PDA

View Full Version : Andre Agassi v.s. Scoville Jenkins at SAP Open

Bones08
02-10-2006, 01:28 PM
First Round Match, I can't wait for this one. Scoville just won a challenger and Andre is a legend, but he's coming off an injury. There could be an upset here.

Fee
02-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Scoville won a Futures event, for which he was the first seed. Last weekend, he lost in the first round of qualies for the Dallas Challenger (he was the #1 seed in the qualie draw).

Here's the entire main draw:

(1)RODDICK, Andy USA v GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP
DLOUHY, Lukas CZE v CARLSEN, Kenneth DEN
SAULNIER, Cyril FRA v PHAU, Bjorn GER
(Q) v (8) KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO

(4)ROBREDO, Tommy ESP v (WC) PHILIPPOUSSIS, Mark AUS
PAVEL, Andrei ROM v SODERLING, Robin SWE
MURRAY, Andy GBR v (WC)FISH, Mardy USA
WANG, Yeu-Tzuoo TPE v (5) BLAKE, James USA

(7) TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS v BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
ARTHURS, Wayne AUS v REYNOLDS, Bobby USA
JOHANSSON, Joachim SWE v (Q)
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA v (3)HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

(6)HANESCU, Victor ROM v (Q)
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER v VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL
(Q) v SPADEA, Vincent USA
(WC)JENKINS, Scoville USA v (2)AGASSI, Andre USA

Moose Malloy
02-10-2006, 01:34 PM
What's Mac's doubles draw like?

Marius_Hancu
02-10-2006, 01:35 PM
it's like the Davis C teams of several countries moved over there:-)

Kaptain Karl
02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
$20 on Andre.

- KK

Fee
02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Doubles draw won't be done until after 6 pm on Saturday evening.

Moose Malloy
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Doubles draw won't be done until after 6 pm on Saturday evening.

Cool. Do you know if any top teams are entered? It would be a shame if Mac draws them early...

Kobble
02-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Jenkins will likely get beat. He has a pretty big serve, but that is about all I have seen out of him.

D. Nelson
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
....geez....I see a BUNCH of good 'looking' matches !!!! And some upsets...guaranteed......

Fee
02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Cool. Do you know if any top teams are entered? It would be a shame if Mac draws them early...

Nobody's really 'entered' yet, it depends on who signs in on Saturday. The following teams will probably show up:

Aspelin/Perry, Goldstein/Thomas, Kerr/Parrott, Levinsky/ Lindstedt

Bones08
02-10-2006, 02:27 PM
He has a big serve, very good new kick second that he developed, and a huge forehand. He had so many winners off that forehand against Nadal at the Open.

vllockhart
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow. I hope I get to see this match. I was at the US Open last year for Scoville's first round match. I stayed around for almost 3 hours, but I left I think in the fifth set when he was down. The crowd was going bananas, every Black person on the grounds was in those stands. We were screaming "Let's Go Sco!"

I was too emotionally drained and had to go home when it looked like he might lose. Low and behold, I get home and get online and I see that he won. I was too angry with myself for not sticking it out. Some support figure I am. I get too involved in these matches.

Fee
02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
They've already scheduled the match on the tournament website. It will be the featured night match on Monday. :)

MonkeyPox
02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I got tickets to see McEnroe play. Come on old man!

Bones08
02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
God I can't believe I'm going against Andre, but I want Scoville to win. He's 19, and this could put him in a better place if he wins.

ACE of Hearts
02-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I like Agassi taking Jenkins to school, a little tennis 101!

Bones08
02-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't think he'll be taking him to school. It depednds on which one of them both show up. If Andre loses, I wonder what his mind will tell him. It's interesting to know how the man thinks about things now.

legolas
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I got tickets to see McEnroe play. Come on old man!
lol

troytennisbum
02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Anyone can beat anyone on any given day on the men's tour these days. With that common knowledge in mind, I wouldn't even consider it an upset if Scoville wins.

edberg505
02-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Scoville won a Futures event, for which he was the first seed. Last weekend, he lost in the first round of qualies for the Dallas Challenger (he was the #1 seed in the qualie draw).

Here's the entire main draw:

(1)RODDICK, Andy USA v GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP
DLOUHY, Lukas CZE v CARLSEN, Kenneth DEN
SAULNIER, Cyril FRA v PHAU, Bjorn GER
(Q) v (8) KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO

(4)ROBREDO, Tommy ESP v (WC) PHILIPPOUSSIS, Mark AUS
PAVEL, Andrei ROM v SODERLING, Robin SWE
MURRAY, Andy GBR v (WC)FISH, Mardy USA
WANG, Yeu-Tzuoo TPE v (5) BLAKE, James USA

(7) TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS v BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
ARTHURS, Wayne AUS v REYNOLDS, Bobby USA
JOHANSSON, Joachim SWE v (Q)
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA v (3)HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

(6)HANESCU, Victor ROM v (Q)
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER v VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL
(Q) v SPADEA, Vincent USA
(WC)JENKINS, Scoville USA v (2)AGASSI, Andre USA

Yay, good to see the big serving Swede (Pim Pim) back in action.

go_nadal
02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Looks like a good draw.... I havent seen JJ around for a while i hope he does good in this tourny...

superman1
02-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, Agassi better whomp that *** because I've got tickets for the semis and finals, and Agassi seems to have an easy road to meet perhaps Hewitt in the semis. It all depends on how these guys are feeling right now...Agassi didn't look good in Delray Beach, Hewitt looked terrible in the Aussie Open, so I hope they've pulled it together. I'm sure Andre has.

Bones08
02-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Hewitt might play Joachim, and if Joachim is playing well then he should win that match.

Max G.
02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Hewitt might play Joachim, and if Joachim is playing well then he should win that match.

Joachim is just coming back from a long injury break.

Not only that, but it's was a shoulder injury, so it's going to most affect his best weapon - his serve.

There is NO way in heck that, in his first tournament back, that he's going to be playing "well". Maybe well enough to win a match or two, but I will be VERY surprised if he can beat Hewitt in the later rounds.

superman1
02-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Even if Hewitt isn't playing his best, I see him getting to the semis with Agassi. I see Roddick and Blake on the other end, or Roddick and Robredo. Assuming Roddick is healthy. Damn!

Kaptain Karl
02-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Anyone can beat anyone on any given day on the men's tour these days. With that common knowledge in mind...."Common knowledge???"

I think you could say this for the top 150. But when someone ranked #400 beats a top 50 player ... it's a fluke (or a sign the guy at 300 is about to become significant).

- KK

jamumafa
02-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Anyone know if Agassi / Jenkins is on UK T.V?

Ive looked but Nadda

Fee
02-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Doubt it, there usually aren't cameras in San Jose until Thursday at the earliest. By the way, Joachim has been in San Jose for a few days already, practicing and such. Don't be surprised if he does play well (very well) in his first tournament back.

Fatmike
02-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Scoville... is that a name?

Volly master
02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
not a bad draw. looks interesting.

Volly master
02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
with Mac playing on monday, i'm happy with that haha

Fee
02-11-2006, 01:15 PM
MacEnroe plays on Wednesday. Agassi v Jenkins, Fish v Murray on Monday evening.

Fee
02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Doubles draw: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/424/MDd.pdf

(1)ASPELIN, Simon SWE/PERRY, Todd AUS v.
(WC)JENSEN, Luke USA/JENSEN, Murphy USA

JENKINS, Scoville USA/REYNOLDS, Bobby USA v.
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO/SAULNIER, Cyril FRA

(3)KERR, Jordan AUS/PARROTT, Travis USA v.
DRAGICEVIC, Goran USA/PEHAR, Mirko USA

GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA/THOMAS, Jim USA v.
HAGGARD, Chris RSA/VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL

COETZEE, Jeff RSA/WASSEN, Rogier NED v.
AUCKLAND, James GBR/MURRAY, Andy GBR

DELIC, Amer USA/SPADEA, Vincent USA v.
(4)LEVINSKY, Jaroslav CZE/LINDSTEDT, Robert SWE

DLOUHY, Lukas CZE/VIZNER, Pavel CZE v.
FISHER, Ashley AUS/PHILLIPS, Tripp USA

(WC)BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE/MCENROE, John USA v.
(2)ARTHURS, Wayne AUS/HUSS, Stephen AUS

RadekStepanekTheKing
02-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Letīs go Andre!

Bones08
02-11-2006, 11:18 PM
i JUST HOPE FOR A WELL PLAYED MATCH, AND FOR SCOVILLE TO PLAY UP TO HIS CAPABILITY.

superman1
02-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't know much about these doubles teams, but McEnroe's doubles partner is the best out of that group, and McEnroe himself is one of the best doubles players of all time, so let's go Mac!

Moose Malloy
02-13-2006, 08:29 AM
(WC)BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE/MCENROE, John USA v.
(2)ARTHURS, Wayne AUS/HUSS, Stephen AUS

That's a rough draw.
And the Jensens are playing?

jamauss
02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I'll be at the Agassi/Jenkins match tonight as well. Pretty close up too :)

Does anyone know if they allow cameras in? Is it something where u just can take pics w/ the flash on or not during play? I can't find their camera policy.

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I'll be at the Agassi/Jenkins match tonight as well. Pretty close up too :)

Does anyone know if they allow cameras in? Is it something where u just can take pics w/ the flash on or not during play? I can't find their camera policy.

Agassi pulled out, unfortunately. Scoville will play a lucky loser.

jamauss
02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I just saw that. DANG IT.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/tennis/02/13/agassi.san.jose.ap/index.html

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 09:40 AM

Yes.
It is the name given to the units measuring the "hotness" / pungency of chili peppers.
A jalepeno pepper might have a couple thousand Scoville units...and Thai chili might have over 100,000 Scoville units. A habanero even more. {WARNING: I do not know what I'm talking about...I actually pulled those numbers directly from my butt.}

Yer right, Scoville sounds less like the name of a person than a town....like Greenville, Bienville, Hicksville, etc.

But in these parts, Scoville Jenkins has a pretty cool ring to it. Strong to quite strong Q rating, especially with that hair.

Is it just an anglophone thing to sometimes use a family surname as a child's first name? More common since the seventies. Lots of younger people with two last names nowadays.
i.e. Lleyton Hewitt? Taylor Dent? Hamilton Jordan? Graydon Oliver?

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I just saw that. DANG IT.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/tennis/02/13/agassi.san.jose.ap/index.html

That's gotta be exceedingly disappointing. We all know the chances to see Andre play again are numbered. Hope u have a good time anyway.

jamauss
02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
That's gotta be exceedingly disappointing. We all know the chances to see Andre play again are numbered. Hope u have a good time anyway.
Yeah, and I've never seen him play in person... :(

Oh well...tonight I'll be seeing these 2 matches:

Joachim Johansson (SWE) vs (Q) Sam Warburg (USA)

followed by

Andy Murray (GBR) vs (WC) Mardy Fish (USA)

Funny thing is, I remember when Sam Warburg was a top junior here in NorCal tennis. Saw him play when he was in high school. I saw a couple of his matches during some WTT events and he seems decent. Good to see him qualify for an ATP tournament. I get the feeling Johansson is going to own him, though. :-\

slice bh compliment
02-15-2006, 01:23 AM

It is also his dad's first name.

BaseLineBash
02-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Scoville on Andre:

I was preparing for how big Agassi hits the ball and his fast pace," Jenkins said. "(Rettenmaier) is a totally opposite player, coming to the net more. He played extremely well and volleyed great. I credit him; he made a lot of tough shots.

"Agassi is one of the greatest, and I grew up watching him. I always wanted to play him as a kid. Hopefully, I'll get another shot."