PDA

View Full Version : attending first tournament

std84
02-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey everyone- I am a developing tennis fanatic. I plan on attending my first pro tournament this year in the US. Do you have any pointers as to which ones are the best and hints for buying tickets, plus anything else you have learned from your tourn. attendance. Thanks.

ACE of Hearts
02-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Where are u from?The Pacific Life Open-Indian Wells is fast approaching.Its in California.

std84
02-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey. Yeah, I know, I would love to go, but the only tickets available ( for the semis and final weekend) are up in the stadium/upper bowl. I'm just wondering what the experience is like in the high seats- is it still enjoyable? Thanks.

tykrum
02-10-2006, 11:19 AM
At Indian Wells, you can't really get lower bowl tickets unless you are with some corporation. The enitre upper bowl really makes no difference where you sit. It's worth it, but the really cool part about going to pro tournaments is watching them practice and play up close on outer courts. I watched a total of three matches in three days in the main stadium when I went. I would highly recommend it by the way, it was better than Montreal or Indy or probably the US Open.

Fee
02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas looks like it could be interesting. New venue, decent entry list, 'smallish' tournament. Los Angeles is usually a decent tournament in July. The main stadium isn't that big and almost every seat is a good seat.

Freedom
02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Upper bowl seats probably suck. But, it's probably worth going to see the matches on the outer courts and the practice courts. The US Open rules.

JMO.

andfor
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
You'd be hard pressed to get any closer to the players than you can at Memphis. For matches, practice and in the facility much of the time you are within feet of the players and play.

DXS
02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
You'd be hard pressed to get any closer to the players than you can at Memphis. For matches, practice and in the facility much of the time you are within feet of the players and play.

I've been thinking about getting tickets for Memphis. It's only a short drive, plus Ginepri should come out of his little slump I would think.

-ds

pound cat
02-10-2006, 02:46 PM
The best time to go are the first 4 days...then all the players are still there. Then you watch the semi's and the final on TV.

Sunscreen.

Max G.
02-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I agree with Poundcat.

The best tournament experience is when you go on one of the early days, first couple of rounds. Preferably get a day when both singles and doubles will be played. On the outside courts, you can get really good seats, close to the action.

When I did that, I could move around between matches - stay for a set here, a set there. It works best when you know a little bit about some of the lower-ranked players that'll be playing on those courts, so you can pick the matches you think will be good.

pound cat
02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
And if you go to a Masters' Series, you'll fnd all good players.

barry
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Best tournamnet period is the http://www.nasdaq100open.com/

Great weather, nice seating, and nice area. It is my favorite.

MARK ANDERS
02-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Go to the qualies (Wed. & Thur) and next 3-4 days at IW, buy the cheapest tix they have, at the box, they NEVER sell out, and don't even go in the stadium because there are TONS of good matches on the sidecourts and 2 grandstands where you can sit very close pretty much wherever you want.

Also, you can see all the pros practicing right up close and they will play serious sets. Watch the latter rounds on tv, better then way up high in the bowl, and after 4-6 days you will be "tennised out"

This has been my modis operandi for the last 8 years.

andfor
02-11-2006, 05:27 AM
The best time to go are the first 4 days...then all the players are still there. Then you watch the semi's and the final on TV.

Sunscreen.

I would agree and add that for the junkies the first Sunday, the last day of qualies is pretty good. With qualies you sit where ever you want in the stadium. Tickets for Qualifying are general admission and cheap. At Memphis they have a Stadium and two Grandstand courts. The Grandstands are GA with your ticket, you can sit about 8-10 ft. from the reciever on the front row, if you want. As the qualifying finishes up on Sunday the main draw guys/girls start to come out to practice later in the day.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Go to the qualies (Wed. & Thur) and next 3-4 days at IW, buy the cheapest tix they have, at the box, they NEVER sell out, and don't even go in the stadium because there are TONS of good matches on the sidecourts and 2 grandstands where you can sit very close pretty much wherever you want.

Also, you can see all the pros practicing right up close and they will play serious sets. Watch the latter rounds on tv, better then way up high in the bowl, and after 4-6 days you will be "tennised out"

This has been my modis operandi for the last 8 years.Pretty much my strategy too, except I go the 1st Monday or Tuesday. At first I too wouldn't go into the Stadium Court - but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. But there's plenty going on outside to make it a great day for around $50 bucks (ground pass, parking, and gas) - I enjoy the practice sessions too.

LN_Dad
02-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Los Angeles is usually a decent tournament in July. The main stadium isn't that big and almost every seat is a good seat.

True but one year I was unlucky enough to get a seat behind a big pole.:(