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-c8pro.html

NoBadMojo
06-14-2004, 05:39 PM
i have one C8 pro left strung w. bow brand gut if anyone is interested. have no idea why it would necessarily be recommended for a flat ball hitter though unles they are interested in learning to hit w. more spin. i could spin the ball like crazy w. it..its a sweet bat IMO....light and flexy like Morpheus sez and more evenly balanced...it hits a quick ball but not a heavy ball IMO. ed

Tomek
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Head i.prestige mid. If you are good enough for it...

ontherise17
06-17-2004, 04:10 PM
i hit a very flat ball with a semi western grip and my diablo mid is perfect for hitting flat balls hard and still having excelent control with it!

Morpheus
06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
I have no idea why it would necessarily be recommended for a flat ball hitter though unles they are interested in learning to hit w. more spin. i could spin the ball like crazy w. it..its a sweet bat IMO....light and flexy like Morpheus sez and more evenly balanced...it hits a quick ball but not a heavy ball IMO. ed

I hit my forehand flat, but like to spin my 1 handed BH (slice or top) and hit a big hop serve. The C8 meets all of these needs, and it quick at net too, since it weighs in at 11 ounces.