PDA

View Full Version : First Tournament

Fabrice Fan
02-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm finally attending my first tennis tournament. Forgive me if I seem like I'm rambling, but I'm really excited about it! I already have tickets to Indian Wells for March 10-13. I chose that tournament as it's the closest to me. I wanted to make sure I got to see Fabrice play in person before he retires....which I hope is still a long way off, but better safe than sorry!

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some other fans out there might help me with....I'm trying to plan this as carefully as I can, because I have a 3 year old son whom my grandparents have kindly agreed to babysit for me, so my husband and I can attend the tournament....and I'm not really in a situation where I can leave two 80 year old people with a 3 year old child from 9a.m. till midnight!

My goal is to see Fabrice as often as I can, and anybody else will just be a bonus. I realize that the match times are posted...so I should be able to see all of those that are played during my time there....but is there anything that can be done about practices?! Has anyone had any good experiences with employees at IW that are willing to let a person in on when a specific player will be practicing? I know that the players sign up for specific times and courts....and SOMEONE who works there has got to be privvy to that information...it would just be a matter of finding the right person...any suggestions???? Like I said, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to attend each day from start to finish, as I can't leave my grandparents babysitting that long for 4 days straight, so if I could find out when Fabrice had scheduled a practice I could plan my attendance around his matches and practices.

Also, has anyone out there ever met Fabrice before? Gotten an autograph or photo taken with him? He seems so cool, I hope it works out to where my husband and I can meet him. His game is so unique and enjoyable to watch...we are soooo looking forward to this!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. I'm apologize for the fact that it turned out to be so long! I'm just excited, and want to make the best plans that I can. I would really appreciate any advice anyone out there has....you could reply here, or feel free to e-mail me! Thanks again!

Fabrice Fan

ACE of Hearts
02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
One ?, cant u have someone babysit ur kid while u attend Indian Wells or maybe leave him with one of ur family members, an aunt or something.Dont know much about Fabrice but i am sure getting an autograph shouldnt be a problem.Did u see his match against Nalbandian in the australian open?:mrgreen:

pound cat
02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
If you really want to see him, go on either day 1 or day 2, If he doesn't win his first match you may be out of luck (unless he's playing doubles, that is)

Don't know how to meet him..do you who a friend who speaks French?

gully
02-11-2006, 02:10 PM
FWIW, I tried to chat up Fabrice's coach last year during a match in Indy -- with absolutely no luck. Fabrice was looking to his coach after every point, and his coach was pretty obviously communicating with Fabrice with gestures and postures. My conversation with the coach went kind of like this:

"So, are you Fabrice's coach?"

[pause]

"Mmm-hmmm."

"How you think he's holding up out there?"

[longer pause]

"Okay."

[coach moves two feet futher away from me on grandstand bench.]

But anyway, IW is great, the first part of the week is busy with WTA and ATP matches both. Tough to count on seeing any one player for sure, but the favorite match I saw in 03 was Santoro v. Olivier Rochus, a great three-set battle out on an outside court.

See you next month, FF!

pound cat
02-11-2006, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=ACE of Hearts]One ?, cant u have someone babysit ur kid while u attend Indian Wells or maybe leave him with one of ur family members, an aunt or something.QUOTE]

Hell.o. Ace of Heartllessness...do you have a kid aka child? I thought not. Not everyone is lucky enough to have an aunt.."or something" where they can leave their child. And no, 80 year old grandparents don't/can't look after a 3 year old for a long period of time. Do you know how fast they run....away?

You and the coach didn't talk about child minidng, did you? LOL

Fabrice Fan
02-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks pound cat! You must have a child/children...because you understand where I'm coming from!

Actually, we live in Oregon...so attending IW is quite a vacation for us. It involves plane tickets, hotel, rental car, etc..

I consider myself VERY lucky to have grandparents who are willing to go along on the trip and help watch our son for as long as they can! ha ha My grandma is 79, and my grandpa is 80....our son is 3...a 3 year old is a handful, to say the least. I can only leave them alone so long, as they will obviously get very tired trying to entertain him for hours.

I guess what I was hoping for was for someone who had attended IW in the past to assure me that there is always an employee hanging around the practice courts, and that they were generally nice and friendly...and more than willing to fill you in on when your favorite player was scheduled to practice.....That's all I know to do....hang around and hope to come across the right person!

It would obviously help my situation a great deal to know when Fabrice's matches and practices were. Then we could schedule our day around that. Even if it meant having to leave for awhile and come back later. I realize that that would mean paying for parking again....but beggers can't be choosers.

Fabrice Fan

ACE of Hearts
02-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Geez, i was just giving her another option if she had one.:rolleyes:

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 07:23 PM
FWIW, I tried to chat up Fabrice's coach last year during a match in Indy -- with absolutely no luck. Fabrice was looking to his coach after every point, and his coach was pretty obviously communicating with Fabrice with gestures and postures. My conversation with the coach went kind of like this:

"So, are you Fabrice's coach?"

[pause]

"Mmm-hmmm."

"How you think he's holding up out there?"

[longer pause]

"Okay."

[coach moves two feet futher away from me on grandstand bench.]

But anyway, IW is great, the first part of the week is busy with WTA and ATP matches both. Tough to count on seeing any one player for sure, but the favorite match I saw in 03 was Santoro v. Olivier Rochus, a great three-set battle out on an outside court.

See you next month, FF!
During a match? You're lucky you weren't pepper sprayed or physically removed. It's his *&(*$%^(& job to pay attention to the match.

ACE of Hearts
02-11-2006, 07:30 PM
True that.U dont wanna tick-off the magician:mrgreen: , he make u dissapear.

Deuce
02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
If you want to see Santoro playing singles, go very early, as he doesn't often stick around very long. There's always doubles, though.

And please let us know if he signss the autograph with both hands.

Fabrice Fan
02-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for trying to come up with other options for me Ace of hearts....but I don't have any other family members or friends that are willing and/or able to go on the trip with us.

I'm sure everything will work out. I just like to get as much planned in advance as I can...and if some fan would have known who I should contact, or what I could do to find out about practice times, it would have been really helpful. It would be wonderful if it works out where we could attend in the morning, then take off and give my grandparents a break in the afternoon, and return in the evening.....or something like that! I fear we'll show up, hang out for awhile...not find anything out....leave....come back later and find out we missed Fabrice practicing! I'm not worried about his matches, as they will be posted. It just seems like with practices I've heard you can get closer to the players and the atmosphere is obviously more laid back than in an actual match....so I really want to see at least one practice!

Fabrice Fan

pound cat
02-12-2006, 09:07 AM
A person who knows a lot about what goes on at tournaments is Susan who often posts here. She runs a Nadal site, but she may be able ot help you. susan@vamosrafael.com

Fabrice Fan
02-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks pound cat. I'll e-mail her...The worst thing that could happen is she wouldn't have any advice...and perhaps she would have a great answer for me! Thanks again.

Fabrice Fan

West Coast Ace
02-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm sure everything will work out. I just like to get as much planned in advance as I can...and if some fan would have known who I should contact, or what I could do to find out about practice times, it would have been really helpful. It would be wonderful if it works out where we could attend in the morning, then take off and give my grandparents a break in the afternoon, and return in the evening.....or something like that! I fear we'll show up, hang out for awhile...not find anything out....leave....come back later and find out we missed Fabrice practicing! I'm not worried about his matches, as they will be posted. It just seems like with practices I've heard you can get closer to the players and the atmosphere is obviously more laid back than in an actual match....so I really want to see at least one practice!

Fabrice FanIf you're this interested in just one player you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. The gates don't open until 1 hr before the first matches - if Santoro is up 1st he may practice before the public can get in.

Fabrice Fan
02-12-2006, 10:15 AM
You're absolutely right West Coast Ace. I realize we are taking our chances, and might get disappointed. I guess I was just trying to think positive when I said "I'm sure everything will work out". Sometimes I can fall into doom and gloom mode...such as....I know we'll never see a practice....this whole thing won't work out...blah,blah,blah...I was just giving positive thinking a try! ha ha

Your post made me think though....Is there any general rule of thumb about how long before a match the players try to practice? I realize nothing is set in stone....but is there an average....like they try to schedule practice 2 hours before their match...or 3 hours before...????? That would be helpful to know.....Try and check the practice courts each day "?" hours before the scheduled match....

Maybe I'll start a new post with that question, in case no one notices it here.....

Fabrice Fan

Deuce
02-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Since this is your first tournament, I don't know if you know this - reading through your posts in this thread indicates that you may not realize it... so, I just wanted to let you know that there will be other players at the tournament. Besides Santoro and his doubles partner, I mean. Honest.

That being the case, I suggest you try to watch a few matches where Santoro isn't playing. You may even discover that you enjoy watching tennis, and not just Santoro!

By the way - be careful with Susan. She's been known to be rather intolerant of those who obsess on any player other than Nadal.

Have fun.

Fabrice Fan
02-13-2006, 08:31 AM
I understand your point Duece...I seriously do. The reason it's all about Fabrice on this trip... is the fact that.... he is at an age in sports where you don't know which year might be his last. If he retires after this year, then this will be my only chance to see him play in person. Also, there is my time constraints...so I have to be picky about what I get to see this time.

Although this IS my first tournament I certainly hope it won't be my last! Therefore I hope to see other players eventually too! Also, this will only get easier the older my son gets. It will be cool when he can attend too...but right now there is no way that he would want to sit still, and be quiet, that long!

Fabrice Fan

GRANITECHIEF
02-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I watched Fabrice play J Johanson last year on one of the outside show courts. It was awesome seeing the magician playing against a giant server. He won that match, and you could just see his momentum building throughout the match. My friend kept saying, "he's reeling him in". FS came up with some astounding shots, lobs, BH's DTL, etc, at crucial times.

I'm hittin IW to spectate, Sat-Tues, on the middle weekend. I would guess i'll be watching Santoro play again this year.

Fabrice Fan
02-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Very cool GRANITECHIEF! We will basically be there the same time as you will be. We will just be there a day earlier, and you will be there a day later...that leaves 3 days the same!

I hope you have a blast! We are really excited about going!